Terrell Owens looks great - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Terrell Owens looks great

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:34 am

Shader wrote:I'm not moving him up because of one play. But I think this illustrates that having a qb that doesn't underthrow him will allow TO to dominate.

Errr, but the pass on the 81 yard touchdown WAS underthrown, TO had to slowdown and reach back for it. He was so open it didn't matter, mostly because the DB was clearly expecting a short route and played on Owens inside hip the whole way before biting hard on a stutter step.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Impressionable » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:34 am

Kensat30 wrote:Be prepared to see a lot more long TDs to Owens this season. A lot of people that don't know the situation in San Fran are totally underestimating T.O.

A lot of the times T.O. beat CBs deep, yet Garcia wouldn't throw him the ball. He waited until he got wide open before he threw, I'm talking 3 steps past him wide open. Not to mention that Garcia can't even complete a pass more than 30 yards downfield.... McNabb, bad accuracy or not, should open up a new dimension to T.O. that many people didn't know existed.

I've had Owens above Holt for the entire preseason simply because I knew Garcia would no longer be Owens QB.

Not only that, but with TO beating coverages, McNabb's accuracy will improve. And with TO getting double coverage from the secondary, other receivers will be freed up, further helping McNabb's accuracy.

bagobonez wrote:Wow. Owens got over on the Ravens' 3rd string cornerback. Something tells me that if Chris McAlister would have been covering him, he might not have been that wide open.

It's friggin pre-season people, come on.

Or he could have also torched McAllister and look even better. Exactly, it IS preseason, your assertion isn't any less ridiculous than saying TO is suddenly the best WR or 2nd best WR after Moss because of 1 catch.

The bottum line is that he looked good on that catch, and there is reason to be optimistic, though it is just preseason.
[[Placeholder]]
Impressionable
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:49 am

I have moved Owens up ahead of Holt, not because of this play but because the Rams Oline is garbage now and Bulger won't have any time to throw the ball. I think you may be disappointed if you draft Holt in the middle of the 2nd this year.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:42 am

Impressionable wrote:
Not only that, but with TO beating coverages, McNabb's accuracy will improve. And with TO getting double coverage from the secondary, other receivers will be freed up, further helping McNabb's accuracy.

No receiver is going to make any QB more accurate. If the guys are more open it will give him a bigger margin for error and maybe make his completion rate go up but it won't make him more accurate.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:56 am

Azrael wrote:
Impressionable wrote:

No receiver is going to make any QB more accurate. If the guys are more open it will give him a bigger margin for error and maybe make his completion rate go up but it won't make him more accurate.

I was about to say the same thing but you beat me to it. A wide receiver's presence on the field can not physically improve a quarterback's accuracy. A wide receiver has nothing to do with the angle of travel of the football from the quarterback's hand to the wide receiver himself. I assume you meant completion percentage. Besides, most teams could single cover Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell and be just fine. Double Owens, contain McNabb's running ability, and watch out for Westbrook on those swing passes and you can contain the Eagles' offense.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BrutallyHuge » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:27 am

bagobonez wrote:Double Owens, contain McNabb's running ability, and watch out for Westbrook on those swing passes and you can contain the Eagles' offense.

Can't you say that for any team? Make sure their QB doesn't run, double-team their best receiver and cover their RB. Wow. You solved the riddle of NFL football. Cover all their guys!

You can single cover other receivers, but you'll never be "just fine." On any team versus any team, you WILL NOT shut down a WR by single covering him on every play. You will get beat occasionally. With your amazinginly original defensive strategy, you'd single cover the other receivers all the time. Obviously, this would greatly increase the odds that the DBs there would get beat and I'm not even counting the emphasis on calling defensive contact.

I think the Eagles are in a MUCH better position than other teams. Take the Cowboys. You don't have to worry about geriatic Vinny running, so take that out. You don't have to worry about half-the-man-he-used-to-be Eddie George catching swing passes and doing anything with them. And the receivers, please. I'm not worried about an overhyped possession receiver catching 4 yard outs on the sideline. I'd be more worried about TO catching 81 yard bombs down the middle.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:28 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Double Owens, contain McNabb's running ability, and watch out for Westbrook on those swing passes and you can contain the Eagles' offense.

Can't you say that for any team? Make sure their QB doesn't run, double-team their best receiver and cover their RB. Wow. You solved the riddle of NFL football. Cover all their guys!

You can single cover other receivers, but you'll never be "just fine." On any team versus any team, you WILL NOT shut down a WR by single covering him on every play. You will get beat occasionally. With your amazinginly original defensive strategy, you'd single cover the other receivers all the time. Obviously, this would greatly increase the odds that the DBs there would get beat and I'm not even counting the emphasis on calling defensive contact.

I think the Eagles are in a MUCH better position than other teams. Take the Cowboys. You don't have to worry about geriatic Vinny running, so take that out. You don't have to worry about half-the-man-he-used-to-be Eddie George catching swing passes and doing anything with them. And the receivers, please. I'm not worried about an overhyped possession receiver catching 4 yard outs on the sideline. I'd be more worried about TO catching 81 yard bombs down the middle.

LOL, that was a pretty absurd statement.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:56 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:

Well my little defensive genius worked pretty well for the Panthers when they man handled the Eagles wide receivers and beat them in the Championship game, AGAIN, because the Eagles are a bunch of chokers and McNabb flopped in a big game again, like always.

You forget to mention Dallas had the #1 defense last year, and the running game finished 12th with Troy freaking Hambrick as the running back. I think Eddie George + Julius Jones > Hambrick. Keyshawn, Glenn and Bryant is not a bad trio of WR's either. There's no star in the group, but it's depthful, and they can get the job done when the running game is working.

If the Cowboys were so bad, why was Philly in danger of losing the division as late as Week 16?

Well that was last year, I know.

But have the Eagles really improved? On offense you can say they probably have, although the losses of Duce Staley and Correll Buckhalter are going to hurt more than you think. Westbrook, Buckhalter and Staley combined for like 2,400 yards and 29 TD's last year, and now 2 out of 3 pieces of that trio are gone.

On defense they have gotten worse. They let Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor go, and they better pray that Jevon Kearse can stay healthy and put some major pressure on the QB because those starting CB's are looking pretty suspect. Their run defense was terrible last year. I'm sorry, but I don't think simply adding Kearse is going to make this defense studly again. The Eagles still couldn't win the SUper Bowl when Hugh Douglas was on the team getting double digit sacks every year, so why should Jevon Kearse make any difference?

The Eagles are a good team, there's no question about that, you don't get to the Championship game 3 times in a row by being a bad team, but they and all their players are simply overated, and that's the end of the story.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jumpman8828 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:03 am

bagobonez wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:

Well my little defensive genius worked pretty well for the Panthers when they man handled the Eagles wide receivers and beat them in the Championship game, AGAIN, because the Eagles are a bunch of chokers and McNabb flopped in a big game again, like always.

You forget to mention Dallas had the #1 defense last year, and the running game finished 12th with Troy freaking Hambrick as the running back. I think Eddie George + Julius Jones > Hambrick. Keyshawn, Glenn and Bryant is not a bad trio of WR's either. There's no star in the group, but it's depthful, and they can get the job done when the running game is working.

If the Cowboys were so bad, why was Philly in danger of losing the division as late as Week 16?

Hello, the regular season is what counts in fantasy football, so I think we could all give a damn if they choke in the post season.

And he never said a thing about the Cowboys defense, so I have no idea why you brought that up. He was clearly talking solely about their offensive success for this upcoming year, not their defensive success last year.

Again, he never said a thing about the Cowboy's success as a team last year. He simply stated that a team like the Cowboys would be much easier to stop on offense than a team like the Eagles this year.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:10 am

It's a lot easier to double team Todd Pinkston and manhandle James Thrash than it is to get thrown around by TO. Plus with the new contact rule, manhandling of WRs is going to be eliminated.

At least the Eagles were in a position to choke, if I remember correctly, Dallas just got their asses kicked up and down the field by the Panthers when they played them in the playoffs.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk