Terrell Owens looks great - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Terrell Owens looks great

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby PSU All Day » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:11 am

Keep in mind that the new rules to prevent the DB's mugging the receivers past 5 yards will help the Eagles maybe more than anyone. Both Pinkston and Mitchel are less than imposing physically and were man handled all over the field in the game vs. the Panthers (mostly PAST the 5 yrd contact line).

While neither of those two are great receivers, they are much better than they showed in that game and will benefit greatly from the attention on TO and the new rule.

Also, LJ Smith has a lot of talent and may have a good year.

I have TO behind Harrison and Moss and almost even with Holt. I am VERY worried about Bulger's decision making in pressure situations and think he will be under the gun a lot this year.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PSU All Day » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:14 am

[quote="Canadian_Cheesehead"][quote]Well my little defensive genius worked pretty well for the Panthers when they man handled the Eagles wide receivers and beat them in the Championship game, AGAIN, because the Eagles are a bunch of chokers and McNabb flopped in a big game again, like always.

[/quote]

It's a lot easier to double team Todd Pinkston and manhandle James Thrash than it is to get thrown around by TO. Plus with the new contact rule, manhandling of WRs is going to be eliminated.

At least the Eagles were in a position to choke, if I remember correctly, Dallas just got their asses kicked up and down the field by the Panthers when they played them in the playoffs.[/quote]

;-D

Great minds...
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jumpman8828 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:15 am

Great minds...

Go on...

^
^
^
Anchorman reference (Well, when in Rome...) :-b
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby PSU All Day » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:19 am

Think alike. and apparently at the same time. :-B
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:19 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Well my little defensive genius worked pretty well for the Panthers when they man handled the Eagles wide receivers and beat them in the Championship game, AGAIN, because the Eagles are a bunch of chokers and McNabb flopped in a big game again, like always.

It's a lot easier to double team Todd Pinkston and manhandle James Thrash than it is to get thrown around by TO. Plus with the new contact rule, manhandling of WRs is going to be eliminated.

At least the Eagles were in a position to choke, if I remember correctly, Dallas just got their asses kicked up and down the field by the Panthers when they played them in the playoffs.

Yes, but no one even gave Dallas a chance of making the playoffs before the season started, but Dallas shocked everyone and overachieved and at least got there. The pre-season expectations for the Eagles were nothing short of a Super Bowl win, yet they failed to make it to the big game for the 3rd year in a row.

By all accounts last season was considered a success for Dallas and a failure for Philadelphia.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:22 am

jumpman8828 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Double Owens, contain McNabb's running ability, and watch out for Westbrook on those swing passes and you can contain the Eagles' offense.

Can't you say that for any team? Make sure their QB doesn't run, double-team their best receiver and cover their RB. Wow. You solved the riddle of NFL football. Cover all their guys!

You can single cover other receivers, but you'll never be "just fine." On any team versus any team, you WILL NOT shut down a WR by single covering him on every play. You will get beat occasionally. With your amazinginly original defensive strategy, you'd single cover the other receivers all the time. Obviously, this would greatly increase the odds that the DBs there would get beat and I'm not even counting the emphasis on calling defensive contact.

I think the Eagles are in a MUCH better position than other teams. Take the Cowboys. You don't have to worry about geriatic Vinny running, so take that out. You don't have to worry about half-the-man-he-used-to-be Eddie George catching swing passes and doing anything with them. And the receivers, please. I'm not worried about an overhyped possession receiver catching 4 yard outs on the sideline. I'd be more worried about TO catching 81 yard bombs down the middle.

Well my little defensive genius worked pretty well for the Panthers when they man handled the Eagles wide receivers and beat them in the Championship game, AGAIN, because the Eagles are a bunch of chokers and McNabb flopped in a big game again, like always.

You forget to mention Dallas had the #1 defense last year, and the running game finished 12th with Troy freaking Hambrick as the running back. I think Eddie George + Julius Jones > Hambrick. Keyshawn, Glenn and Bryant is not a bad trio of WR's either. There's no star in the group, but it's depthful, and they can get the job done when the running game is working.

If the Cowboys were so bad, why was Philly in danger of losing the division as late as Week 16?

Hello, the regular season is what counts in fantasy football, so I think we could all give a damn if they choke in the post season.

And he never said a thing about the Cowboys defense, so I have no idea why you brought that up. He was clearly talking solely about their offensive success for this upcoming year, not their defensive success last year.

Again, he never said a thing about the Cowboy's success as a team last year. He simply stated that a team like the Cowboys would be much easier to stop on offense than a team like the Eagles this year.

He said the Eagles are in a much better position than other teams. He didn't specifically state whether that be on offense only or the team as a whole.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:26 am

bagobonez wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:

At least the Eagles were in a position to choke, if I remember correctly, Dallas just got their asses kicked up and down the field by the Panthers when they played them in the playoffs.

Yes, but no one even gave Dallas a chance of making the playoffs before the season started, but Dallas shocked everyone and overachieved and at least got there. The pre-season expectations for the Eagles were nothing short of a Super Bowl win, yet they failed to make it to the big game for the 3rd year in a row.

By all accounts last season was considered a success for Dallas and a failure for Philadelphia.

So Dallas is happy with finishing behind the Eagles? I don't follow your train of thought.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:34 am

You know the point I'm trying to make. Obviously there wasn't a single team that was happy besides the New England Patriots last year, because every team's goal is to win the Super Bowl.

The point is that the Eagles were heavily favored to win it all, and Dallas was heavily favored to go 5-11 again.

Dallas overachieved, Philly underachieved. THAT's my point.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:41 am

I guess I can see what you're saying. I would personally rather have my team be better, rather than successful in comparison to low expectations.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chronic cameltosis » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:33 pm

bagobonez wrote:You know the point I'm trying to make. Obviously there wasn't a single team that was happy besides the New England Patriots last year, because every team's goal is to win the Super Bowl.

The point is that the Eagles were heavily favored to win it all, and Dallas was heavily favored to go 5-11 again.

Dallas overachieved, Philly underachieved. THAT's my point.

36-10. The score the last time the Eagles played the Cowgirls. enough said.
chronic cameltosis
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk