Buckhalter Down!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Buckhalter Down!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mistern » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:00 am

bagobonez wrote:
If Quincy Carter was so good, how come he cleared waivers?

Off topic, but it's because he's a crack addict. The same reason you guys cut him.
"I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad a turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastromi,.Some one needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself."
-mitch hedberg
mistern
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cardiac cats » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:17 am

seeeee ya buck... ya piece of shit ;-D
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Monty » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:20 am

cardiac cats wrote:seeeee ya buck... ya piece of shit ;-D

Hey, even if you dont like him... there's no need for profanity! O:-)
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cardiac cats » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:25 am

oh your right i was out of line.... seeeeeee ya buck, ya piece of feces ;-D
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:28 am

mistern wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

Off topic, but it's because he's a crack addict. The same reason you guys cut him.

My feeling is that the drug test was an easy way to get rid of Carter, but secretly they did not feel he was the answer. They had probably seen enough of his wobbly throws and bad decisions, and the drug test just pushed them over the top, especially since Parcells brought in Testaverde (a Parcells favorite) and Henson looks like he has more potential than Carter anyway.

I mean, if he was that good, someone would have claimed him whether he was failing drug tests or not. If the Ravens suddenly cut Jamal Lewis, I bet 31 other teams would put in a claim for him.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PSU All Day » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:58 am

Westbrook will not get 20-25 carries a game but will get 20-25 touches a game.

Look for the Eagles to change the game plan a bit (they already were doing this a good bit last year with him) to get Westbrook into the flat with a LB on him. They will use that play as a short run type play.

The Eagles are really high on Reno Mahe and he did well in the first expedition game albeit against the #2/3 defense. He is small but a bit of a fire plug of a back. Look for Mahe to come in and get 5-10 carries a game in relief of Westbrook.

If Westbrook gets hurt look for Mahe to split time with Tepah (more on him later) unless the Eagles pick up another back.

Perry is out for the season with a dislocated shoulder.

The biggest change will be in short yardage where the FB's might get a little more touches. John Richie is the starter but is a pure blocker only (had only one rush in 2003).

Thomas Tepah is the second string FB and is a rookie, but played some RB in college (Minnesota) in single back sets.

College stats:
played in 43 games (15 starts), totaling 1,957 yards and 24 TDs on 410 carries. Also went 18-213-2TDs receiving.

I might pick up Tepah late (last pick) and stash him on the bench if I can afford it.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mistern » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:04 pm

bagobonez wrote:
mistern wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

My feeling is that the drug test was an easy way to get rid of Carter, but secretly they did not feel he was the answer. They had probably seen enough of his wobbly throws and bad decisions, and the drug test just pushed them over the top, especially since Parcells brought in Testaverde (a Parcells favorite) and Henson looks like he has more potential than Carter anyway.

I mean, if he was that good, someone would have claimed him whether he was failing drug tests or not. If the Ravens suddenly cut Jamal Lewis, I bet 31 other teams would put in a claim for him.

But Jamal Lewis hasnt failed any drug tests yet and is innocent until proven guilty. I believe Carter failed multiple drug tests and was facing a suspension, but correct me if I'm wrong. I think that Carter would have done better than Vinny this year, so if he wasnt a crackhead then the Cowboys would have kept him around until at least Henson came around.
"I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad a turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastromi,.Some one needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself."
-mitch hedberg
mistern
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:45 pm

mistern wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
mistern wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

But Jamal Lewis hasnt failed any drug tests yet and is innocent until proven guilty. I believe Carter failed multiple drug tests and was facing a suspension, but correct me if I'm wrong. I think that Carter would have done better than Vinny this year, so if he wasnt a crackhead then the Cowboys would have kept him around until at least Henson came around.

Pretty sad that the best QB on the Cowboys was a "crackhead".
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby maddog60 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:19 pm

bagobonez wrote:That's exactly the thing. Westbrook IS too small to carry the full load. I mean, when has he EVER carried the full load?

You ever look at the listed height and weight of running backs? Here's a short list of current NFL running backs with similar or less size to them as Westbrook. A few of these guys might object to being too small to carry a full load.

Westbrook: 5'10" 205

Barber: 5'10" 200
Bennett: 5'11" 211
Dunn: 5'9" 180
M. Faulk: 5'10" 211
Garner: 5'10" 190
Griffin: 5'7" 195
Martin: 5'11" 210
Portis: 5'11" 205
Suggs: 6'0" 205

Now Barber gets criticized for his fumbling, Faulk for his history of injuries, but in general except for Dunn and Griffin, there's been no real worry about the size of these running backs. Yet, somehow Westbrook is definitely too small. When Marshall Faulk who is the same height, but only 6 pounds bigger has had one of the best careers as a full-time running back, it seems pretty silly to say Westbrook is too small to carry the ball 300 times.

Now, yes, one might come to the conclusion that those 6 pounds matter, because it makes Faulk bulkier, and able to withstand more punishment. Then look at Clinton Portis (consensus fantasy first rounder and 2 time Denver full time RB), who is one inch taller than Westbrook, but the same weight. By that logic, he's less bulky, less able to withstand punishment (albeit only slightly), yet he's not too small to carry the full-time load either.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:43 pm

maddog60 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:That's exactly the thing. Westbrook IS too small to carry the full load. I mean, when has he EVER carried the full load?

You ever look at the listed height and weight of running backs? Here's a short list of current NFL running backs with similar or less size to them as Westbrook. A few of these guys might object to being too small to carry a full load.

Westbrook: 5'10" 205

Barber: 5'10" 200
Bennett: 5'11" 211
Dunn: 5'9" 180
M. Faulk: 5'10" 211
Garner: 5'10" 190
Griffin: 5'7" 195
Martin: 5'11" 210
Portis: 5'11" 205
Suggs: 6'0" 205

Now Barber gets criticized for his fumbling, Faulk for his history of injuries, but in general except for Dunn and Griffin, there's been no real worry about the size of these running backs. Yet, somehow Westbrook is definitely too small. When Marshall Faulk who is the same height, but only 6 pounds bigger has had one of the best careers as a full-time running back, it seems pretty silly to say Westbrook is too small to carry the ball 300 times.

Now, yes, one might come to the conclusion that those 6 pounds matter, because it makes Faulk bulkier, and able to withstand more punishment. Then look at Clinton Portis (consensus fantasy first rounder and 2 time Denver full time RB), who is one inch taller than Westbrook, but the same weight. By that logic, he's less bulky, less able to withstand punishment (albeit only slightly), yet he's not too small to carry the full-time load either.

We'll find out soon enough what Mr. Westbrook can handle. I think he'll be fine personally.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk