First year with defensive players in place of team DEF. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

First year with defensive players in place of team DEF.

Moderator: Football Moderators

First year with defensive players in place of team DEF.

Postby godallahstar » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:48 am

Can anyone give me any helpful hints?
who to target? which positions?
which rounds?
which defensive players are equivalent to say Moss, Portis, Etc.
basic ( i think? ) scoring system,

Tackle Solo (1)
Tackle Assist (0.5)
Sack (3)
Interception (3)
Fumble Force (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (3)

the league is huge,
18 teams,
and the defensive slots are:

D
D
D

DB
DB

DL
DL

Now, My guess is shutdown corners aren't very helpful, as my buddy pointed out - they won't be thrown to much, and what are they gonna do? get you 70 fantasy points?

But yeah, i haven't done this before and i'm guessing any obvious things i may be missing, could be very helpful, or painful if not tended to.
godallahstar
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Judono » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:26 am

I would have to say that safetys and linebackers would do well with that type of scoring system. According to your system, Ray Lewis was by far the best defensive player last year. I would definately target him. Keith Bullock, Keith Brooking, Derrik Brooks and Donnie Edwards are some good linebackers. Roy Williams, Rodney Harrison, Ed Reed, and Rhonde Barber are some good DBs. Watch out for Sean Taylor of Washington as well.
Judono Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:42 am

if this is in yahoo, go to the D players and sort by fantasy points. This should give you a good idea how players faired last year. If you arent in yahoo, make a dummy yahoo league w/ those stats so you can see how those players did

Also, does your DL group both defensive linemen and linebackers? Thats the way yahoo does it, but im not sure for your league

Basically Ray Lewis is the king of defense for the LBs

Rodney Harrison is the king of the DBs

If DL means you have to start linemen, they arent as deep as the other positions, and, you want to make sure you get at least one of the better ones (Strahan, Taylor, Rice, Rucker, etc)

If DL means LB + DL, then you may not even draft a real defensive linemen since LBs are the most consistent defensive players
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby inferno19 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:06 am

Yeah, Yahoo includes LBs as DL.
They're more valuable because they get sacks and INTs and tackles.
Try and grab Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, Urlacher, Arrington, etc....but if you dont get them, no worries, because you can get guys like Jamie Sharper much later, and he led the league in tackles last year. Also look for Donnie Edwards.
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: First year with defensive players in place of team DEF.

Postby georgiadawg » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:05 pm

the league is huge,
18 teams,
and the defensive slots are:

D
D
D

DB
DB

DL
DL

Are you sure you are drafting this many IDP's? If you are also drafting a conventional offensive lineup it will take an unreasonably long time to finish an 18 team draft. I am also in an 18 team league and it is our first year using IDP. Coincidnece, or do you think we might be in the same league?
georgiadawg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby godallahstar » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:24 pm

i ended up taking ray lewis in the 2nd round, 33rd overall - i believe. everyone had some type of odd response to it, and through the 4th round he's the only Defensive player to have gone. i think im going to wait for a while, and then take more top tier D players, since they are all so against taking them early - i could get some steals.
godallahstar
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:26 pm

I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bnjamin10 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:16 pm

take as many linebackers as possible like...

Brooking..barrow....bulluck...edwards ...andra davis david thortan and ofcourse ray lewis

For dbs try to grab some good safeties...like rodney harrison, ed reed, could probably nab dawkins late along with sean taylor

Thats my defense in my league
D: Keith Bulluck
D: Donnie Edwards
D: Andra Davis
DB: Rodney Harrison
DB: Sean Taylor
bnjamin10
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk