Serious talks between Bears and Miami - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Serious talks between Bears and Miami

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VaderFin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:26 pm

Flux wrote:My guess for this trade would be that they are going after an offenseive linemen and a WR.

MIA is dissapointed in Vernon Careys ability to play RT at this point and moved him to RG. They now have John St. Clair at RT who is ok at best.

It's not that the Fins have been down on Carey it's that they have been really down on the other RGs in camp. They want to get the best 5 lineman playing and feel Carey is going to be better at RG then anyone else they have. Carey played guard and tackle at Miami so he can do either easily though he does prefer tackle.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jumpman8828 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:26 pm

VaderFin wrote:No way the Dolphins trade Ogunleye for Thomas unless ALOT more is thrown into the deal. They are not going to trade a Pro Bowl DE for a below average running back. Now Travis Henry.....that I could see getting done if the Bills would be willing to do it.

I have stated this once before but I will do so again....the Fins have denied agent Drew Rosenhaus permission to negotiate with other teams. No team would trade for Wale without first negotiating a long term contract. If we hear that Drew is negotiating with someone....THEN think a trade may happen.

I doubt Ogunleye would do as good on the Bears as he did on Miami with Taylor opposite him.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flockers » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:28 pm

Flux wrote:My guess for this trade would be that they are going after an offenseive linemen and a WR.

MIA is dissapointed in Vernon Careys ability to play RT at this point and moved him to RG. They now have John St. Clair at RT who is ok at best.

CHI on the other hand has Aaron Gibson sitting behind Tait at RT, and Gibson apparently has looked very good and quick this preseason.

MIA is also in the need for a WR who can stretch the field, and are desperate for one. The Bears have never liked David Terrell and his fat contract.

IF a trade goes down, I would look for those needs to be addressed before going after A-Train.

Good analysis Flux! ;-D I have to agree with him here, the Phins have more problems than at RB and they won't give up Ogungleye or however you spell his name... for a seond-tier running back.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby VaderFin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:35 pm

jumpman8828 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:No way the Dolphins trade Ogunleye for Thomas unless ALOT more is thrown into the deal. They are not going to trade a Pro Bowl DE for a below average running back. Now Travis Henry.....that I could see getting done if the Bills would be willing to do it.

I have stated this once before but I will do so again....the Fins have denied agent Drew Rosenhaus permission to negotiate with other teams. No team would trade for Wale without first negotiating a long term contract. If we hear that Drew is negotiating with someone....THEN think a trade may happen.

I doubt Ogunleye would do as good on the Bears as he did on Miami with Taylor opposite him.

You are probably right. But Wale is a legit talent...he would have been a first round pick and a much more known name if he hadn't hurt himself in college. The Dolphins got a major break getting him undrafted now they just need to get him signed and playing.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:35 pm

VaderFin wrote:

It's not that the Fins have been down on Carey it's that they have been really down on the other RGs in camp. They want to get the best 5 lineman playing and feel Carey is going to be better at RG then anyone else they have. Carey played guard and tackle at Miami so he can do either easily though he does prefer tackle.

I actually think he prefers Guard b/c Tackle in the NFL is a pain to learn, and he played Guard his last year in college

I posted this link in the Miami forum, it explains the move

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2004/08/17/a10c_finsnotes_0817.html

Frustrated Dolphins move top-pick Carey to guardBy Greg A. Bedard

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

DAVIE — In what must be a sign that he has been a disappointment thus far, first-round draft pick Vernon Carey was moved from right tackle to right guard Monday, a day that brought a lot of changes to the Dolphins' offensive line.

"I don't know, maybe the light will go on and we'll see something with one of these backup guys," coach Dave Wannstedt said. "We moved Vernon and a couple of guys inside. Maybe something shows up different at guard than it did at tackle."

Taylor Whitley was first-team right guard and Greg Jerman was moved to backup right tackle. Rex Hadnot moved from center to left guard and Billy Yates from guard to center.

"Let's put a couple of those guys in there and see how they practice, let them get some work," Wannstedt said. "If something really grabs my attention, then we might stick with it."

The Dolphins gave up a fourth-round draft choice to move up one spot in the draft to select Carey, so the team seemed almost certain he would be the answer at right tackle. Instead, he has had a tough time learning the new position, which doesn't surprise left tackle Wade Smith.

"It's definitely tough to play tackle coming in from college," said Smith, who did it as a rookie last season. "He didn't even play tackle last year. Picking up the offense is the biggest thing. This early in the season, I hadn't even picked up the offense."

Carey, who played right guard for Miami last season, said he's looking at the move as an opportunity, not a demotion.

"I feel good that I can make a push for the starting lineup," Carey said. "It's great to be doing it now as opposed to the first or second game of the season. I've got to take advantage of this."

The emergence of unheralded John St. Clair also has factored into the decision. For St. Clair, a permanent home at right tackle has made the difference this season. The Rams had the fifth-year player moving among six positions — including tight end — sometimes from practice to practice.

To me, that sounds as if he wasnt living up to expectations at RT
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:02 pm

Ogunleye will not be anywhere near as good if he plays anywhere else aside from the Dolphins. I could line up opposite Jason Taylor and get 10 sacks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brdmaverick » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:44 pm

Ogunlye was traded to the Bears for WR Marty Booker.

It is dependent upon Ogunlye signing with the Bears.
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jumpman8828 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:59 pm

When was this? Link?
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Impressionable » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:01 pm

jumpman8828 wrote:When was this? Link?

Yeah, I'm watching ESPNEWS and I don't see it yet, I'd like a confirmation also.
[[Placeholder]]
Impressionable
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby JohnnyTitan » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:02 pm

I couldn't find a link, but its all over the Bears fan forum. Booker & a 3rd rd pick next year for Ogun. is the word there.
JohnnyTitan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk