Bears trade Booker for Ogunleye; link - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bears trade Booker for Ogunleye; link

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VaderFin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:48 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
IRON CHEF wrote:
indecisiv wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Wow. When Boston comes back, do the Dolphin's switch to a permanent 3-wide set? How can you sit a Chambers, Boston, or Booker on any given series? I think this is definitely a move in the right direction for the Dolphin's. This has got to be the most talented WR trio in the league. Ricky Who?

I doubt they'll keep all three for 2005.

That is what I was thinking. What would they do with all that WR talent. Then, why would you trade for someone to play for you...for one year? I dont think Miami is a contender for the SB this year. So why bring in someone to help you for one year and not getting to the SB and then watching them walk? I guess to save your job but someone up stairs has to have a say. Which might in turn just be to save a horrible season and keep the fan base up wich = $$$

Good point, why get Booker if he is only a rental for a lost season? Unless they plan on keeping him and not Chambers and Boston.

But I am still wondering if and when the deal will go down.

I'm assuming they would let Boston go and keep Booker if Booker plays well.

Nope. There is no reason they can't keep all 3 if Booker's contract is reasonable. Boston has a low base salary and mostly incentive laden contract, I don't think he is going anywhere either.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:53 pm

Found some details on Bookers deal.....

He signed a 7 year $28 million contract in June of 2002. It included a $5.5 million signing bonus and the Bears would have to eat the remaining prorated bonus while the Dolphins trade Ogunleye who is without a contract currently. Looking better and better for my Fins.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:47 pm

6 years $36M for OG. Deal is done.

With those good draft picks and now a pro bowl DE, the Bears D is looking kinda scary in the NFC North.
Last edited by KingGhidra on Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GMoney » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:47 pm

question is... should I be trading booker as fast as possible for a guy like Roy/Reggie willaims......

or maybe brandon Lloyd?

or should i hold on and hope to god this deal dont work out?
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby VaderFin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:49 pm

KingGhidra wrote:6 years $36M for OG. Deal is done.

With those good draft picks and now a pro bowl DE, the Bears D is looking kinda scary in the NFC North.

Good move for the Dolphins. Bad move for Booker fantasy owners.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby indecisiv » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:50 pm

sigh...this drops booker in my books. they just announced it on espn and were like "he only had 52 receptions last year. Not too good". Lets forget the consecutive 100 reception seasons and the fact he had like broken ribs last year. Thats ok.
indecisiv
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby VaderFin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:07 pm

Reading Chicago Bear boards they think the Fins got a steal of a deal. Interested to see what Bears fans here think......
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Flux » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:09 pm

link from yahoo

Bears Swap Booker for Dolphins' Ogunleye

by Christian Peterson - Associate Editor, Fanball.com
Sunday, August 22, 2004
The Dolphins have reportedly completed a deal that sends holdout defensive end Adawale Ogunleye to the Chicago Bears for wide receiver Marty Booker and a third round draft pick in 2005.

The trade was contingent on the Bears reaching agreement on a contract with Ogunleye. The imposed deadline for the deal (8:30 EST) came and went Saturday night with no official word on whether or not the deal had been consummated. Late Saturday night, however, it was reported that the Bears agreed with Ogunleye on a six-year, $36 million deal, including a signing bonus worth $15 million.

Booker, a former Pro Bowler, had a down year in 2003, but has several 1,000-yard seasons on his resume and has scored 18 touchdowns over the past three seasons. He immediately upgrades the Dolphins' attack, however we are very wary of the ability of either A.J. Feeley or Jay Fiedler (whichever wins the quarterback job out of training camp) to deliver the ball with any consistency to any of their receivers.

The Dolphins have been devastated by injury and retirement on the offensive side of the ball. After losing Ricky Williams to recreational marijuana use, the team lost receiver David Boston to season-ending knee surgery. Boston was expected to complement promising fourth-year receiver Chris Chambers, and after his injury the team was down to Derrius Thompson as one of their starting receivers.

Booker had been a sleeper candidate with the Bears, but the move to Miami decreases his fantasy value. Instead of being the main option in a wide open offense led by an inexperienced quarterback (Rex Grossman), Booker is now option number two (behind Chambers) in more of a ball-control offense led by either an equally inexperienced quarterback (Feeley) or a veteran who has never put up huge passing numbers (Fiedler).

With that said, his presence upgrades whoever wins the quarterback job in Miami's prospects slightly, although the team still has too many problems along the offensive line and at running back to count on for consistent fantasy production.

Offensively for the Bears, the move is somewhat curious. Booker was arguably the only sure thing in an offense that will be featuring quarterback Rex Grossman in a new scheme with a new offensive coordinator. The offensive line is a strong point, and the team must now hope that running back Thomas Jones can grind out yardage on the ground. Booker was to be an integral part of a passing attack that is now left with second-year man Justin Gage and former first-rounder David Terrell, who has been a huge disappointment thus far in his career, as their starting receivers.

Go ahead and upgrade both Gage and Terrell slightly on your cheat sheets, but don't go overboard. Someone has to catch passes in coach Lovie Smith's new offense, but without the dependable veteran Booker in the lineup, Grossman will have even more trouble adjusting in his first full year as a starter. Gage was ahead of Terrell on the depth chart prior to the trade, and is the more attractive fantasy option for the Bears.

Ogunleye has been holding out so far this preseason and told the Dolphins this week he was willing to sit out the majority of the season. The sticking point with the Dolphins was reportedly the Fins' desire to spread his signing bonus out over two years, which Wally and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, originally balked at. Recently, however, Rosenhaus was reportedly willing to work out a deal with the split bonus structure. The Bears were able to meet Ogunleye's demands Saturday.

Ogunleye significantly upgrades a pass rush that registered a meager 18 sacks in 2003. The Bears had recently been shuffling their defensive line in an attempt to get more out of their current personnel. That problem is solved, as Ogunleye had 15 sacks by himself last year.

He has reportedly been working out regularly and, assuming he reports to the Bears in shape, we expect Ogunleye to make an immediate impact. We were tentative in ranking Wally too high in our individual defensive player rankings during his holdout, but if he is in the lineup on opening day, he is a top five option at defensive end.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SoxFanPJ » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:36 pm

Bears fan here

I love the deal.

OG is nasty and the bears have not been able to generate any pass rush from thier linemen in recent seasons.

I think they where willing to part with Booker because he is more of a possession reciever and not the big play speed guy that the new offense will be built around.

Looks like if Terrell fails to break out this seaosn he has no one but himself to blame.
SoxFanPJ
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IRON CHEF » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:40 pm

I don't really understand how this helps the Bears. As it was previously stated in this post, O Gun isn't nearly as good without Taylor at his side. Terrell as a #1? I personally wouldn't put my money on Terrell being a true primary receiving threat.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk