Giants like Ike: WR Hilliard returning - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Giants like Ike: WR Hilliard returning

Moderator: Football Moderators

Giants like Ike: WR Hilliard returning

Postby Slingblade » Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:46 pm

The Giants have made their first free agent move of the offseason and they used it to re-sign one of their own player.

SportsLine.com has learned the Giants have agreed on a multiyear deal with free-agent wide receiver Ike Hilliard, who spurned interest from the Redskins, Dolphins among other teams.

Hilliard, a former first-round pick of the Giants, will return next season to be the Giants' No. 2 wideout behind WR Amani Toomer.

Last year, it appeared Hilliard would leave via free agency after the season and the Giants believed they had another reliable option in Ron Dixon. However, Dixon has had too many lapses in responsibility and the team has actually had to suspend him for missing meetings last year.

Hilliard was knocked out for the season last year on a controversial hit by Eagles safety Brian Dawkins. At that time, it appeared his Giants career was over. Now, he will start a new beginning that could have him a Giant for the remainder of this career.

Hilliard's best season was 1999 when he grabbed 72 passes for 996 yards and three touchdowns. He became more of a go-to guy for scoring over the next two seasons by hauling in an impressive 14 scores over the 2000 and 2001 campaigns.

Hilliard had some courters, most notably the Dolphins, who offered a $500,000 signing bonus and incentives.

The deal with Hilliard is the second for the Giants this offseason as they locked up tackle Luke Petitgout just before free agency began.

Stupid move. They don't need him...they have toomer...dixon and carter.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SiouxCitySavages » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:33 pm

I like Ike....hehhe....It is a suprise to me that NYG kept him. Two years ago he was on the outs with the organization, now they give him props......Hilliard is a great talent and he is definitely a better WR than Dixon and Carter......Look for Ike to have a big year
SiouxCitySavages
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Indy Dragons » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:49 am

Ike has killed me before, so don't expect me to be drafting him this season! His on-again, off-again, relationship with the Giants reminds me of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton (I believe that is his name, but I'm doing this early in the morning, and haven't had my first Pepsi, so I may be wrong).
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kashikis » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:24 am

theres nothin wrong with Ike, hes not a spectacular WR but is better than dixon. Carter has the potential but has yet to show that he can step up although next year i see he possibly supplanting Dixon as the #3 WR for the team. they just wanted to make sure they had somebody else on the other side of the field with solid hands if nothing else. that would give them Toomer, Ike and Shockey which is a formidable passing game especially with Tiki coming out of the backfield
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Slingblade » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:07 pm

it raises toomers fantasy value...since he isnt the only target
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk