Thomas Jones - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas Jones

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Wolverine » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:19 pm

I was in the exact same position as you in my draft this weekend, #5 in a 12-man draft. Here's how it played out:

Ahman Green
Chad Johnson
Thomas Jones

T.O. was gone by the 16th pick. The way I see it, Jones at the 29th pick could be the move that will win fantasy squads championships this year. My reasoning on that is that he'll likely be selected somewhere between the 18-20th RB off the board at that position. If you look to last year's 2003 fantasy season, you can see what players ended up with to receive the 18-20th end of season ranking:

#18) Barber, Tiki RB NYG - 278 att, 1215 yards 4.4 YPC, 2 TD, 69 rcpts, 461 yards, 6.7 ypc, 1 TD, 6 FL, 152 fantasy points
#19) Martin, Curtis RB NYJ - 323 att, 1308 yards, 4.0 YPC, 2 TD, 42 rcpts, 262 yards, 6.2 ypc, 0 TD, 2 FL, 152 fantasy points
#20) Barlow, Kevan RB SF - 201 att, 1024 yards, 5.1 YPC, 6 TD, 35 rcpts, 307 yards, 8.8 ypc, 1 TD, 4 FL, 146 fantasy points

Based on this, all you need to do really is convince yourself that Thomas Jones is a lock for equivalent fantasy production in 2004. Based on what's coming out of the preseason, I don't see why that isn't easily possible, but with the upside to far exceed that type of production. I am convinced that Thomas Jones can at least produce enough to warrant him as the #18 RB but has plenty of upside to him that could see him finish much higher than that by year-end.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby madmike » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:39 pm

I'm very high on TJ and feel with the new system in Chicago he will have a breakout year. I have him higher than the others mentioned. Grab him in round 3 and run.
-Mad Mike
madmike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bryan1327 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:48 am

After reading all these posts on Jones..I am very happy that he slid all the way to round 6 to me in a 12 team league.. I think the system the Bears have in now will really boast his value..should be interesting to watch..
"I am a shining example of what you never wanna be" TESLA '04
bryan1327
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:54 am

Westbrook
CBrown
TJones
KJones
Suggs

I still think Suggs is in the worst situation even if he is the #1 undisputed starter. Cle is going to have a hard time running the ball this yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dans » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:58 am

For anyone who has already drafted, does Suggs fall to the mid 4th of a 12 team draft? I'm wondering if I could grab TJ at 29 and Suggs at 44.
Dans
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Guy Who Doesn't Believe In Thomas

Postby Johnny Ballgame » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:25 am

DraftDodger wrote:Suggs is a monster stud and I doubt he'll end up sharing as much time with Will Green as the other 3 RBs will in their RBBC situations.

I put him first.

The only Bears RB I'll draft is Forsey, and then only in the final round of the draft.

DD - you may want to reconsider the whole Forsey stance - here is something pulled from the Whispers post here on the cafe (I think Jones will have a monster year by the way):

"Because the Bears aren’t sold on RBs Adrian Peterson or Brock Forsey as the backup to Thomas Jones, the coaching staff is beginning to fret over Anthony Thomas’ absence from training-camp workouts. Thomas reported to camp in the best shape of his life but missed all but three days of camp with an injury the team called either a “side” or an “abdominal strain.” Head coach Lovie Smith has been very vague in setting a timetable for Thomas’ return. The Bears question Peterson’s toughness — he missed 10 games with a sprained ankle last year — and aren’t sure Forsey fits the new system".
"You using the whole fist there doc?" - Irwin M. Fletcher
Johnny Ballgame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moose_ffc » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:33 am

I think T. Jones is awesome. How could you not like him!

It's not unusual to be loved by anyone
It's not unusual to have fun with anyone
but when I see you hanging about with anyone
It's not unusual to see me cry,
oh I wanna' die
It's not unusual to go out at any time
but when I see you out and about it's such a crime
if you should ever want to be loved by anyone,
It's not unusual it happens every day no matter what you say
you find it happens all the time
love will never do what you want it to
why can't this crazy love be mine
It's not unusual, to be mad with anyone
It's not unusual, to be sad with anyone
but if I ever find that you've changed at anytime
it's not unusual to find out that I'm in love with you
whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby PSU All Day » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:04 pm

[quote="Cornbread Maxwell"]Westbrook
CBrown
TJones
KJones
Suggs

I still think Suggs is in the worst situation even if he is the #1 undisputed starter. Cle is going to have a hard time running the ball this yr.[/quote]

;-D

Cleveland will be passing a lot since they will be behind by 14 points before the coin toss. Detroit as well.

Chicago is just going to suck all around again this year. Tennessee will be good but I am not sold on Chris Brown being better than Westbrook right now. Westbrook has at least played a down in the NFL (two years in fact) and shown he can be explosive.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:26 pm

PSU All Day wrote:[Cleveland will be passing a lot since they will be behind by 14 points before the coin toss. Detroit as well.

Chicago is just going to suck all around again this year. Tennessee will be good but I am not sold on Chris Brown being better than Westbrook right now. Westbrook has at least played a down in the NFL (two years in fact) and shown he can be explosive.

The problem with Detroit isnt that they will be scored on quickly as you might suggest, but rather that they might have a hard time stopping the run - something that doesnt mean they will have huge deficits to make up. DET will have a pretty balanced attack.

CBrown averaged about 5 carries a game last yr, so he isnt completely inexperienced.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:28 pm

Seriously, we should combine all the Thomas Jones threads into one 10000 post super-thread.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk