Q.Carter will be a NYJ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Q.Carter will be a NYJ

Moderator: Football Moderators

Q.Carter will be a NYJ

Postby Smizzy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:28 pm

He will meet with the jets and with our #2 QB Ricky Ray,he will be inkeed and be thge #2 man for the Jets
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:30 pm

is this speculation by you or has this actully been discussed?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JayM09 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:04 pm

link

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Free-agent quarterback Quincy Carter, released by the Dallas Cowboys on Aug. 4 after allegedly testing positive in violation of the NFL substance abuse policy, flew to New York on Monday night and will meet Tuesday with Jets officials, ESPN.com has learned.

League sources said that, if the session goes well, Carter might fairly quickly sign a one-year contract to serve as a backup to Chad Pennington. Several teams have inquired about Carter but most had opted to wait for a resolution of his proceeding in front of a special master, in which the NFL Players Association has charged the Cowboys violated statutes of the collective bargaining agreement in releasing him.

The CBA stipulates that a player cannot be released solely for violating the substance abuse policy. Dallas officials have insisted they were well within their rights to cut the player who has been their starting quarterback the past three seasons.

New York apparently was more aggressive than other teams interested in Carter, in part because it has no experienced depth at the backup spots. Carter has not been suspended by the league and is free to sign with any team.

The projected primary backup to Pennington, second-year veteran Brooks Bollinger, is sidelined by a sprained knee. The No. 3 quarterback on the depth chart is former CFL star Ricky Ray, who is in his first NFL training camp.

Basically, the aim of Carter is to get back into a structured football environment, maybe get some snaps this season, and then go back into the free agent market next spring as an unrestricted player.

Carter, 26, was the Cowboys' second-round pick in the 2001 draft. In three years, Carter started 31 games and completed 507 of 902 passes, for 5,839 yards, with 29 touchdown passes and 36 interceptions.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
[b]cafe leagues
nkl 9-6 #3 seed, runner-up
budbowl 10-5 #3 seed. 3rd place
vxl 11-4 #1 seed, runner-up
gbffl 10-5 #2 seed, lost semis
cafe champs 12-4 #1 seed, runner-up[/b]
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NYJETS1381 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:16 pm

I don't want him. Right now the only druggie is Evans but he seems to have straightened his act out. Besides him we have a very classy team. Before you know it Carter will have Chad doin lines with him!!!!
NYJETS1381
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Smizzy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:32 pm

NYJETS1381 wrote:I don't want him. Right now the only druggie is Evans but he seems to have straightened his act out. Besides him we have a very classy team. Before you know it Carter will have Chad doin lines with him!!!!

We need a back up QB and this kid is a starter who mplayed in all 16 last yr.he is the best option for us right now and is a great pickup.

Penny
Carter
R.Ray

with Bollinger released,is music to my ears.
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:35 pm

id stand pat with ricky ray. i watched this guy in the cfl and he is awesome. now the cfl is lower calibre, but ray has accuracy and instinct, two things you really cant teach.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kanezfan11 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:35 pm

That's a good idea for the Jets. Plus Bollinger sucks, so thats a plus too.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Smizzy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:50 pm

portisfan24 wrote:id stand pat with ricky ray. i watched this guy in the cfl and he is awesome. now the cfl is lower calibre, but ray has accuracy and instinct, two things you really cant teach.

You would take a CFL QB over aguy who started all 16 games last yr under parcells?

yea ok :-t
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby IRON CHEF » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:54 pm

A couple days ago I read somewhere here at the cafe that the Jets were having problems with Ray and Bollinger. And sure enough a few days later they are aiming at Carter. I think I would rather have him as a backup than Ray, especially considering he has been less than impressive.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Smizzy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:12 pm

IRON CHEF wrote:A couple days ago I read somewhere here at the cafe that the Jets were having problems with Ray and Bollinger. And sure enough a few days later they are aiming at Carter. I think I would rather have him as a backup than Ray, especially considering he has been less than impressive.

You can't honestyly expect anybody to come over from the CFL and play well behind the jets 3rd string offense.

Bollinger was a wasted draft pick,he might be smart & a coaches son like Pennington,he can't put it together on the field and he should be cut ASAP.

Ray has show flashes of a big arm and good pocket presence,as a #3 QB and learning behind Chad and quincy will help his game and he could very well become a legit #2 QB in the NFL .
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk