rookie breakout - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

rookie breakout

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby allmotorjunkie » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:42 pm

I like Reggie Williams WR for JAX to have an unexpectedly good rookie season.
allmotorjunkie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:47 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I was gonna let this die, but seriously dude, I like how you discount any RB that flopped when not in a "good situation," but ANY RB that exceeded you say was in a good situation, lmfao.

Since when is 3rd string on a team in its second year with a dreadful O-line a good situation (DD)?

Would you consider Tatum Bell to be in a good situation? He's in a much better situation than Portis was...

Yup - situation determines production.

DDavis - didnt he get the starting job only after week 6 or so when the other RBs got injured? Seems like situation determining production to me. Their Oline I wouldnt say was dreadful either. Also - he was shut down by some serious defenses and excelled against poor defenses - would you call that situation determining performace too? I would.

Tatum Bell - no - not with Griffin leading the way. I can see him taking over and being in a wonderful situation in DEN, but not unless Griffin chokes - something I dont see happenning. Griffin is in a great situation though. Theres an example of two guys who play the same position on the same team having different situations - uh oh.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:15 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I was gonna let this die, but seriously dude, I like how you discount any RB that flopped when not in a "good situation," but ANY RB that exceeded you say was in a good situation, lmfao.

Since when is 3rd string on a team in its second year with a dreadful O-line a good situation (DD)?

Would you consider Tatum Bell to be in a good situation? He's in a much better situation than Portis was...

Yup - situation determines production.

DDavis - didnt he get the starting job only after week 6 or so when the other RBs got injured? Seems like situation determining production to me. Their Oline I wouldnt say was dreadful either. Also - he was shut down by some serious defenses and excelled against poor defenses - would you call that situation determining performace too? I would.

Tatum Bell - no - not with Griffin leading the way. I can see him taking over and being in a wonderful situation in DEN, but not unless Griffin chokes - something I dont see happenning. Griffin is in a great situation though. Theres an example of two guys who play the same position on the same team having different situations - uh oh.

You clearly said RB's put into situations of Immediate Impact.

See this is your biggest problem with your whole arguement. Hindsight is 20/20, we're looking at rookies here, you can't honestly look back and say DD was drafted into a good situation because you knew the #1 and #2 rb's were gonna go down hurt by week 6...give me a freaking break.

Also you discredit some RB's from my list as not being in a "good situation" because they were on bad teams, yet you count Dillon and his Bengals, the Colts of the mid-90's, the Texans, etc etc.

As for:

Doesn't this sound awfully familiar? Wasn't Portis a 2nd round speed back with fumble problems drafted by the Broncos and not set as the starter by this point? He didn't start until week 3. The only difference is Denver LOST their starting RB this year, but didn't the year Portis was drafted, which seems to put Bell in a BETTER "situation".

The point is you can't say what a good situation for RB's is, because all you've done is look back and found good RB's, then blindly proclaimed they were in a good situation just because they did well whether they actually were or not.

ANyhow, I don't want to pollute this thread with any more off-topic garbage, so I'm not responding to anymore of your topsy-turvy "hey I can make a good pick if I already know the future" stuff.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:34 pm

Free Bagel wrote:ANyhow, I don't want to pollute this thread with any more off-topic garbage, so I'm not responding to anymore of your topsy-turvy "hey I can make a good pick if I already know the future" stuff.

Reading the landscape and predicting the future is what fantasy is all about. Past stats without understanding the situations that caused them will mislead you.

Generalizations are silly.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:37 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:Rookies suck.

The only rookie I want on my fantasy team is Sean Taylor if I was playing in an IDP league. Or maybe Steven Jackson because Marshall Faulk will get a yeast infection.

LOL.... Thank you....

I've been touting Jackson because of the reoccurence of Marshall's annual labial injury all offseason... I'm glad someone agrees...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby King Tim » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:38 pm

Johnny Ballgame wrote:I think that it's the other Jones boy who will come up big by the end of the year and that's Julius in Dallas.

I couldn't agree more. ;-D Eddie is done and J. Jones has looked great and Billy P loves the kid. He'll be the man by week 3 or 4 imo.
Chris Mortensen: You can make a case for both QBs (Marino @ Elway) when talking about the "greatest ever", but in terms of just physical talent, John Elway was hands-down the most gifted quarterback who has ever played football.
King Tim
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk