We all need a K, why not John Hall? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

We all need a K, why not John Hall?

Moderator: Football Moderators

We all need a K, why not John Hall?

Postby MadScott » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:41 pm

Please remember when reading this that I do know that we are talking about a kicker here, but we all need one right? The more that I read about him and his situation the more I like him as a late pick. He's never been the most accurate kicker in the world, as he's a career 73.7% which is on the low side. He does, however, sport one of the better long legs in the business as he hit 4 of 7 last year from 50 plus and 13 of 26 for his career. This is especially enticing if your league rewards for length of field goal. Couple these numbers with the fact that Chip Lohmiller had at least 40 field goal attempts (an NFL record) in each of Gibbs' last 4 seasons with the Skins and there is potential for a very nice year for Mr. Hall. Thoughts?
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheHeat24 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:27 pm

I think hall will do good this year but I think Jay Feely will do better and might even come at a lower price because of his bad year last year.. plus he kicks indoors... Hall however would not be a bad option...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:29 pm

Damn you madscott.

I am a firm believre in drafting a kicker in the last round, and thtas what i do. Mr. John Hall is always there, and i always get him, and if this topic prevents me from getting him in the future, i may report this topic to the mods.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spindr » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:35 pm

Chip Lohmiller is probably the best fantasy football kicker ever.

If Gibbs can turn the Redskins around then Hall should have plenty of scoring chances. As long as he converts, he should be a top 5 kicker this year.

I just hope no one else in my league is thinking the same thing.
spindr
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby MadScott » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:41 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:Damn you madscott.

I am a firm believre in drafting a kicker in the last round, and thtas what i do. Mr. John Hall is always there, and i always get him, and if this topic prevents me from getting him in the future, i may report this topic to the mods.
LMAO! Sorry leafs, had to do it. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that feels he may be of some value. Like I said, a kicker is a kicker but he does seem to have some positive trends going for him.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:44 pm

I noticed the # of long FGs that hall made last year, too. What I want to know is if Gibbs will try those long FGs or play more conservative and punt. Enlighten me MadScott, for you seem very knowledgeable about Gibbs past.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby MadScott » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:28 pm

I'm having an awful time finding Lohmiller's stats as they breakdown per attempt but these are the years I was referring to:

| 1989 was | 29 40 72.5 | 41 41 | 128 |
| 1990 was | 30 40 75.0 | 41 41 | 131 |
| 1991 was | 31 43 72.1 | 56 56 | 149 |
| 1992 was | 30 40 75.0 | 30 30 | 120 |

As you can see, his FG connect % wasn't all that impressive, but is right in line with Hall's. He had a booming leg as well so I'm assuming that Gibbs tried his share of long FGs. That being said, I believe that Gibbs' last tenure predates the FG rule change that is currently in place for missed FGs. I'd still think that Gibbs is going to take his chances on those around the 50 mark as Hall showed he's got leg to do it.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:20 pm

A discussion about John Hall. :-b

But seriously he is a great kicker to have if all others are taken. I never draft a K until the end and a guy like Hall is who I am for.

How would you guys rank him with Ks like Janikowski, Nedney, Carney, and Anderson?

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadScott » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:32 pm

IRON CHEF wrote:A discussion about John Hall. :-b

But seriously he is a great kicker to have if all others are taken. I never draft a K until the end and a guy like Hall is who I am for.

How would you guys rank him with Ks like Janikowski, Nedney, Carney, and Anderson?
I've got him ranked ahead of all of the guys that you just listed. He's in a better offense than Seabass. I've got questions about Nedney after his injury. Carney is really starting to show his age and may have lost his nerve somewhat after choking on that extra point v. JAX. For the love of humanity, will someone please put Anderson out of his misery! Actually, he's in a nice system but he doesn't have that 45+yard leg anymore.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:11 am

Nedney is having a great camp!

from rotoworld:

Joe Nedney continues to kick well in Titans camp.
He hit kicks of 49 and 51 yards on Tuesday. He's an excellent last-round kicker pick with Tennessee's explosive offense.
Source: Nashville Tennessean
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk