Aikman calls for change in defensive/offensive ratings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Aikman calls for change in defensive/offensive ratings

Moderator: Football Moderators

Aikman calls for change in defensive/offensive ratings

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:24 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7610861 wrote: (The following is a copy of a memorandum sent by Troy Aikman to the NFL's Competition Committee to change the way offenses and defenses are rated.)

(Aug. 24, 2004) -- Dear Competition Committee:

I am writing to request that you consider changing the way the NFL keeps track of the top offenses and defenses in its statistics.

Currently, the offensive and defensive team rankings are based on total yards. For instance, the Minnesota Vikings led the NFL in total offense last season. That's based purely on the fact that they had more yards than anybody else. However, they did not lead the league in points scored, first downs, rushing yards, passing yards or third-down efficiency.

The No. 1 defense is based on a team having allowed fewer yards than anyone else. In 2000, the Baltimore Ravens set an NFL record for fewest points allowed in a 16-game season (165) and won the Super Bowl with what many consider one of the best defenses in league history. But the top-ranked defense that year, based on fewest yards allowed, belonged to the Tennessee Titans.

You can see why I don't agree with the system that is currently in place.

The ranking system should be like the passer ratings for quarterbacks. Whoever wins the passing title has won that title based on a system in which several factors are calculated into every pass you attempt: Yards per completion, yards per attempt, touchdown ratio and interception ratio.

I think they should do the same thing for total offense and total defense. The categories for both would be as follows:

Yards per play
Points scored
Turnovers
Red-zone efficiency
Third-down conversions

Whoever came up with the equation for the passer rating should be able to take all this data and come up with a formula to determine the top-ranked units. That way, when we talk about a team being the "No. 1 offense," we're talking about a group that is truly efficient and impressive.

Because when it's just a matter of yardage, the passing teams are always going to rank higher. The Colts ranked third in total offense last year, but all that meant was that they had a ton of passing yards. The Colts led the NFL in passing yards, but they ranked 19th in rushing.

Changing the way we measure these statistics would not only be for the fans' benefit. In fact, it's more for the benefit of assistant coaches around the league. A lot of coaches get jobs based on what their units do statistically. There are a lot of offensive coordinators around the league that really want to throw the ball around, because it's more appealing -- it looks better and gets them noticed a little bit more.

I've talked to coaches about this and I have yet to hear any of them say, "I don't agree with you." Those that I have spoken with think it makes sense. Because then the No. 1 team is No. 1 for a good reason.

I understand no formula is perfect. If a quarterback plays great while driving his team down the field, but his team runs the ball into the end zone, and then he throws a few interceptions, his rating is hurt. If a quarterback wisely throws the ball away to avoid a sack, it hurts his rating. There are always things you can point to and say it's not a true barometer. But this idea is a better one that what's currently in place.

The passer rating was implemented in 1973. Obviously, somebody thought it was worthwhile to do. It's a way that you can judge quarterbacks and get a fairly decent idea as to how well they're performing. You should be able to do the same thing with team offense and team defense.

Thank you for considering this idea. I'd be happy to discuss it further at the next Competition Committee meeting.

Yours,
Troy Aikman

I've like the idea. I've always thought the current system was a little... lacking.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:27 pm

OK, what egghead typed this up for him? :-B

It is a very good idea though. Yardage alone doesn't determine the overall abilities of a defense. I liked all the stat categories listed. Maybe they should include Sacks and Hurries also...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:30 pm

Ya thats a good idea. The current system is pretty worthless.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jumpman8828 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:31 pm

I agree. It always got me a little angry when a team like the Cowboys or something was advertised in the paper as the "top defensive team" because of the yardage...when teams New England were shutting down opponents and not letting them score (which is, after all, more important than if you give up X amount of yards).
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby zombiez » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:34 pm

Imagine that comeing from a former Cowboy..lol..I actually like the idea, sounds more efficent
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Manja » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:54 pm

jumpman8828 wrote:I agree. It always got me a little angry when a team like the Cowboys or something was advertised in the paper as the "top defensive team" because of the yardage...when teams New England were shutting down opponents and not letting them score (which is, after all, more important than if you give up X amount of yards).

The Cowboys were near the top in every category except for turnovers (and sacks, I know they lacked in both but not sure what their ranking was), so you have to give them some credit.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby fantasyfiend » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:29 pm

aikman has always been one of the more intelligent speakers in the NFL...during pre-game and postgame shows...on the radio...and now on fox's A-team broadcast booth.

to say somebody wrote that for him is a reach...aikman is intelligent enough to put together a solid thought provoking peice such as this one..effortlessly.
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:32 pm

to say somebody wrote that for him is a reach...aikman is intelligent enough to put together a solid thought provoking peice such as this one..effortlessly.

Most would call it sarcasm...as that was the intent of it anyway. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jumpman8828 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:41 pm

Manja wrote:
jumpman8828 wrote:I agree. It always got me a little angry when a team like the Cowboys or something was advertised in the paper as the "top defensive team" because of the yardage...when teams New England were shutting down opponents and not letting them score (which is, after all, more important than if you give up X amount of yards).

The Cowboys were near the top in every category except for turnovers (and sacks, I know they lacked in both but not sure what their ranking was), so you have to give them some credit.

True, but to me the top defense should be the one that doesn't let their opponents score.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:15 am

jumpman8828 wrote:
Manja wrote:

True, but to me the top defense should be the one that doesn't let their opponents score.
And according to Aikman's proposal it sounds like all of this would be factored in to determine who is #1 across the board. Nice idea. Let's see if it will happen. We can put a man on the moon but we can't decide on a college football playoff system or who the true #1 defense/offense is in the NFL.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk