Torry Holt - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Torry Holt

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:38 am

Dub-Dub wrote:I hate trading before the season... grrrr.

If you can get Moss and not take TOO big a hit at RB, do it...

If you can get Harrison straight up, do it...

If you can target a Chad Johnson, Hines Ward, or T.O. and get a slight RB upgrade, do it...

If you can get a Mason, S. Moss, S. Smith, Coles, or Horn and a good upgrade at RB, then I'd do it...

If you can't nail one of those guys down, then you need to get a serious upgrade at RB out of the deal...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re:

Postby Scania22 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:53 am

I agree that Holt will have trouble matching last years numbers - mainly because he was off the chart last year. He is still a top 4 receiver.

The fact that the Rams may have a down year this year will probably help Holt's numbers not hurt them. Teams that are losing often have inflated passing numbers as they are forced to try to come from behind. Couple that with the fact that Martz loves the passing attack, and Holt is still in line for very good numbers.
Scania22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:54 am

I think you guys are totally on the ball. I've already thrown Bulger underneath everyone but Jeff Garcia in my top QB rankings, and now I'm ready to rank Holt down with the TO/Hines/CJ crowd.

I think their in-division competition (Seattle, SF especially) could really take advantage of their line problems. Even if Pace comes back, one side of the line is going to be suspect. Who else thinks the Rams will be pulling a Steelers O-Line trick from last year (switching players from position to position on every down)? It didn't work to well for them (sorry guys). Faulk is going to be involved a lot at the beginning of the year for dumpoffs, and this (for the 23,482th time) only increases his chance of being injured (or being a stud again).
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:40 am

Well - I guess Im in the other camp on Holt - not only will he earn his high price this yr, but it will be the last yr he is rated lower than Marvelous Marvin. The funny thing is that this opinion is a complete reversal from 3 months ago when I first saw Holt ranked as a top 5 WR. Back then I saw overpriced right away - now after further study of the situation I think he is worth it.

Of course Im concerned with STL Oline. I do think Pace will sign relatively soon, which is going to have an immediate impact.

I think Bulger is a very good QB - and his INT problems are pretty normal for a guy that was thrown into the fire like Bulger was - he should improve that aspect of his game in time as he develops - not necessarily this yr. Dont get me wrong - I still have him in the 10-12 fantasy QB range, and Im never going to take him as my #1 unless something unforseen happens.

The reason I have Holt as high as I do is because of the relationship between Bulger and Holt - it has become clear that Bulger's favorite target is Holt. Even though Holt was double teamed last yr didnt stop Bulger from forcing it to him - the high ints are proof. And yes, Holt was double teamed last yr too which didnt lead to a good yr for Bruce, so there goes that theory. Holt is talented enough to catch in double coverage, he proved it last yr.

As for the Rams - yeah they are gonna have to play catchup often this yr - their D isnt gonna be able to stop anyone - a lot of high scoring games. If they make the playoffs I will be shocked.

As for Bruce - from what Ive seen and read is he has simply lost too much - he looks like a shell of his former self. Its not like he is a step slower - he's 3 or 4 steps slower. The sad thing is that he is only 32. He has been in decline for a few yrs now, and this yr he hasent done anything differently to shake out of his fall, so why should I think it will happen?

Holt is the best offensive weapon the Rams have and Bulger knows it - he will go to Holt over and over this yr - watch.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Holt

Postby Ghostrider » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:24 pm

Ok Guys. Auto draft lg. I got Cpepp- Holt- Kmac- LT2- J Jones-Roy W-Wheatley-BULGER-Bruce

What do you suggest to alleviate my STL problems?

A.Trade Bruce for different w/r
B.Trade Holt for w/r and r/b
C.Dump them all in the Mississippi.
Ghostrider
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby wizbang » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:33 pm

I agree with Cornbread. Holt has three things going of him: 1. talent 2. a QB that likes to throw him the ball AND 3. More importantly a coach that likes to throw the ball.

He'll get his and while the offense in general may take a step back it still was a Top 5 offense last year. Meanwhile Arizona was horrid, had a horrible OL, two bottom feeder QBs and even with that a rookie WR was able to go wild of defenses.

IMO, this is a situation where it doesn't pay to overanalyze. If you need WR and Moss, Harrison and TO are gone YOU TAKE HOLT. No questions asked.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:36 pm

No one is suggesting that Torry Holt is now in the same class as Darrell Jackson...

But he his now on the same tier as Chad Johnson and Hines Ward, and no where near the same tier as Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tman570 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:08 pm

I have em ranked like this
Tier 1
1. Randy Moss
2. Marvin Harrisson
3. Terrell Owens
4. Tory Holt
Tier 2
5. Chad Johnson
6. Hines Ward
7. Santana Moss
8. Joe Horn

I would stay that holt is still top 4 and a tier 1 guy but johnson could be a better wr this year.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk