10 team vet doing first 12 team - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

10 team vet doing first 12 team

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby alrock718 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:55 am

ok, i need help from you seasoned 12 teamers.. I'm picking 2-23-26 etc..

i already know Holmes is going 1. so i'm taking LT 2..that's the easy part. all the rankings i've seen have guys like Stephen Davis and Rudi and Tiki and Charlie garner and Westbrook ranked in the spot where i would get my next pick. I personally don't trust any of those guys. Westbrook, is a little enticing, but he's had all sorts of nagging injuries, and doesnt seem to be wanting to play thru pain. but he's a possibility. so, should i do this:
LT
Westbrook
and then a WR?

or should i wait..because I'm liking Chris Brown more and more, and I like Kevin Jones' upside. Also I think Lee Suggs could be the potential steal of this draft, ala Fred Taylor was in his rookie season (also Randy Moss' rook season) but William Green as you know looms over Suggs. so one 2 fumble game by LS then we have a rb by comitee scenario. so should i do something like this?

LT
A Stud WR like TO, or Chad, or Hines?
and then Brown, or Kev Jones?

or should I do:
LT
Westbrook
and then Brown or Kev Jones?

and then have trade bait?

HELP!! I'm stressing!! ;-)
alrock718
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Johnny Ballgame » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:06 am

I've been in a 12 team league for going on my 7th year and I have the same questions every damn year!!!! If I'm you - Brown or Jones will probably still be there in the 3rd when you draft (it's only 3 picks later) so I would probably grab a stud WR (provided one is there) with your second round pick and then get Brown over Jones. If you take 3 RB's - you'll be looking great at RB but you have to wait 20 picks and your receivers will get thinner and thinner to choose from. I always like to have one really good Recevier on my team (I don't think people value receivers enough - if you get a great receiver it can make the difference in wins from week to week). Hope this helps.
"You using the whole fist there doc?" - Irwin M. Fletcher
Johnny Ballgame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby alrock718 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:22 am

appreciate the help man. It just became a 12 teamer today and the draft is tonight..so i had a nice 10 team strategy all prepped and then wham! so you do like Brown over Jones? how bout the 4th pick? do i go another WR and sure up my corp? running the risk of a shallow backfield? or should i get another runner (perhaps Lee Suggs?) and then a WR on the turn?

i's thinking get the depth at RB first, and because 3 picks later a same level WR will still be there that would be there 3 picks earlier...make sense?
alrock718
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:39 am

Lee Suggs in the 4th? No way.

Get another WR. I don't like passing on starting stud WRs so I can have 'depth' at another position.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:43 am

The more teams in the league the more scarce RBs get.....so don't be afraid to pick-up a couple early.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby East Bay Ray » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:02 pm

I'm kinda in the same boat you are. 12 man leaugue, but I have the 1st pick. My strategy is RB is the first 3 rounds unless a WR like Hines Ward or Santana Moss is there.

I'm not as worried in the WR position because in the 4th and 5th round, there will be more suitable WRs than RB.

If I take Holmes in the 1st and take 2 WR next, whos my second RB going to be by the time the end of the 4th rd comes? If Holmes gets injured, them I'm in deep yogurt because I'll have no backs.

The only thing I am worried about is drafting someone to high. Kevin Jones could last till the middle of the 4th round, but I dont know if I want to take a chance of him dissapearing before then. So do I take him with my 3rd pick? Could be a little high.

Lots of strange things happen in the draft so I'll see.
East Bay Ray
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby alrock718 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:38 pm

i hear ya man. I'll probably go lt, wr, rb..but the thought of taking 3 rb's is a little tempting. i really think i could walk out of the 1st 3 rounds with something like TOmlinson, Westbrook, C. Brown..and by week 3 i could have some major trade potential. i really think Brown is going to be a big time player this year. and although not right now , he'll soon be worth a Chad Johnson and others etc..i have the same faith in Suggs and K Jones too. I've noticed people are really not high on Suggs, and I personally think he's going to be the steal of this draft. a lot of mock's i've seen for 12 teamers have him going late 4th to mid 5th. so i could take a chance and wait on him i suppose.

thoughts on Westbrook? like him? not like him?
alrock718
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Re: 10 team vet doing first 12 team

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:40 pm

alrock718 wrote:i hear ya man. I'll probably go lt, wr, rb..but the thought of taking 3 rb's is a little tempting. i really think i could walk out of the 1st 3 rounds with something like TOmlinson, Westbrook, C. Brown..and by week 3 i could have some major trade potential. i really think Brown is going to be a big time player this year. and although not right now , he'll soon be worth a Chad Johnson and others etc..i have the same faith in Suggs and K Jones too. I've noticed people are really not high on Suggs, and I personally think he's going to be the steal of this draft. a lot of mock's i've seen for 12 teamers have him going late 4th to mid 5th. so i could take a chance and wait on him i suppose.

thoughts on Westbrook? like him? not like him?

Wait. You want to draft Chris Brown in the 3rd, sit on him until week 3, then trade him for Chad Johnson, who you could've had in the 3rd round anyway?

You'd be losing 2 weeks of WR production for an even draft place swap.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby alrock718 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:45 pm

it's more 'cause i wouldn't trust Westbrook to stay healthy..i mean what has he done to make people feel comfy? it's all moot anyway, i'm more than likely going LT, WR (more than likely Chad) and then Brown or Westbrook (assuming they are both there)..i don't like Bennett St. Davis Tiki or Garner.

and your thoughts on westbrook? :o)
alrock718
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Football Talk