Reasons for early drafts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Reasons for early drafts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:07 pm

9er Fan wrote:I'm in three leagues this year and none of them have drafted yet, but that said, one big advantage of earlier drafts is the ability to trade with the other owners. If you were to draft, for instance, 4 RBs in the first 4 rounds because guys you liked were slipping, then proceeded to lose week 1 and 2 because you had crappy WRs and great RB production on the bench (and didn't have enough time to swing a trade), that's a shame. Draft date shouldn't really dictate that you must draft your starters first or else.

GREAT point. ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:16 pm

bungle613 wrote:
Favre.com wrote:Because people get ansy!

I have a ton of leagues in my spare yahoo IDs where I draft all through the preseason games as mock drafts.

This bothers me. There is a great site called Antsports where you can do mock drafts. If you are using Yahoo and continuing to play on Yahoo, fine. If you are JUST mocking on Yahoo... stay of the god damn site and find a site that is specifically for mocks.

I create leagues in Yahoo specifically for mocking. I advertise it that way and managers join knowing that's the purpose of it. I've got pretty good feedback from others when I've done this. I even had a couple people join that were new to Yahoo. They were happy to have done the draft because if gave them a chance to get more familiar with the draft room window and how the live draft works, that way they didn't feel completely lost when their real draft happened.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flux » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:24 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
9er Fan wrote:I'm in three leagues this year and none of them have drafted yet, but that said, one big advantage of earlier drafts is the ability to trade with the other owners. If you were to draft, for instance, 4 RBs in the first 4 rounds because guys you liked were slipping, then proceeded to lose week 1 and 2 because you had crappy WRs and great RB production on the bench (and didn't have enough time to swing a trade), that's a shame. Draft date shouldn't really dictate that you must draft your starters first or else.

GREAT point. ;-D

haha you HATE trading dont you :-b

I think you have traded w/ just about every team now in the DKL 8-o
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Favre.com » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:41 pm

sleeper wrote:Favre, if you'd change your avatar, I suspect you wouldn't get such harsh reactions.

That's one ugly face.

Aww...I seriously think everyone loves Favre but some just won't admit it.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:43 pm

Flux wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

GREAT point. ;-D

And more lined up when this latest one clears... ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Favre.com » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:59 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
Flux wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

GREAT point. ;-D

And more lined up when this latest one clears... ;-D

Man, whyc an't I find a league with owners like you. I am all about trading and I have an endless amount of trades in mind, but except for me and maybe 1 other guy the rest in my league are either inactive, or just reject and never counter, and never post their trading blocks or what they want, and don't reply to PMs.....

Get me into one of your leagues next year ;-D
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby pmac_03 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:07 pm

everyone does get ansy, but i must say our group is getting better. over a two year span we have moved our draft (its a keeper leauge) from april/may to august first. that was impressive, but still bad (you dont know who wins the RB battles etc. and injuries which makes them almost dumb to draft guys to early or not at all.)
crusaders treasurechest member: east-waterdown gunners. bills fan. going to opening day vs. jax!

pmac.
pmac_03
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Johnny Ballgame » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the posts - sorry to cause the controversy surrounding Yahoo leagues and as a Bears fan I don't really need to see Favre's face so damn much! I see it enough during the regular season. I'll post my team after our draft (Sept. 6th!). I do see all of your points about getting ansy and I do too but since we have a lot of money riding in our league we wait as long as possible - I guess if I were just doing it for fun only then I may see it differently.
"You using the whole fist there doc?" - Irwin M. Fletcher
Johnny Ballgame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby madmike » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:44 pm

Easy...it was really hard to get a common date when everyone could draft in my league. This year we had to draft early simply because it was the only weekend date everyone could make.
-Mad Mike
madmike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Rodge » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:34 pm

madmike wrote:Easy...it was really hard to get a common date when everyone could draft in my league. This year we had to draft early simply because it was the only weekend date everyone could make.

In the money league that I play in, it is understood that every year the draft is always on the Saturday morning that is a week before the opening Sunday of the regular season. By having it the same day every year, everyone knows way in advance to ask for work off and to not make any plans on that Saturday. Last year we had to replace someone in the league because he was stupid and forgot to ask for that day off work and then couldn't get out of work; too bad for him, he knew the rules.
"I won't get you sixty, but I'll get you ten sixes."
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk