Javon Walker making case for top WR gig - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Javon Walker making case for top WR gig

Moderator: Football Moderators

Javon Walker making case for top WR gig

Postby Warpigs » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:03 pm

Inside Dish: Packers' Walker making a strong case to start

By Dan Pompei - SportingNews

The development of Javon Walker is forcing Packers coach Mike Sherman to make an interesting decision. Walker arguably has been the Packers' best receiver in training camp, and he finished out the 2003 season very strong. So it appears Walker belongs on the field every down. Who will Sherman take off the field to keep Walker on it? It could be Donald Driver, a starter for two seasons and a clutch player. Driver could be an outstanding nickel receiver. Sherman also could bench Robert Ferguson in favor of Walker, but it seems inevitable that Walker, a 2002 first-round pick, and Ferguson, a 2001 second-round pick, will be in the starting lineup together eventually. . . .
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kanezfan11 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:04 pm

I read this too, I thought he was the main main already... didn't know he was on the outside looking in. :-?
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Warpigs » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:10 pm

Well, I thought so, too, and I think that is really what everyone expected -- What I think the big deal now is for the Packers is where to have everyone on the field and which guy will be losing time as they give Walker the reins.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:48 pm

I thought Walker was atleast No. 2 going into training camp. It was a surprise to me that he was even battling for a starting job.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:33 am

favre still spreads the ball around too damn much for this too matter. i honestly think that all 3 of those guys could end up as the leading receiver. damn you favre!
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:48 am

portisfan24 wrote:favre still spreads the ball around too damn much for this too matter. i honestly think that all 3 of those guys could end up as the leading receiver. damn you favre!

Exactly.

Javon is being taken way too high in most drafts. I believe before preseason Driver and Ferguson were starters, but as expected Walker has challenged them. I have said this time and time again, this Ahman's team. Even when Favre is throwing the ball he has 4 different viable targets to choose from. Who cares if its Walker's third year, I feel many of his owners will be dissapointed this year.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:06 am

His draft price is still too high. A guy with a career high of 41 receptions shouldn't be going in the 4th/5th round.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:11 am

KingGhidra wrote:His draft price is still too high. A guy with a career high of 41 receptions shouldn't be going in the 4th/5th round.

I totally agree, and as we have seen he's the #3 WR right now. Driver is going later, and Ferguson may not even be drafted at all. I think either of those 2 could put up the same #'s as Walker, or close to it, but can be had at a MUCH cheaper price
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk