Is KJ a lock? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is KJ a lock?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is KJ a lock?

Postby a4ce » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:47 pm

Is Kevin Jones a lock to start in Detroit? 2004 was the year that Artrose Pinner to comeback fully from his injury. He looks good so far but then again, it's just pre-season.
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Favre.com » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:01 pm

Looks like split carries with jones getting the majority. he is definetly the future though, might even take over fully if he shows the coach something during the first game or two.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:11 pm

I agree with what was said above-

I think Mooch is going to take his time developing Jones and have him split carries. Pinner will probably get a lot of the short yardage stuff- But if he progresses well fast he might take over the spot by the end of the season-

Here was an article on Pinner at the Lions website-

From Burner To Bruiser (And Back Again)

Versatile Pinner Fully Equipped to Handle Lions' Rushing Load
By Jay Clemons
DetroitLions.com
August 24, 2004

Lions Tailback Artose Pinner

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Artose Pinner is the rarest form of today's NFL athlete.

Whereas most running backs require months (and even years) to transform their ball-rushing-styles -- through the assistance of proper nutrition and intense weight training -- from speedy-elusive to rugged-powerful, the 26-year-old Pinner only needed one day.

Technically, less than 24 hours.

Here's the deal: From his legendary preps career up to his sophomore year at the University of Kentucky, Pinner was pegged as a fast, agile, slashing-type of ball carrier, more comfortable double-deking a defender than rummaging through one for extra yardage.

"It's so weird, people in high school or even college would laugh if you would have said, 'Artose is a power runner,'" explains Pinner. "I was more elusive; I'd put on a show -- running right to left -- for everyone. I probably only ran over four guys in my whole career."

But everything changed during an afternoon session of Kentucky's preseason two-a-day practices.

"I just started running over people in practice, to see how it felt," he recalls. "And then the next (morning), I tried to run outside on a play and a (coach yelled), 'Hey, you can't run outside...you're a power runner now.'"

Pinner's overnight morphing to a power rusher runs similarly to his ascension as a viable NFL playmaker. In his first three seasons with the Wildcats, Pinner had difficulty emerging from the pack as the No. 1 tailback, often splitting time with two or three teammates.

But in his senior season of 2002, Pinner rose from the depths of obscurity to become the SEC Offensive MVP with 1,414 rushing yards (5 yards per carry) -- while leading his team to a respectable 7-5 campaign. In fact, he and quarterback Jared Lorenzen (aka "The Hefty Lefty" or "JLoad") formed the conference's most potent offensive duo that season.

On the heels of his great senior campaign, Pinner encountered a setback during Senior Bowl Week in January 2003, suffering a leg fracture, which most likely hindered his first- or second-round potential in the NFL Draft. The Lions, however, took a flier on the Hopkinsville, Ky. native, selecting him in the fourth round -- with the mindset the 2004 season would be his genuine opportunity to shine as a professional.

Now fully healthy and possessing the requisite speed and power to compete for the Lions' No. 1 tailback job -- against rookie Kevin Jones and veteran Shawn Bryson -- Pinner is fully prepared for the task at hand.

"You have to prepare like you have nothing...as if you're the free-agent guy who's trying to make the team," says Pinner, a self-described "laid-back-happy" guy away from football. "You've got to have that type of mindset; you have to train like you have nothing."

Being a professional athlete affords Pinner many opportunities, especially the chance to enhance his already-impressive collection of remote-control cars. This hobby may be his passion, but Pinner favors simple speed cars to ones of impressive, yet impractical design -- essentially function over form.

"I'm not at the level (of people who obsess) with gas and custom-made stuff (for their cars,)" says Pinner, whose yellow Ford GT remains his most prized remote-control-car possession. "I probably have my share of lemons, but I probably also have the fastest car."

Pinner's speed-power combination in college helped produce the run of his life in 2002. In the Wildcats' 44-22 thumping of Middle Tennessee State, Pinner took a sweep, spun out of two separate gang-tackles near the line of scrimmage, dashed 40 yards to the MTSU 5, lost his shoe and then carried a defender into the end zone for a touchdown.

"That was a good one," says Pinner, with a deadpan expression.

Becoming a Kentucky Wildcat was never a given for young Pinner, whose childhood friends influenced him into cheering for the University of Tennessee. But despite a stellar preps career -- which included 5,829 rushing yards and a stunning 8.3 yards per carry -- Pinner opted for Kentucky bluegrass over Tennessee "Rocky Top."

But even at Kentucky, Pinner had to scratch-and-claw for his share of the limelight.

During his senior season, ESPN visited Lexington for an entire week, chronicling the team's exhaustive preparations for a conference home tilt versus South Carolina. When selecting the storylines surrounding UK football, the cable giant focused on a musically gifted offensive lineman (Antonio Hall) and the team's rotund, quirky quarterback (Lorenzen).

Despite having MVP numbers, Pinner was relegated to part-time status when the documentary aired on television.

"I enjoyed the experience, but the focus was not really on me...more on some of the other guys," says Pinner, whose favorite Ben Stiller movie is "There's Something About Mary." "I was having a great season, but (ESPN) didn't really follow 'The Life of Artose' at the time."

ESPN's lack of foresight in chronicling Pinner was quite a surprise, indeed. Usually, networks move mountains to tell the story of an overnight sensation.
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk