Ricky Williams NEWS - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ricky Williams NEWS

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby myintrotoletyouknow » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:18 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I'm probably alone in this, but I actually feel for Ricky. His history of depression and anxiety probably makes his life a living hell. It's probably why he uses marijuana. It's a shame the media can't leave him alone.

I don't feel sorry for him. Life is tough on everybody, and I think my life would be alot less tough if I was a millionaire. But you don't see me running from my problems and trying to smoke my problems away.

Man up and face life head on.

just because hes a millionaire doesnt mean hes should be ok... if he has depression and anxiety he can't be happy because of a chemical imbalance in his brain, he wouldnt think like the "normal" people, there would always be a downside and no where to go. depressed people try to escape what they think is causing their pain so if he thought football was the problem im not suprised he left. and youre right life is hard on everyone, but you cant just "man up and face life head on" when an illness you have wont let you. i know depression isnt necessarily as serious but its like telling someone whos paralyzed to "man up" and walk.

now im not excusing his actions, and i agree he shouldnt be smoking his problems away, especially since marijuana use is linked to depression, and should be taking real medicine, but people are being awfully hard on him. give the guy a freaking break. he did what he thought was best for him and thats what matters, if he was gonna be unhappy being in the spotlight and playing football then he should have quit, simple as that. he doesnt need people second guessing every move he makes.

on another note, i thought if he came back after being retired for one year then the year long suspension would only be 4 games or something, that why he wasnt going to announce he was coming back until the end of july...
myintrotoletyouknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:08 pm

myintrotoletyouknow wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I'm probably alone in this, but I actually feel for Ricky. His history of depression and anxiety probably makes his life a living hell. It's probably why he uses marijuana. It's a shame the media can't leave him alone.

I don't feel sorry for him. Life is tough on everybody, and I think my life would be alot less tough if I was a millionaire. But you don't see me running from my problems and trying to smoke my problems away.

just because hes a millionaire doesnt mean hes should be ok... if he has depression and anxiety he can't be happy because of a chemical imbalance in his brain, he wouldnt think like the "normal" people, there would always be a downside and no where to go. depressed people try to escape what they think is causing their pain so if he thought football was the problem im not suprised he left. and youre right life is hard on everyone, but you cant just "man up and face life head on" when an illness you have wont let you. i know depression isnt necessarily as serious but its like telling someone whos paralyzed to "man up" and walk.

now im not excusing his actions, and i agree he shouldnt be smoking his problems away, especially since marijuana use is linked to depression, and should be taking real medicine, but people are being awfully hard on him. give the guy a freaking break. he did what he thought was best for him and thats what matters, if he was gonna be unhappy being in the spotlight and playing football then he should have quit, simple as that. he doesnt need people second guessing every move he makes.

on another note, i thought if he came back after being retired for one year then the year long suspension would only be 4 games or something, that why he wasnt going to announce he was coming back until the end of july...

Man up and walk, cripple! Seriously though you can't compare a guy with depression to a guy with a damaged spinal cord. That's injustice to the person with a REAL disability. Everybody in life goes through depression, it's all in how you cope with it...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby myintrotoletyouknow » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:46 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

Man up and walk, cripple! Seriously though you can't compare a guy with depression to a guy with a damaged spinal cord. That's injustice to the person with a REAL disability. Everybody in life goes through depression, it's all in how you cope with it...

i didnt mean to say that depression is just as bad as being paralyzed, what i meant was that telling someone with depression to "man up" and stop being depressed is like telling someone whos paralyzed to man up and start walking, it just wont happen. im assuming you dont know anyone who had a serious case of depression because you would know this.

oh and by the way theres a big difference in being depressed and having clinical depression. clinical depression can be a dehabilitating illness, it runs in my family and ive experienced its effects first hand. feeling like youre worthless and that theres no reason you should go on living is quite the disability. 15% of people with depression go on to commit suicide and i would consider not being alive a bit more disabling than not being able to walk.

depression is a REAL disability and saying otherwise is an injustice to all that have it.
myintrotoletyouknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:41 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

i didnt mean to say that depression is just as bad as being paralyzed, what i meant was that telling someone with depression to "man up" and stop being depressed is like telling someone whos paralyzed to man up and start walking, it just wont happen. im assuming you dont know anyone who had a serious case of depression because you would know this.

oh and by the way theres a big difference in being depressed and having clinical depression. clinical depression can be a dehabilitating illness, it runs in my family and ive experienced its effects first hand. feeling like youre worthless and that theres no reason you should go on living is quite the disability. 15% of people with depression go on to commit suicide and i would consider not being alive a bit more disabling than not being able to walk.

depression is a REAL disability and saying otherwise is an injustice to all that have it.

I'm not blaming Ricky for quitting football. If football's making him unhappy, by all means quit. What I'm saying is, there is no reason this guy is any different than the rest of us that face the every day pains that is life. Why feel sorry for him like he's a special case? Millions of people everywhere feel as bad or even worse than he does, only they have financial worries to go along with it. There is no excuse for smoking weed, I don't care what the circumstances. My life in the last few months, without going into details, has been about as hard as it can get, and I'm not going to sit here and turn to drugs or alcohol and start whining about how I'm so mistreated. You get back on the horse and you carry on. Life goes on, suck it up and deal with it.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:51 pm

I wonder what King Titan is doing these days. :-b
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:45 am

Do you guys think Ricky wore his helmet while taking those classes on hollistic healing? You know, like when he used to interview that way. :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk