ANyone ever quit because your trade was veto'd? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

ANyone ever quit because your trade was veto'd?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mrtexansfan » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:44 pm

we have all had a problem at some point with trades being vetoed. vetoing a trade that is somewhat close is the third worse thing in fantasy football in my opinion right behind not caring cause your team is out of the playoff race and quiting. i hate people that give up and post a roster that was their opening day roster that has 3 people injured or what have you as people playing them get an almost guarinteed victory while others are slugging it out to win and make the playoffs. by quiting you are sinking to their level. i have MADE trade offers that was a better deal for the other guy but in the big picture due to depth at a certain position, it still improves my team and it gets vetoed.MESSAGE TO ALL UNLESS IT IS A TRADE LIKE LETS SAY HOLMES FOR BILLY MILLER DONT BE A JERK AND VETO IT!!! in the league that i am a commish in i set it up for commish veto. when a trade is proposed others have time to state the case on wether or not it should be vetoed or passed. if i get a large % of teams with ligit reasons the trade will be vetoed, but if only only a couple say no then its going through.
mrtexansfan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby King Colt » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:58 pm

I don't see anything wrong with that trade. Sucks you have some sour grapes over there.
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:35 pm

I hate vetoes. If the player makes a stupid trade that ends up hurting him, he'll learn from his mistakes. He won't learn if the other members are there to babysit him constantly.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:39 pm

The Sneaky Creep wrote:the other guy is worried it'll get veto'd more than me....2 adults make a trade and it may get shot down.

so it's a bad idea to start dropping my players if/when it gets veto'd?

This is called being a baby. If you are in a league that has the ability to veto trades you have to accept it as part of the league. Quiting is never a solution.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby indecisiv » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:51 pm

quitting is not the solution. it might make you feel good because you will think they are in a bind and need an owner, but more than likely they could pick up anyone and be alright which makes it pointless. Besides, just imagine ANY other circumstance where some other owner did agree with you and then walked out. What would you think then? I would state your case rather extensively, and let everyone know what your thinking (besides quitting). You did, or should have, known the rules before joining. However, you can have a stiff hand on any other trades going around too. Obviously that is how your league plays it. Perhaps don't join that league next year or create the league yourself and call your own shots.
indecisiv
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: ANyone ever quit because your trade was veto'd?

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:55 pm

The Sneaky Creep wrote:I'm in an office pool w/ 12 teams and recently proposed a trade:

I get:
-T Owens
-K JOnes

I give: (He has C martin as his best RB)
-T Henry
-m Booker

It takes 1/3 votes to veto this tradea and 2 people already told me they will veto this because it makes my team better--while still agreeing it improves the other team.

If it gets veto'd I may try Owens for henry straight up...

what do u think?

Veto should only be there for collusion, there's no way this trade constitutes a veto. It is tilted in your favor, but when someone has great need at a position, especially the single most important position in FF, you should expect that.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mad benjamin » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:57 pm

Vetoes should only be used when there is an obvious attempt to rip another team off, which I don't see here. I don't think vetoes should be used to hamstring transactions. Yeah, Henry may have his question marks, but what do we know about KJ? Henry for TO straight up would be fine, but I'd only do it if I had no WR depth and plenty RB depth.

Sounds as though you may have some guys in your league who are a bit jealous the trade isn't falling their way. I faced a bit of the same problems last year, but then our commish would turn around and offer me junk trades like Tiki Barber, Darrell Jackson, Lamar Gordon and Drew Bledsoe for Jamal Lewis, TO and Steve McNair. I can handle vetoes better when I don't get slapped in the face by junk by the commissioner.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby madmike » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:58 pm

I don't like leagues that vote on trades...should be commish who referees trades and only looks for collusion. In voting system everyone will see something they don't like and kill every trade out of fear. Trades make a league fun and they should be allowed to happen as long as they are "reasonably" balanced. Your trade would be reasonable if both parties benefit.
-Mad Mike
madmike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby xbird » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:09 pm

I'm glad I don't work in your office. Looks to me like there is more than FFB involved here.
xbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby East Bay Ray » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:14 pm

I need to see both rosters. If C Martin is his best RB, how is giving up T Jones and T Owens and getting M Booker and T Henry going to make his team better?
East Bay Ray
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk