Washington Def... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Washington Def...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Washington Def...

Postby stomperrob » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:26 pm

...how bad can they be??? I've seen them ranked 22nd and 26th. I can't believe a Joe Gibbs coached team will be that bad. They did sign 7 FA's on defence in the off-season; sure they lost Champ Bailey but that Sean Taylor kid sure looks like he can play. And with assistant coaches Gregg Williams and Greg Blache there's gotta be some improvement. And the first teamers haven't been performing too badly in pre-season. Sure, I don't expect miracles or even expect them to gel in time for the season opener, but I gotta think that in pretty short order there's gonna be some pretty significant improvement.
Now I'm not gonna do anything rash and draft them, but I will be keeping an eye on them that first month. Are my expectations outta line here????
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:32 pm

I don't you're expectations are out of line, but I'm a Redskins fan. :-)

The thing about Gregg Williams defensive style is that he's very agressive. He'll blitz alot which should create sacks (even if they Dline isnt very good) and turnovers. They will probably give up soem yards but most leagues don't penalize you for that. The DBs have some good ballhawking skills (one thing about Bailey is he wasnt a INT machine) and Sean Taylor is going to be a monster. Defenses like Kansas City and Minnesota have been decent fantasy defenses in recent years even if they arent great NFL defenses because of turnovers. If you take two defenses I think the Skins would make a good backup with potential and are at least a team to watch.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby treadstone » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:35 pm

First things first...Greg Blache sucks. He is a defensive coordinator who doesnt think sacks and turnovers are important...thats not a knock on Was. D at all in my mind, but I personally cant stand Blache.
treadstone
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby terpfan » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:36 pm

treadstone wrote:First things first...Greg Blache sucks. He is a defensive coordinator who doesnt think sacks and turnovers are important...thats not a knock on Was. D at all in my mind, but I personally cant stand Blache.

I've heard this too... but all he coaches is the Dline. Williams calls the plays.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby sleeper » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:03 am

Also keep in mind that Washington D has the easiest schedule (based on offensive rankings from last year) among all Ds.
sleeper
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:00 am

sleeper wrote:Also keep in mind that Washington D has the easiest schedule (based on offensive rankings from last year) among all Ds.

Yep. Washington will be a better fantasy D than they are getting credit for. ;-D
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FeArMeNtL » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:03 pm

Their defense isnt worth being talked about man and they shouldn't even be called a defense so noone should draft them at all this year.

Cmon guys this is my sleeper defense quiet >.<
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Favre.com » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:09 pm

This may be biased because I am a Redskins fan but: I believe they are much improved, just watching preseason games they have moved up about 4-5 spots on my sheet. Sean Taylor is an amazing shut down safety and my bold prediction is he wins rookie of the year. Springs also provides support for the loss of Bailey. They're no Baltimore, but I have high expectations this season.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby stomperrob » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:40 pm

FeArMeNtL wrote:Their defense isnt worth being talked about man and they shouldn't even be called a defense so noone should draft them at all this year.

Cmon guys this is my sleeper defense quiet >.<

Lol, I missed the fine print the first time I read this! :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Return to Football Talk