Chester Taylor/Musa Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chester Taylor/Musa Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chester Taylor/Musa Smith

Postby Shockers » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:53 am

does anyone know who the 2nd string rb is for baltimore this season? smith was the front runner at the beginning of preseason, but i have heard that taylor is the guy now. both had impressive numbers tonight.

taylor - 10 carries for 117 yards 2 tds, 1 rec for 7 yards

smith - 10 carries for 19 yards, 4 rec for 77 yards

who is running with the first team so far in the preseason (besides jamal's 4 carries)?
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aussieboy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:49 am

Im pretty sure Musa would get the job if Lewis were to miss time.

Taylor's numbers are kinda skewed by some 80yarder he did.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby T-DIDDY » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:40 am

Everyone says to handcuff Musa, but it seems Chester has been doing pretty good as the 2nd stringer. I've only got to see one Ravens game on TV and Taylor looked like the man. I might be drafting Lewis tomorrow, and I'm probably going to handcuff Taylor, not Smith. Hopefully I won't need either of them. It is also a possibility that they are both used in relief of Lewis. Dam RBBC's.
T-DIDDY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Guinness13 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:42 am

My vote would be for Musa ;-D
10 to 1 it is Guinness Time!!
Guinness13
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby T-DIDDY » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:49 am

I remember last year when everyone said to take Larry Johnson as Holmes' handcuff, but when it came down to it, it was Blaylock. LJ was never the #2 on the depth charts, but people in my league drafted him way too early and wasted a bench spot most of the year. I don't think Smith has every made it to #2 on the charts. I'm going to let someone draft Smith, and then pick up Chester in the last round.
T-DIDDY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby gladee88er » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:05 am

It seems like a crapshoot until you look at it. Whoever they throw to more right now would get the nod if Lewis went down. My feeling is with M. Smith at the moment. That 80 yd.run padded the pre-season stats, thats all-Musa is the man!
gladee88er
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:12 am

I think people are leaning towards Musa Smith because he has power like Lewis does. But I would guess they'd use Taylor and Smith, keeping both fresh and giving defenses different looks.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:27 pm

Is it just me or has Musa Smith looked extraordinarily AVERAGE this preseason. The guy is a power running back in the style of a Jamal Lewis, but he is much more slow and plodding type. He just doesn't have the same explosion to the hole that Lewis brings.

Chester Taylor has looked much more impressive than Musa in both the quickness aspect and the ability to break through tackles. Couple that with Chester's NFL experience and I don't think Musa has any chance at all of becoming a featured back in Jamal's absence. If anyone is the handcuff here it is Chester Taylor IMO. Most likely a RBBC between the two though.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:21 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Is it just me or has Musa Smith looked extraordinarily AVERAGE this preseason. The guy is a power running back in the style of a Jamal Lewis, but he is much more slow and plodding type. He just doesn't have the same explosion to the hole that Lewis brings.

Chester Taylor has looked much more impressive than Musa in both the quickness aspect and the ability to break through tackles. Couple that with Chester's NFL experience and I don't think Musa has any chance at all of becoming a featured back in Jamal's absence. If anyone is the handcuff here it is Chester Taylor IMO. Most likely a RBBC between the two though.

Despite Musa's ploddingly average running skills, I think that if either one of them was the clearcut starter it would be him. He fits the mold of a back like J Lew, which leads me to believe they will put him in to fit the offense and serve as a poor man's Lewis.

With that said however I think it is closer to a RBBC than anything else right now.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk