What do you actually use during the draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What do you actually use during the draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What do you actually use during the draft?

Postby fiz » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:07 pm

I have a draft tomorrow and we get 90 seconds per pick - obviously there's not a lot of time to look up each pick - how do you all go about the actual draft as far as sheets, etc. i was planning on printing out my cheat sheets by position and just figuring the overall from that? im just curious what others do since time is short in a live draft?
fiz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: chillin' out maxin' and relaxin' all cool and all shooting some bball outside of the school

Postby Payne Dailey » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:10 pm

pre-rank, then go with the flow of the draft.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby donut » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:11 pm

i do exactly what you're doing except i make sure i have a cheat sheet of the top 200 players with a cheat sheet of top players in each position.
donut Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby BGbootha » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:13 pm

personally in all my years of school and all, it took me fantasy baseball to figure out how to use Excel with the best of them. For my draft tonight i have a spreadsheet on excel thats lists my position by position rankings with bye weeks, my overall rankings, as well as the full NFL scedule (which you can actually download from NFL.com in Excel form already)

With this all the info i need is a few clicks away. YOu can also use the highlight tool to highlight the players already picked. (I prefer Yellow) ANd then highlight the players you pick in a different color.

but thats just me.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Vanter » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:18 pm

Make sure you keep a good account of who has already been taken. Nothing is worse than using choosing a guy that has already been picked and then scrambling to find someone else. I also like to keep track of what positions that other teams have selected so I have slight idea of who to expect in the next round. The last thing that I think helps the most to to teir players in each position.
Vanter
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BeefSandwiches » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:33 pm

Can someone post a link to the NFL schedule in Excel format?
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby json929 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:36 pm

footballguys.com draft dominator is amazing.

just make sure to put your league scoring in.
json929
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:39 pm

BeefSandwiches wrote:Can someone post a link to the NFL schedule in Excel format?

I second that request, it would really help me out since I already have all my rankings in Excel.
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:18 pm

I draft in Yahoo, which is a pretty user-friendly draft room. I also lay out a copy of some fantasy guide magazine or newspaper or something, just to have another list of all the players (it's the list more than their cheat sheets that help, though the rankings can hlp too).

But the most important thing is to absorb as much info as possible in the month before the draft. I really ignore the NFL from the months of February through July. In August, I read everything about it and do some practice drafts, like in leagues I join but in which I don't really care about doing well.

Then for the leagues I care about, I'm ready to go and then I wing it pretty much.

My question to everyone is: Do you guys keep bye weeks in mind while drafting, or do you just juggle around the bye weeks as they come?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby tman570 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:24 pm

I use a top 200 list and cross off guys from there. If theres a bargain (say a guy who should go in round 4 and hes there in round 9) I can spot em easy and grab em.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk