Homeless guy brings you the dirt on our politicians again... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Homeless guy brings you the dirt on our politicians again...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Homeless guy brings you the dirt on our politicians again...

Postby Homeless » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:26 am

WASHINGTON - Rep. Jim Moran, D-Va., was forced out of his party leadership post Friday after a furor over his remarks about the role of American Jews in a possible war with Iraq (news - web sites).

AP Photo

Moran stepped down from his position as regional whip at the insistence of Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California. In a statement, Pelosi said she spoke to Moran and he agreed to give up his post. Moran's office said the decision was mutual.

"I have taken this action because Congressman Moran's irresponsible remarks were a serious mistake," Pelosi said. "As I said earlier this week, his comments were not only inappropriate, they were offensive and have no place in the Democratic Party."

Speaking at a northern Virginia forum a week ago, Moran said that "if it were not for the strong support of the Jewish community for this war with Iraq we would not be doing this. ... The leaders of the Jewish community are influential enough that they could change the direction of where this is going and I think they should."

Moran apologized for his comments on Tuesday. The seven-term lawmaker said he framed his comments as he did because he was responding to a questioner who said she was Jewish. "I regret doing that," he said.

Moran on Friday issued a statement saying he was stepping down from his leadership position "as a way to demonstrate acceptance of my responsibility for insensitive remarks I recently made."

"I will continue to reach out to the Jewish community and others who were offended by my remarks," he said. "Most importantly, I will strive to learn from my mistakes and listen to the concerns of my constituents."

Moran's controversial remarks drew sharp criticism from the White House and calls from some Jewish leaders for his resignation. Six House Democrats, all Jewish, have said Moran should not seek re-election in 2004 because of his comments.

Political correctness gone crazy again. This is America, the guy should be able to voice an opinion without losing his job. Now fine, if he then doesnt get voted back in next term, but he didnt exactly deny the holocaust here.
Last edited by Homeless on Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby fntsyrookie » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:10 pm

I agree Homeless.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:22 pm

Hey this is America, land of the free and home of the ruling minority.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Roseman » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:14 am

Hey we just had a a member of our House of Commons get kick out and forced to resign because she made a rasist comment too I guess it happens on both sides of the border.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby kashikis » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:27 am

glad to see canada has rascist congress people too. this guy worded this all wrong i think he was just tryin to say that jewish community leaders should take a stand to help stifle the war talks but hey he shoulda known better than to say that now. there is too much PC going around in the Conress to let yourself slip and say that.

it wasnt wrong to say what he did but it sure was stupid
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dazedncnfz » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:38 am

kashikis wrote:glad to see canada has rascist congress people too. this guy worded this all wrong i think he was just tryin to say that jewish community leaders should take a stand to help stifle the war talks but hey he shoulda known better than to say that now. there is too much PC going around in the Conress to let yourself slip and say that.

it wasnt wrong to say what he did but it sure was stupid

Since when is a politician considered smart???.....they are mostly considered to be kiss asses....and his next excuse for the wording of this will be " I didn't write this!...I was just reading what I was told"...." heres my retraction...blah blah blah"

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk