Chiefs-Steelers Talks Finally Coming to Fruition - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chiefs-Steelers Talks Finally Coming to Fruition

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chiefs-Steelers Talks Finally Coming to Fruition

Postby CC » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:08 am

Everyone knows about the Burress to KC talks from before the draft, but it seems the Chiefs might be interested in dealing for Burress now.

Profootballtalk.com wrote:CHIEFS FINALLY MAKING A RUN AT PLEX?

With their receiving corps decimated by injury and coach Dick Vermeil looking for one more shot at the Super Bowl before he rides off into the sunset again, there is renewed talk around the league that the Chiefs might try to swing a trade for Steelers receiver Plexico Burress.

Rumors of a possible trade circulated before the draft. But no talks ever materialized.

Burress's potential trade value plummeted in May and June after he boycotted two mandatory minicamps and stayed away from voluntary workouts. But after he reported for training camp in excellent shape and showed an appropriate degree of contrition for his actions, the Steelers welcomed the prodigal son back home.

And with the prospects of Burress bolting via free agency after the 2004 season, the Steelers now have to revisit the question of whether they should grab maximum value for the former first-rounder now.

One NFL insider believes that the Steelers won't be willing to give up Burress even though he'll be jockeying for salary cap dollars at the same time the team is trying to re-sign receiver Hines Ward and linebacker Kendrell Bell. Still, the source tells us that the Steelers probably would not turn up their noses at an offer of a first-round and second-round draft choice for Burress.

The real question is whether Vermeil (who might not be around in 2005) will be able to convince G.M. Carl Peterson to mortgage the future by dropping two high picks on a guy who's under contract for only one more season. From Vermeil's perspective, pilfering Plex from Pittsburgh should be a no-brainer.

Whether he's in Pennsylvania or Missouri, the thinking is that Burress will have a big year, thanks to the renewed focus on enforcing the illegal contact rule. With his size, speed, and strength, Burress can wreak havoc on an opposing defense if he has the ability to run free.

Profootballtalk.com prints a lot of speculation and rumor so take this with a grain of salt, but its interesting nonetheless.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby citti34 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:26 am

WOW
citti34
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby goleafsgo96 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:28 am

This would be good for Plax, Randle El, and Green for sure.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:32 am

1st and 2nd round picks?

That's insane.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:37 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:1st and 2nd round picks?

That's insane.

Yea thats what I was thinking, especially for a 1 year rental with no guarantee he will resign.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:47 am

Two things here:

1) Would Ward's value increase any with Plax gone? Or is he already as high as he'll probably get?

2) Wouldn't Plax have a pretty decent shot at re-upping in KC? He'd be the main WR threat in one of the best offenses in the league.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jmo » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:49 am

I would love to see this. Finally a good receiver in KC. Just think what KC would be with I bruce and Holt. 1 or 2 superbowls and Vermiel would be off in the sunset. I would think this would be bad news for Gonzo owners, sure, he will always be a major target but Plex would steal some opps.
Roster: 12 Team League
QB: Palmer, Plummer
RB: S. Alexander, J. Lewis, J Jones, S Jackson, Gado
WR: Mason, R Williams, Engram, Chatman, Ferguson
TE: Witten
DEF: Jax
K: Stover
jmo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flux » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:51 am

Im sure that KC would require Burress to sign an extended contract for this to happen
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:53 am

Yea, thats what I was thinking, an Ogunleye style deal. However I don't know if Plaxico would want to give up his UFA, I don't think I would want to, especially if I was confident I could have a big season.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby goleafsgo96 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:43 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Yea, thats what I was thinking, an Ogunleye style deal. However I don't know if Plaxico would want to give up his UFA, I don't think I would want to, especially if I was confident I could have a big season.

i agree, that could be the sticky part. KC would want Burress to give up his UFA, and Buress may very well want to keep it.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk