Chiefs-Steelers Talks Finally Coming to Fruition - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chiefs-Steelers Talks Finally Coming to Fruition

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:44 pm

He's got amazing athletic and leaping ability, and being 6 foot 6 doesn't hurt, but I'd like to see his hands become a little bit more reliable.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ek » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:59 pm

I can't see giving up a 1st and 2nd for a player who was arguably one of the worst starting WRs in the NFL last season, no matter how much "upside" he has. How about adding a defensive player or eleven? Also, if there really was a pro-Eagles conspiracy, wouldn't they have at least been able to get them to the Super Bowl one of these years? I mean, the NBA pretty much handpicks the teams for the Finals and gets 'em almost every year.

Edit: I'd like to comment that I'm pleased that my 150th post bashes Plax, who was an utter waste of my fourth-round pick last year.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:58 pm

Ek wrote:I can't see giving up a 1st and 2nd for a player who was arguably one of the worst starting WRs in the NFL last season, no matter how much "upside" he has. How about adding a defensive player or eleven? Also, if there really was a pro-Eagles conspiracy, wouldn't they have at least been able to get them to the Super Bowl one of these years? I mean, the NBA pretty much handpicks the teams for the Finals and gets 'em almost every year.

Edit: I'd like to comment that I'm pleased that my 150th post bashes Plax, who was an utter waste of my fourth-round pick last year.

See, the game at least has to be close in order for the refs to push them over the top. If the refs make it too obvious as to what they're doing, they could lose their job. Like in the Green Bay game. A questionable spot or two, and voila, the Eagles win the game. But look at Philly vs. Carolina. Philly didn't stand a chance in that game even before McNabb got hurt. The refs would have made even more absurd calls than they did in Green Bay to push the Eagles over the top in that one.

Philly's offense finished 18th in the league. Their defense finished 20th. So how in the hell did they win 12 games? I mean, Dallas' offense finished 16th in the league, and their defense finished 1st, yet they only win 10?

I'm too lazy right now to do the research, but something tells me not too many teams that finish 18th on offense and 20th on defense win 12 games and advance to the NFC Championship Game. Something else is going on here.

Now obviously these stats do not PROVE that there is a conspiracy, and although I truly believe there is one, I don't think it's out of the question to at least consider it to be a possibility.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:23 am

haha conspiracy theories are so stupid. the refs are pro eagles eh? because the eagles pay them im assuming. where is the real proof or this? a couple of bad spots? wow, refs are human, they make mistakes. ya I bet there was no bribes or anything when the eagles had that terrible start, and they realized that they needed the refs to win. so the refs single handedly carried them to the NFC championship game. please.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby a1doug182 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:04 am

Impressionable wrote:
a1doug182 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:
IRON CHEF wrote:Not sure how this would effect Plex. I know Wards value would go up, and the KC receivers (including Priest, and Gonzo) would take a hit in value.

But what happens to Plax? Now he is the main WR with a great QB to get him the ball but he in an offense that spreads it around a lot and it is Priest team of course. I don't know what to make of it, anybody have an opinion?

you answered your own question. if priest and gonzo will yake a hit in your opinion, doesnt that mean burress' value will go up?

Not really. If he was a 1,000yd WR and is replacing a 500yd WR a 750yd season would be an improvement for the team but not for the WR.

Even if Plexiglass goes to the Chiefs, the primary targets are STILL: Priest Holmes and Tony Gonzalez. If Gonzo is able to get open, he'll still get the ball, Plex's impact would be more on the fringe receivers. Morton would take a hit, Kennison a hit, Marc Boerigter would take a hit. You'd have to kid yourself to think that Plex would supersede either Holmes or Gonzo. If they take a hit in performance, it's their own doing.

Good argument. But it isn't a huge stretch for Burress to help the fringe recievers. Now you have a #1 WR that will draw more attention and the rest of the rec.'s have less pressure. That said, I still believe your's is a more likely scenerio. But it isn't out of the question that he could cut into Holmes & Gonzo's numbers.
a1doug182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:27 am

Most of the talk I have been hearing locally is that the Chiefs my have their eye on McCardell. They appear to be trying to mix Holliday into packages.
Tavish
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:09 am

Holliday is the man, I wish he would come back to GB.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:22 am

bagobonez wrote:
Ek wrote:I can't see giving up a 1st and 2nd for a player who was arguably one of the worst starting WRs in the NFL last season, no matter how much "upside" he has. How about adding a defensive player or eleven? Also, if there really was a pro-Eagles conspiracy, wouldn't they have at least been able to get them to the Super Bowl one of these years? I mean, the NBA pretty much handpicks the teams for the Finals and gets 'em almost every year.

See, the game at least has to be close in order for the refs to push them over the top. If the refs make it too obvious as to what they're doing, they could lose their job. Like in the Green Bay game. A questionable spot or two, and voila, the Eagles win the game. But look at Philly vs. Carolina. Philly didn't stand a chance in that game even before McNabb got hurt. The refs would have made even more absurd calls than they did in Green Bay to push the Eagles over the top in that one.

Philly's offense finished 18th in the league. Their defense finished 20th. So how in the hell did they win 12 games? I mean, Dallas' offense finished 16th in the league, and their defense finished 1st, yet they only win 10?

I'm too lazy right now to do the research, but something tells me not too many teams that finish 18th on offense and 20th on defense win 12 games and advance to the NFC Championship Game. Something else is going on here.

Now obviously these stats do not PROVE that there is a conspiracy, and although I truly believe there is one, I don't think it's out of the question to at least consider it to be a possibility.
Let me guess, we didn't really land on the moon either.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:35 am

Hey, if you choose to believe there is no dirty money going on in the NFL, that's your business. But I can almost guarantee you there is.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:45 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Holliday is the man, I wish he would come back to GB.

After the season he had last year, the Chiefs are probably wishing he would go back to GB as well. ;-)
Tavish
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk