WINNERS, For those who won their fantasy football leagues - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WINNERS, For those who won their fantasy football leagues

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bibsybob » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:02 am

last year, it was my wrs that won the league for me surprisingly, as well as my savvy waiver wire pickups. THis was my team

QB: Matt Hasslebeck
WR: Joe Horn, Chad Johnson, Santana Moss, Steve Smith
RB: Deuce Mcalllister, Fred Taylor
TE: Tony Gonzalez

I got Deuce in a trade for the last 2 weeks of the season so he didnt help me there since he sucked at the end of last year. Fred taylor was my workhorse back and cj/horn/santana/smith kept me going. I actually had djax earlier and domanick but traded both along with tiki for deuce... Imagine my wr corps at one point: Joe Horn, Chad Johnson, Santana moss, Steve smith, Darrell Jackson. Domanick was never in my lineup lol so he didnt help me much but was great trade bait.
bibsybob
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aussieboy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:06 am

I came second in my league last yr.

My team was something like the following:

Hasselbeck
Priest
Portis
Ward
S.Moss
S.Smith
Krob
Sharpe

I cant remember who was on my bench.

I traded like crazy last yr. I picked up quite a few of the breakout WR, S.Moss and Smith were two that I remember I had. The guy that won the league had:

Culpepper
Duece
Ahman
Moss

SOme tips would be to keep a keen eye on the WW. One or two solid pickups can really make your season.
Dont wait too long to or be too afraid to make changes. There was a guy in my league last yr that was like 1-5, but he kept on believing his team would improve. He had the potential to be an excellent team if he traded the right way and the right time. He did neither, and his team never got better. His team was near the bottom. On the flipside, dont be too hasty in changing ur team, patience is also a key. So there is a fine line.
Play you studs no matter who they are playing. You drafted your studs high, dont sit them! It only takes one play to put up big points for your team. Also on the flip side, I think its important to play the matchups with ur 2nd tier guys. I did this last yr a lot with my number 2 WR (we only started two).

Thats all I can think of for now.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby crimsonrebel » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:47 am

It is possible to win without multiple good backs, but it is the exception to the rule. RB's are more consistent in their numbers and there is the most variation in points scored between great RBs and mediocre RBs than there is at any other position. Thats why RB's tend to win you championships.
crimsonrebel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

I Won with WR

Postby mtlenway » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:43 am

here is winning my line-up

QB Manning
RB A Green
RB D Foster
WR Harrison
WR Holt
WR S Moss
TE McMichael
K Carney
D/ST Baltimore

My reserves were

QB Collins
RB Dillon
RB M Anderson
WR Toomer
WR Traylor
TE Franks
K M Anderson
D/ST Miami

I am in a keeper league and have kept most of my winning line up with exception I kept Dillon and dropped Foster. We can only keep a starting line-up and redraft our reserves.

My team strength was definitely at WR with Harrison, Holt and Moss although having Ahman at RB sure didnt hurt. This year I am hoping to pick-up a strong starting RB to surplant Dillon as I dont have a lot of faith in him.

Incidentally, I picked up Mike Anderson when Portis went down as well as Deshon Foster. It proved out to be the transaction of the years as the team I play for the Championship had Portis as his key RB. Other than Green my RB's sucked until making the move which gave me all of the marbles.
mtlenway
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Bowie » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:57 am

Here was my winning line-up for an 8 team league:

QB - P. Manning (BU: Hasselbeck)
RB - M. Faulk, S. Davis (BU: T. Hambrick)
WR - R. Moss, M. Harrison, D. Jackson (BU: Weekly pick based on match-ups)
TE - Weekly pick based on match-ups
K - Vanderjack
Def - Miami (BU: Weekly pick based on match-ups)

I did not win the most games in our regular season, but I made the playoffs (4th seed), won the title, and absolutely crushed everyone else in total points (not even close). If you notice, that is alot of weeks with Hambrick (I also had Tiki for a week and a couple of desperate waiver fliers) in in place of Faulk. Does this mean RBs don't matter? No, it probably means I just got lucky. My team was up and down all year (high of 150, low of 35 approx.), and this will happen when you depend on WRs and QBs. I just got hot at the right time (and had sporatic massive weeks in between).
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jumpman8828 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:48 am

Winning lineup for my 8-team league:

QB-Culpepper
WR-Owens, S. Smith, CJ
RB-Deuce, Portis
RB/WR-Ricky Williams
TE-Heap
K-Akers
D/ST-Miami

Now that I look at my lineup, I was really super-stacked with studs at every position (hell, Hasslebeck was my backup QB).

I do think that my RB's won for me...I probably could have won just starting those three and no one else.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:59 am

I'm not completely positive on what the lineup was but:

QB: Bulger, traded for Pennington later
RB: Holmes, S. Davis, traded for Henry
WR: J. Smith, S. Smith, S. Moss and traded for Mason
TE: always changed but I had Kleinsasser and Billy Miller
K: always changed
Def: Carolina and Dallas

I had enough of a lead that I was able to look ahead and trade for guys with good matchups in the playoff weeks.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Halcyon » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:17 pm

What I find interesting is that so few of these teams had Anquan Boldin. I had imagined that he won a bunch of leagues for owners that snapped him up off the waiver wire, but he's on almost none of these teams.

I, for the record, picked him up and came in 5th despite his great numbers.

Maybe he's cursed. :-b
Halcyon Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

NIGHTSHADE 2003 Champions

Postby NIGHTSHADE » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:44 pm

I find Running Backs are the main reason for a winning season or playoff push, but not entirely dependant must you be. You definitely need help from other positions and I got it from Defense and TE.

Here was my 12-4 lineup from last year {won my last 8 straight}. It was a 12 man league and pretty fierce.

QB: Anthony Wright, Drew Brees {C-}
RB: Clinton Portis, Ahman Green, Michael Pittman {A}
WR: Keenan mCCardell, Jimmy Smith, Darrell Jackson {B}
TE: Todd Heap, BOO Williams {B+}
PK: Jason Elam, Matt Stover {A-}
OFF: Seattle Seahawks {B-}
DEF: New England Patriots, Saint Louis Rams {A}

Here is a link to my Winning Sunday Conversation Interview. It has more of my philosophy in detail. Tell me what you think!

http://www.geocities.com/alanhffl/Hall/champ6.htm
NIGHTSHADE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Ek » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:12 pm

Here's my normal starting lineup, as of the end of the season, that won a ten-team league last year:
QB: Manning
WR: Anquan, Derrick Mason
RB: Priest Holmes, JaLewis (this is why I won :-) )
Flex: Several crappy RBs based on matchups. Troy Hambrick and TJ Duckett more than anyone else.
TE: Crumpler
D: Tampa Bay
K: Changed several times during the season. I think I had Akers at the end.

I drafted Holmes, Lewis, and Manning with my first 3 picks. The rest of my draft was not that great, but I managed to watch the WW possibilities and get Anquan and Rudi Johnson, who I got a monster week out of and then traded for Mason.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk