Need some affirmation - F. Taylor! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Need some affirmation - F. Taylor!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby PSU All Day » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:23 pm

I have heard that Jones has not impressed in camp this year but can't remember where I saw it.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PSU All Day » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:25 pm

Bagel types too quickly
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Nobodies Business » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:34 pm

Fred Taylor is a great grab this season simply because of this false impression everyone is under.. Fred Taylor is not injury prone... I dont know if some microscopic aliens got into everyone's heads and inflicted some artificial concern about Taylor's health or what, because there is no reason to believe he is injury prone... he got hurt once, he healed, and he's back.. what is the problem here??
Nobodies Business
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby theBigHouse » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:39 pm

I want to know how Edge keeps falling to guys at #10??? I don't think he should be rated a top5 back but he may very well end the season there. Regardless, if I'm picking 7th, 8th, or 9th, there's no way I let Edge fall past me!

as for your question, Taylor at #10 or #11 overall is a fine pick
theBigHouse
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:49 pm

While I do agree that Taylor is not injury prone and this should not be a concern about him, I feel that the people saying Taylor got hurt once, healed, and then was fine are misleading.

Taylor missed 7 games to injury in 1999, 3 in 2000, and 14 in 2001.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:03 pm

People wary of Freddy remember back farther than the last two years. He missed 26 out of 48 starts from 1999-2001 due to injury, most notably the groin injury of 2001. This is significant because he had a huge rookie year in 98, I think he scored around 14 TDs. Thus, people drafted him as a #1 RB for 1999 and got burned when he missed 7 starts. Then he bounces back in 2000 with 12 TDs and 1300+ yards. People then draft him as a #1 RB again in 2001 and he misses 14 games. Burned again. Those of us who have tried to build a team around a guy with undisputable talent, then watch our season crumble when he goes down, are a little wary of relying on him this year.

I know Freddy has played 32 strait games, and probably is at no greater risk than any other back. I guess that makes me something of a Homer for still being wary of him. Still, there is something to be said for not letting the same guy ruin multiple seasons for you. For those of us that Freddy has burned before, it is tough to take him with a first round pick. As a No 2 back? Sure, I'll take him. But my days of relying on him as a number one are long gone.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Nobodies Business » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:12 pm

1999 2000 2001 ------- ------- 2004

thats 2 whole seasons........ he's healed..
Nobodies Business
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:59 pm

bgbootha wrote:
kurtistb wrote:You can never sleep soundly when you have fragile freddy on your team.

Fragile Freddy??????? This is the most confusing reputation i have ever seen. The guy has been hurt once in like 4 years. I don't understand how he is still considered such an injury risk..

can someone plesae explain the logic behind this to me?????

Fred Taylor missed a lot of games early in his career. Just recently he has put together two full 16 games seasons, but every owner that had him on their team in the "dark years" is wary Taylor will return to his fragile label.

'98 15 games/12starts
'99 10 games/9starts
'00 13games/13starts
'01 2games/2starts

.... not exactly a stellar start to his career
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby mad benjamin » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:37 pm

What would you have hoped to get at #10 and 11? Taylor and Edge can both be brittle, but they are tremendously talented and are proven commodities. You could have done a lot worse.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:02 pm

At 10 and 11 I would have taken Edge and a top wideout, maybe Holt since taking Marv would give you 2 guys on the same team, although I'm contemplating taking Moss and Culpepper so what do I know. I think my point is there are so many "feature" backs this year that I still think you could get a guy who could produce on a 2nd tier level with a late 3rd round pick.

My thing with Taylor is that he WILL have goalline carries taken from him by Jones. Although he could very easily rush for 1,500 yards again, I would be surprised if he achieved double digit scores.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk