Brian Westbrook - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brian Westbrook

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brian Westbrook

Postby greg6917 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:19 pm

I wanna know why in the world someone would think Westbrook would be a bust. For one I got him near the end of the 4th round, which makes him a great value at that spot. Also, I get a pt per reception, which in limited playing time he had 37 catches and 4 recieving Tds. He split time all year and averaged 5.2 yards per carry, 613 yards and 7 TDs. Hmmm so he split time on a team with zero wideouts and managed 11 Tds. Now he has Terrell Owens at wideout so they cant just put more guys in the box to stop him and he could do even better. yes you can argue hes small and could get injured, but that is a ridiculous argument because size doesnt make you more or less injury prone. From 1999-2001 Fred Taylor missed 23 games due to injury and he is 6"1 232lbs, and on the other hand Barry Sanders was nowhere near his size and he rarely missed any playing time. So to speculate he could injured or hes an injury risk is stupid, anyone at any given time can get injured.

And my choice my most overrated RB is Chris Brown , who is drafted quite high as even a #2 back on some teams ive noticed.
Yes he could be good, but the man didnt get even 1 TD in the regular season when he played,averaged less than 4 yards a carry, and only caught 8 balls. Why isnt he higher on peoples bust lists?

Well Id just appreciate some intelligent arguments, rather than opinions from casual football fans. I want some facts to support why this guy may or may not be a bust. And unless the guy has missed alot of time in the past, how the heck can he be an injury concern. Im sure half you said the same about Priest Holmes last year and he responded with 27 TDs.

So I want some facts to support why this guy may or may not be a bust. And unless the guy has missed alot of time in the past, how the heck can he be an injury concern. Body mass isnt equililant with the shape the player is in. He is 5"8 205ish. At 5"8 thats alot of damn muscle and how can lack of height make you more or less injury prone???

Here are some more examples:

Charlie Garner is 5"10 190 , and has only missed 2 games in the past 5 years.

Travis Henry is 5"9 215 which is equivalent to 5"8 205 almost, muscle-wise.

Curtis Martin is the most durable back in years and never misses a game and hes 5"'10 205 which is smaller then Westbrook.

I think this is enough to support my opinions, so the next time someone says he is an injury risk due to size or that he cant handle the load or whatver bullcrap they will say, respond with some of the facts I have presented.

Futhermore, the draft is grossly overrated, and anyone thats successfull in fantasy football know this.

Last year, I didnt draft a QB till the 7th round (Brett Favre) and picked up Marc Bulger via waivers and also Anquan Boldin as my 3rd WR via waivers and won my heads up league without much of a contest.
greg6917
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby greg6917 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:54 pm

Well its weird to have some many people read my post, and not to have someone either tell me they agree or disagree and why. But if you wanna stay in the closet go for it :)

Greg
greg6917
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:08 pm

the main problem with lack of response to your thread is that I willing to bet that a vast majority of us agree with you

your points concering Westbrook are quite sound and have great merit....

Westbrook will do well this year
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby greg6917 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:13 pm

Thankyou for the response, Glad to see life.
The reason of my post was because I posted my team to be rated earlier and people downed my running backs. I have Barlow, Rudi Johnson, Brian Westbrook, James Jackson, and Najeh Davenport. I feel my top 3 are very solid. James Jackson was picked in case he goes to Miami, and Davenport is a great back if given the opportunity.
greg6917
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Johnny Ballgame » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:29 pm

I actually worry more about Barlow on your list than Westbrook. I think Barlow is in for a hard season when they stack the world up against him. I think Westbrook will have a really good if not spectacular year and Rudi is going to be GREAT this year so you have 2 solid starters and then if I'm wrong about Barlow you have a nice bonus!
"You using the whole fist there doc?" - Irwin M. Fletcher
Johnny Ballgame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby greg6917 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:40 pm

He is definitly a risk with the lack of talent on the team, but this is first chance to shine and if Rashaun Woods,Lloyd, Conway, and Cedrick Wilson do something, then he may get a little room. Plus I get a pt per catch and Barlow will catch alot of balls in the 49ers system.
greg6917
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Brian Westbrook

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:50 pm

greg6917 wrote:
And my choice my most overrated RB is Chris Brown , who is drafted quite high as even a #2 back on some teams ive noticed.
Yes he could be good, but the man didnt get even 1 TD in the regular season when he played,averaged less than 4 yards a carry, and only caught 8 balls. Why isnt he higher on peoples bust lists?

It's pretty tough to produce when you're the #2 RB behind a guy who carried the ball for 300+ times in 9 straight seasons.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:07 am

I for one agree with you on Westbrook. With a proper draft, being able to get him in the 4th round could be enough of a swing to win your league, as he could easily produce like a 2nd round RB.

There are those who disagree, but Westbrook's one true knock against him is inexperience. He's never carried the ball even 200 times in a season, so we'll have to see how he holds up. Get him while you can though, because my money is on him being a high 2nd round pick in next year's draft.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Crafty » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:33 am

They'll both be solid. Draft either one.
Fortune favours the bold.
Crafty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby DarkManX » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:50 am

Buckhalter going down was a blessing in disguise. I now really like Westbrooks chances of excelling and the threat oif Owens should make it easier to complete passes to him under and across. As long as he can withstand the punishment of a whole season.

Don't like Barlow 1 bit this yr, whether he can withstand a whole yr and whether or not they ca pass the rock is another query.
See to live is to suffer, to survive, well, that's to find meaning in the suffering.
DarkManX
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk