What's the best spot to draft at 10 team league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's the best spot to draft at 10 team league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:00 pm

Assuming this is a redraft league, I'd vote for Holmes with the #1 pick. Holmes by himself scored more TDs over the past two seasons than any other likely #1/#2 RB combination combined.

Let's say for instance you get Edge and Barlow (or fill in your favorite Barlow-ish RB). If all goes according to plan, you will probably score 20ish TDs. Holmes scored 27 last year and 24 the year before. End of story (unless you posess special powers and can see the future).
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:44 pm

9er Fan wrote:Assuming this is a redraft league, I'd vote for Holmes with the #1 pick. Holmes by himself scored more TDs over the past two seasons than any other likely #1/#2 RB combination combined.

Let's say for instance you get Edge and Barlow (or fill in your favorite Barlow-ish RB). If all goes according to plan, you will probably score 20ish TDs. Holmes scored 27 last year and 24 the year before. End of story (unless you posess special powers and can see the future).

Your logic is somewhat flawed. For instance, lets compare a #1/#20 combo to a #10/#11 combo.
Last year Priest Holmes(#1) and Anthony Thomas(#20) combined for 484 fantasy points. Travis Henry(#10) and Fred Taylor(#11) combined for 452 fantasy points. Granted, I would take Holmes too if I had the chance, but it's very possible that the #10 and #11 pick (regardless of position) could end up being more productive that the #1 and #20 pick. If this wasn't true, the team that picked first would win all the time. I had Priest Holmes last year and finished 7th. The year before, I had Priest Holmes and finished 2nd (lost the championship game by 2 points :~( ) Neither time did I pick Holmes in the first round.

As much as some of the people here don't like to admit it, luck plays a HUGE role in winning a fantasy football league. Especially, if all the people in the league are of the same caliber. Lets face it, Fantasy Football isn't Chess.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:05 pm

josebach wrote:Your logic is somewhat flawed.

Your example supports my point... Look, all I'm saying is that if you base your draft lists off of projections on how players should perform this year (if not, what else are you basing your draft list on?), it is tough to justify not taking Holmes with the #1 pick given a choice of any draft position. If everyone remains healthy, Holmes + RB drafted at #20, will likely outproduce two RBs drafted with any other combination of picks in the first two rounds (not to mention you will get the first 3rd round pick).
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby muzz » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:28 pm

Personally 4-6 would be where I would like to be drafting..
Obviously 5 is my favorite(10 team), as ya never have to wait longer on either end.
Don't blame us if your players stink the place up....You got our OPINION, your not paying any money for advice!!
If your new guy gets injured.. it happens, and not part of the equation beforehand.
Good Luck, and Thanks for being reasonable.
m
muzz
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby xbird » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:44 pm

I prefer a 5th, er, pick that is.
xbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Football » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:09 pm

I like #3. The top 3 are all comperable and after that it drops off a bit. In a 10 team league I don't mind 9-10 either actaully as you get 2 solid guys and are still in the hunt for 3rd tier players.
Football
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Previous

Return to Football Talk