Who will be better this year Q.Griffin or C.Brown? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Who will be better this year Q.Griffin or C.Brown?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:51 am

drsteuss wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
drsteuss wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
drsteuss wrote:Brown. No Alex Gibbs in Denver means tougher work for RB's.


Have you seen any Denver games this preseason? There has been NO dropoff...


That's because it's the preseason.

It. Means. Nothing.


I. Disagree.


Me. Too.


Then I assume all three of you will be starting Vinny Testaverde and Ron Dayne in Week 1. Let me know how you do.


no, of course not. what we are saying is that its silly to completely ignore preseason like it simply doesnt matter. You take clues from what you see during this time - thats all. Obviously whats most important is how players look in the first 2 quarters against the starting offenses and defenses.

Dont overreact, but also dont ignore. Griffin has looked simply awesome against first team defenses. If you choose to ignore that because its preseason and It. Means. Nothing. than go ahead. Im going to use evaluations based on what I have seen and read about their performances - not exclusively - but as part of the entire equation, of course. You would be making a mistake in writing off the preseason as nothing meaningful.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby drsteuss » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:00 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
drsteuss wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
drsteuss wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
drsteuss wrote:Brown. No Alex Gibbs in Denver means tougher work for RB's.


Have you seen any Denver games this preseason? There has been NO dropoff...


That's because it's the preseason.

It. Means. Nothing.


I. Disagree.


Me. Too.


Then I assume all three of you will be starting Vinny Testaverde and Ron Dayne in Week 1. Let me know how you do.


no, of course not. what we are saying is that its silly to completely ignore preseason like it simply doesnt matter. You take clues from what you see during this time - thats all. Obviously whats most important is how players look in the first 2 quarters against the starting offenses and defenses.

Dont overreact, but also dont ignore. Griffin has looked simply awesome against first team defenses. If you choose to ignore that because its preseason and It. Means. Nothing. than go ahead. Im going to use evaluations based on what I have seen and read about their performances - not exclusively - but as part of the entire equation, of course. You would be making a mistake in writing off the preseason as nothing meaningful.


I've just been burned way too many times by preseason hype to get excited about anything that happens in August. Even when people play well against first team defenses in the preseason, many of those D's are 1) shorthanded due to injury holdouts, and 2) vanilla schemes that don't reflect complex regular season D's.

You know what? I'll open up a new topic for this. I'm curious to see what other people think.
drsteuss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 542
Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby King Titan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:02 am

skinsfan wrote:Griffin. Brown doesn't seem too anxious to keep his job based on what I saw today. Smith should take over sooner than later.


Say what?? Then again you are a skins fan though ..... lol
King Titan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 187
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Leonardtown, MD

Postby King Titan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:06 am

roninmedia wrote:Both will get similar numbers.

I don't like the running style of Chris Brown. He runs high and he doesn't square his shoulders when he takes a hit. Brown takes a ton of hits to the chest. BUt Griffin runs with a style low to the ground, similar to the other top backs.


I hear you and understand your point ... but if you put goggles and gerri curls on him you would it's Eric Dickerson. Looks just like him and he had a pretty successful career ...
King Titan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 187
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Leonardtown, MD

Postby MadScott » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:01 pm

I think between yards and TDs, Brown will slightly have the better year. Better supporting cast, a little easier schedule.
Image
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5924
Joined: 27 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DC » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:04 pm

I had Griffin ranked ahead of Brown even before the Anderson injury.
DC
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 30
Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Canada

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:57 pm

I have to go with Griffin for this one, Plindsey couldn't have said everything better. Dont get me wrong Brown isn't far behind but what makes people think Bell will take over?
Image

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3408
Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: waiting for the playoff push...

Postby theBigHouse » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:30 pm

I don't know enough about either to say which will be better... but in terms of fantasy value, it seems like they are two somewhat similar backs (in terms of what we expect in performance, as it's pretty divided here) but Griffin has been getting drafted a round or two later, no? If that's the case, maybe he's the better value.

I have Brown and Griffin back-to-back on my cheat sheet, with Brown in the lead. That said, I decided to put Brown ahead simply because I know/hope I can wait it out one more round for Griffin (especially since the ESPN default has him SO LOW).

Turns out I got both and will be hoping for the best ;-D
theBigHouse
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 377
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: nyc

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:03 pm

I took Griffin the mid 3rd and followed that up with Brown in the 4th. I was surprised to see him fall that far, but I think generally Q Tip is taken before Brown.
Image

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3408
Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: waiting for the playoff push...

Postby V-unit » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:46 pm

There is a reason why Denver let go of Portis and thats because they had confidence on Griffin.Please tell me Why the hell do people think Bell will over take Q-tips Job mid season.Bell is a Freakin Rookie and has to earn his spot on the team.C.Brown would be nice to have also but im looking for high risk high reward with my 3rd RB and i got Griffin for that.
Outcome:
C.Brown-1100yds rushing - 7 TDs and 180yds Rec 1TD
Q.Griffin-1345yds rushing- 9 TDS and 300yds Rec 2 TD
I think it will be close with Griffin out doing Brown.

The Preseason means Nothing to an extend but if any new starting RB looks impressive on a 1st string D ill take a gamble in picking that RB.
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1115
Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:28 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact