a request... could be good - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

a request... could be good

Moderator: Football Moderators

a request... could be good

Postby bungle613 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:22 am

Been doing research for awhile, hell since the Superbowl ended really. Have pretty much finished my drafts and am happy (don't look at my cafe league... argghhh!)

But the biggest issue I have found in researching players is lack of first hand info. This site is brilliant, as is KFFL for news among others for opinions and such.

What I would like from all of you is to give a report on your team. I know all of you watch your teams like hawks and know more about them than the rest of the teams in the league... so tell us about them.

Vikes fans.. will Moore be #2 at some point? Will Robinson get #2 back?

Broncos... Is watts the real deal and is Shanahan leaning toewards making him the #2? Is Lelie that bad? Will Plummer break out of his funk?

etc...

All in one nice condensed thread. Some opinions are fine but facts are better. Such as Buffalo has yet to field their starting 5 o-line in the same game and Mike Williams is horrible.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Addicted to FF » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:00 am

I am a big Steelers and Falcons fan. I went to the Falcons game this past Saturday against Cincinatti. My observations: Alge Crumpler will have a big year- yds. and td's. Peerless Price seems to be figuring out how to be a #1 WR. TJ Duckett is just not that good of a RB. I think in college he could just run over guys but he can't do that as much in the pros and his feet just aren't good enough to avoid tackles. One play the Falcons needed a couple of yards and he tried to run around the left end. He tripped himself up and fell for no gain. Dunn could get a ton of yards this year if he could stay healthy but that's a big if. He just seems to be too small and fragile. For where you can get Dunn however he would be the one to get. I've seen him go in drafts right before guys like A-train or Emmitt but after Wheatley which is the correct spot for him. The falcons D will be better but not draftable at this point. If I could watch any player in football it would be Vick but I would not risk the draft pick it would take to get him at this point in my fantasy draft. This offense needs accuracy from a QB that Vick has not shown he can do to this point in his carear (his completion % is very low). He will have a couple huge games I'm sure but probably not the consistency you really want from your fantasy QB. I'll wait a couple rounds later, get solid RB's and WR's and take somebody like McNair instead.

Steelers: What happened to the Steelers last season you could see coming. Everything I read or saw about the Steelers in the preseason last year was about how shaky the offense of line was. This year just seems better. Even after Simmons went down for the year with a knee injury the talk and play still seems positive. This is obviously the key for everyone on this team. Maddox is a Qb with absolutely no mobility so he has to have time. Plaxico runs routes that need time. The only person who seems to produce no matter what is Hines because most of his routes are quicker shorter routes and he's just that good. Duce Staley should have a solid year and produce maybe a little higher than where you draft him. The question with him is not so much what he'll lose to Bettis (I don't think it will be that much- perhaps a few short yardage and GL carries- I don't see Duce getting over 7 td's) but the question is what will he lose on 3rd downs to V. Haynes or a couple of other young backs they have. Either way I think he's a great pick as a #3 rb after guys like Thomas Jones, Chris Brown and Westbrook and will possibly enen be a servicable #2 if you decide to go after other needs first. The Steelers defense should be improved from last year at least in fantasy value. They are going to do more to try and make big plays and have the speed with some new starters to do it.

Overall observations: First off I want to say thank you to everyone who posts stuff on this site. I've read it every day for the past three months but this is my first time replying. This is what I've come to believe about this year. I've always been a big believer in the stud RB theory but this year seems different. After the first seven or eight guys there just seems to be too many questions about guys I would usually take with my second pick. Guys like Henry, Faulk, Dillon, D. Davis, and Steven Davis. To me there is not that much difference between them and guys I can get two to five rounds later (Chris Brown, Thomas Jones, Westbrook, Gardner, Staley). There also seems to be a big drop off in tiers with WR's from what you can get in rounds 2 and 5 and what you get after that. For these reasons I am changing up my draft strategy and going RB (if it's top 7), WR, WR, RB, RB, QB, etc. Obviously you have to be flexible to adjust to this if some great value drops to you or if you're not in the top 7 or so picks (in one draft I was 8th so I took Moss first and then adjusted from there- I still ended up with Moss, Fred Taylor, Thomas Jones, Duce Staley, Suggs, Gonzalez (I have to start a TE in this league), Charles Rogers, and Trent Green (10 teamer). Well these are some of my main observations and thoughts for this year. Last year my main thoughts involved being high on specific players- I loved Hastleback, Jackson, and Chad Johnson and got them in most drafts- Unfortunately I also loved William Green and drafted him as my #2 RB in most leagues. This could also be something that is influencing my thinking and strategy for this year. This year I'm trying to focus more on overall trends, observations and strategt instead of focusing so much on specific players.
Addicted to FF
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:18 am

<<<<< it's all in the name ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Johnny Ballgame » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:25 am

Here is your Bears report:

Thomas Jones - undervalued and will produce top 10 numbers this year. He is running behind a great offensive line (3 pro-bowlers) and has an inexperience QB that they will want to protect. He will catch a ton of passes too. This offense was made for his skills. I know people are scared of the bust label but I really think last year in Tampa he learned how to be a running back in this league under Gruden. He has been very good in the preseason.

DO NOT draft David Terrell. Yes he is the number one receiver but he is just not that good.

DO draft wr Wade. He is better at running routes and has better hands. You can get him late and get great value for this kid. He will be the number one receiver with Gage following behind him.

ONLY draft Grossman if you are in a keeper league. He will be really good NEXT YEAR but will have some growing pains this year. He may be worthy of a late flyer in really deep leagues.

If you want to take a gamble on D - the Bears will look a lot more like the 02 Bears as far as turnovers but will actually be much faster and (hopefully) healthier. Lovie will have these guys playing well. They can be had cheap if you are in a money league. I would take them as a second D.

That's it for now.
"You using the whole fist there doc?" - Irwin M. Fletcher
Johnny Ballgame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Wesley Walker » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:33 am

This is a great idea Bungle. Maybe there's a way for a message to be posted in thios forum with a subject heading that lets everyone know we're giving a full report on a game we watched (the whole thing). LIke this:

Report: MIA @ NYJ

And I then I go on and on about how good C-Mart looked and how Santana ran beautiful routes until he pulled the hammy, and how I thnk Ricks could see more playing time because of his blocking and good hands.

Really though. Good idea. We just need to get some guys on the bandwagon so as to let the clones know about the subject-heading format.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bungle613 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:46 pm

bump...

think about it... it's a good idea.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:37 pm

I like the idea, and I would be interested in participating but I really don't know where to begin. I think Wesley was right, maybe this thread would gain more interest if the title was changed.[/quote]

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk