Multi-Million Multi-Year Contracts...SCORE!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Multi-Million Multi-Year Contracts...SCORE!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Multi-Million Multi-Year Contracts...SCORE!!!!

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:50 am

What is the deal with these players signing Multi-million-year contracts. These contracts are created to ensure job security and that White Bentley with the spinners, right? Apparently it can go in the other direction also. Didnt Hugh Douglas sign a monster contract along with all these other players, eventually to be cut, released, traded? Philly didnt wanna pay Douglas a season ago and he left to make the $$$$. Now he comes back to probably get less than what was probably offered to him last season.

My point is these multi year contracts dont mean JACK! One bad season and your contract is a strong as Toilet Paper with streaks marks...FLUSHED...

The only guaranteed $ is the signing bonus, right? Whats the point of a contract if these guys can be released at any moment?

This is also probably related to the whole issue of letting college players into the game early...Banning yong players allows Veterans a few more years of job security and keeps the college game intact..(whole different topic, but a good one)

For those individuals who think these guys are dumb for holding out for more $$$. Dont you understand this is their lively hood. Just like RYAN LEAF.He sucks and He knew it. He needed to milk the chargers while he still had the upperhand! They thought he was worth it and he Held out until he got paid!!! BIGG!! He had one shot and took it...He did the right thing made his money and got out...BIGGEST FLOP EVER IN ALL OF SPORTS...im a semi charger fan i know how much this loser hurt the chargers in the long run they are still paying for it. Leaf is dumb ass doornails but the Play he made to get paid was a GREAT MOVE, ONLY compliment Ryan Leaf has been given since he was drafted.OFF TOPIC do you know that he is a homewrecker and married a charger girl who was already engaged and she dumped this other guy to get with a Multi-Thousandnaire dumbass in Ryan leaf. what a dumb-biatch. aka DB

Anyways these guys are on a payscale much-much-much higher than most of us. Dont hate on them when they hold out for an extra million or two or for that insane signing Bonus(eli manning $20 million +). They never know when they are going to get cut even if they sign a 6 year $54 million contract. Its not guarentted especially for Veterans.. :-°
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:26 am

Good post - a little on the emotional side, but the point is a strong one.

Having a longterm contract in the NFL is about as meaningful as - how you said it - toiletpaper. If the team cuts you, thats it - no money, no contract, nothin. This is obviously a bad precendent simply for the fact that it really has changed the landscape of the NFL. Players' contracts are exclusively top heavy with the signing bonus because they know its the only guaranteed portion of their contract. This wrecks havoc on signing free agents and fitting into a salary cap. There has to be a better way to pay players than what we currently have. I have never been a supporter of unions, but the NFLPA might be the weakest union in profesional sports. They need to do a better job protecting the players in a business where injuries are a way of life. As of right now, job security and future are summed up in the signing bonus, and thats just wrong.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:36 pm

Well said...

my emotions did get the best of me...i wont let it happen again, unless some M****R F****R cuts me off again! **Forum Rage**

Wuuussssaaaaa
WuuuSSSaaaaaa
WuuuuuuuuSSSSaaaaa

All Better
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Grim » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:41 pm

Lay off the crack. . .

These people all get paid far too much anyways, I think $250K a year should be the maximum for the best sports player, in any sport, because that's still an insane amount of money for playing 16 games. . .
Opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one.
Do you enjoy criticizing people's a**holes?
Grim
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BGbootha » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:44 pm

my only problem with this is, and i might be mistaken. But if a team does release a player while he is under contract, isn't the team still held to the contract and forced to pay the player either way. It may not count toward there cap roo, but the player gets the money.

Fact is the player signed the contract. Jut because he now thinks he is worth more now that he had a good year is ludicris.

Overall great post though. Nice to see something worth reading around here. Something other than a Willis McGahee 3000 passing yards over or under thread.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:21 pm

bgbootha wrote:my only problem with this is, and i might be mistaken. But if a team does release a player while he is under contract, isn't the team still held to the contract and forced to pay the player either way. It may not count toward there cap roo, but the player gets the money.

Fact is the player signed the contract. Jut because he now thinks he is worth more now that he had a good year is ludicris.

Overall great post though. Nice to see something worth reading around here. Something other than a Willis McGahee 3000 passing yards over or under thread.

I'd like to think that McGahee will finish under 3000 yds passing. :-b

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:38 pm

Cornbread hit it on the head. The union in the NFL is weak. I can't think of any other situation, sports or otherwise, where one party to a contract can unilaterally void the deal at any time while the other party is still bound.

The NFL union then takes stubborn stands on stupid issues, like absolutely refusing to impose a rookie salary structure. First rounders blow past veterans in salary without ever being on the field. Eli Manning comes into the league and makes more than Co-MVP McNair. Ridiculous.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:21 am

[quote="Grim"]Lay off the crack. . .

These people all get paid far too much anyways, I think $250K a year should be the maximum for the best sports player, in any sport, because that's still an insane amount of money for playing 16 games. . .[/quote]

Players most certainly deserve Contracts of insane proportion.

1.Conisder the $$$$ they generate for the Fracnchise. Ticket Sales, Uniforms, souveiners, Overall Franchise Value...I dont think the owners deserve all the $$$$ for themselves. In a small way its like College players they are paid with scholarships and education. Considered to be the gift that keeps giving thats why they arent supposed to get paid. Whatever. They deserve more.(completely different topic)

2. Players are like entertainers getting high-end movie starts get $10 million a pop. Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey $20 million. This is for ONE movie...On some occasions they get %s of the movie.

3. Do any of you guys know why Doctors get paid so much? One reason beside the tremedously helpful service, is they can get sued to death, for mishaps or supposed mishaps. Because of this Doctors malpractice insurance is insane.PROTECTION. How is this pertinent to NFL? When a player is injured for a year or two, maybe even career-ending injuries.What secures their families livelyhood? Multi Million $ contract, signing bonus serve as protection. Savings and Investments are few and far between.

Look at Ricky, i thought he was going to at leaset be set for a few years. He is about to file Backrupcty to avoid paying the Dolphins the Money they are asking to be copensated. After he realizes the Chronic is up in smoke and he neeeds to ree-up or needs to start smoking stress. He is most certainly going to come back to pay the real bills. This Guy Is crazy talented and should have Security in life and he absolutely does not.One Reacent Example.

I could go on but ill save it for later.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:24 am

Flipside of all this is when they have bad seasons, DO THEY TAKE PAY CUTS? NOOOOO WAAAYYYYY. :-°
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:06 am

UNDEFEATED wrote:Flipside of all this is when they have bad seasons, DO THEY TAKE PAY CUTS? NOOOOO WAAAYYYYY. :-°

They get cut.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk