Green Bay has 3 Monday Night Games... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Green Bay has 3 Monday Night Games...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Chopper » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:13 pm

I wouldn't rely too much on Favre MNF showings. Last year he had two great MNF games: the Raider game after his dad passed away and a Bears game. Lots of QB's had great games against Chicago, it seems.
He also stunk up the joint against Philly with 3 or 4 fumbles and a pass to Nate Wayne.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Turnip » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:10 pm

aussieboy wrote:Some interesting findings.

over the last 3 yrs Favre has overall averaged:

227 yards per game, 1.9 TD per game and a QB rating of 90.

His Monday Night games have been averaged as follows:

261 yards per game, 2.57 TD per game and a QB rating of 113.

So it would appear that Favre does perform better when playing on Mondays. I think most players tend to lift their game by knowing their performance is being nationally televised. I wouldnt really draft Favre any higher based on these findings though.

I'm curious as to how much last year's game against the raiders pulls that up. Maybe he had one or two good games? Just speculating.

Ahman Green is the heart and soul of this offense, but Favre is still a true leader and allows the passing game to compliment Green nicely.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PBRmeASAP » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:02 pm

Ahman Green doesn't take pressure off Favre. Favre takes pressure of Green. Green is the offense.

Favre is an INT machine. 22 last year? Crucial one in the NFC Championship Game (Where was that thrown?)

And you forget....he's old.

I disagree on your top point there. The Packers are now a run first pass second team.

Favre did have a lot of INT's last year, but that doesn't mean anything in many fantasy scoring systems. Favre will have his INT games no doubt. Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad.

As long as he's healthy I see no reason why Favre won't throw 25 + TDs this year. I also think the Packers have one of the best offenses in the NFL this year. Great line, great RB, great QB, decent receivers (Walker also looks like a future star).

Old or not, he can still make his throws, and probably still throws harder than just about anyone in the league.

The Packers lost to the Eagles because of a blown coverage on 4th and 26. The game was over right there.
PBRmeASAP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:06 pm

PBRmeASAP wrote:
Ahman Green doesn't take pressure off Favre. Favre takes pressure of Green. Green is the offense.

Favre is an INT machine. 22 last year? Crucial one in the NFC Championship Game (Where was that thrown?)

I disagree on your top point there. The Packers are now a run first pass second team.

Re-read what I said. I said "Favre takes the pressure off Green" and "Green is the offense." When I say Green is the offense, that means the Packers are a run-first team.

You say that you disagree and then you completely agree.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:33 pm

Even if you don't think Favre will be great this year it is hard for me to expect him to be a bust, he is one of the most consistent and reliable guys around.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:29 pm

PBRmeASAP wrote:

Favre did have a lot of INT's last year, but that doesn't mean anything in many fantasy scoring systems. Favre will have his INT games no doubt. Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad.

As long as he's healthy I see no reason why Favre won't throw 25 + TDs this year. I also think the Packers have one of the best offenses in the NFL this year. Great line, great RB, great QB, decent receivers (Walker also looks like a future star).

Old or not, he can still make his throws, and probably still throws harder than just about anyone in the league.

The Packers lost to the Eagles because of a blown coverage on 4th and 26. The game was over right there.
What scoring system doesn't subtract for INTs? Those 22 INTs matter, thats about 7 touchdowns worth of points, or if you play 4 per passing TD a whopping 11 touchdowns worth of points. Ouch.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PBRmeASAP » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:36 pm

Re-read what I said. I said "Favre takes the pressure off Green" and "Green is the offense." When I say Green is the offense, that means the Packers are a run-first team.

You say that you disagree and then you completely agree.

I disagree that I disagree and then complete agree. ;-)

I disagree that Favre takes the pressue off of Green. As a Packer fan I saw every game last year, and by mid-season most teams were keying on stopping Green not Favre. I anticipate that's what I'll see this year as well.

You see me disagreeing because I think you're using some bad logic. The Packers ran more and for more yards than just about every team in the league (top 5 I think) so I can't see how you can say Favre takes the pressure off Green when the Packers are a very successful run first offense. If you can explain those two contradicting viewpoints - I might be willing to change my mind and disagree then complete agree with you.
:-] [/quote]
PBRmeASAP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PBRmeASAP » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:47 pm

What scoring system doesn't subtract for INTs?

The scoring systems in both of the leagues I participate in.

Favre's TD/INT ratio for his career is about 1.66/1 If your league subtracts 2 pts for an INT and only awards 4 for a passing TD, I would avoid Favre as well.

Favre's 21 INT's last year were a bit high for him as well as he threw 16 - 15 - 16 in his previous 3 years.

Other top QB's and their TD/INT ratios:

Culpepper 1.43/1
Manning 1.52/1
McNabb 1.78/1
Green 1.63/1
Hasselbeck 1.52/1
McNair 1.59/1

Note: This does not include rushing TD's.
PBRmeASAP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby fantasizing » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:05 pm

Favre throws alot of interceptions because he tries to force it sometimes. He's aggressive and goes for it. Hasselbeck and Bulger are the same, and Culpepper to some extent. I don't mind QB's like that. They take chances, sometimes it's a 70 yard TD pass and sometimes it's a 70 yard interception return for a touchdown. Either way, they're gutsy performers, and for fantasy football purposes, you need to get those big plays, which will only come if you take those kinds of risks.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Football » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:01 pm

Last year Favre threw 22 INTs because he had a broken throwing hand half the season and WR's that made the wrong reads half the time. While he's always going to be a bigger INT threat than most QB's last year his TD's were down from where they should be this year(yes he led the league in an off year), his INT's were up and his yards were way down. Favre is one of the bigger steals in football this year as I've seen him go in the 5th or even 6th round in many drafts which is silly.
Football
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk