What does Lines & Spreads mean? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What does Lines & Spreads mean?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What does Lines & Spreads mean?

Postby aussieboy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:24 am

I havent heard these terms before. What is this forum for?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 am

Heh...not a lot of gambling in Australia??? :-)

Lines are odds that are used in football betting. There are different "lines" that are used, such as the "straight" line (based only on who will win or lose the game), over/under line (betting on whether the final combined score of a game adds up to be over or under a specified point total), and the "spread" line (a bet on a team to win by adding or subtracting an amount of points from their final score).

Spreads are used a lot for gambling. You can win more money on these bets because they are harder to predict correctly due to the giving or taking away of points. For instance, say the Vikings are playing the Lions. The oddsmakers say the Vikings are -4. This means that at the end of the game the Vikings have to win by more than 4 points for you to win the bet. Or at the same time, you could bet on the Lions +4, meaning that they basically have to lose by 3 points or less for you to win (since you add the four points to their final score).

So, if the final score is 24-17 Vikings, if you bet on the Vikings with the spread you would win (because the score would have been 20-17 with the four points taken away).

I hope I made a little sense!
Last edited by Mercer Boy on Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jumpman8828 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:51 am

Thanks Mercer Boy. I was wondering as well but too embarassed to ask O:-)
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:55 am

I will do a FAQs post and have it stickied. ;-D

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aussieboy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:16 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Heh...not a lot of gambling in Australia??? :-)

Lines are odds that are used in football betting. There are different "lines" that are used, such as the "straight" line (based only on who will win or lose the game), over/under line (betting on whether the final combined score of a game adds up to be over or under a specified point total), and the "spread" line (a bet on a team to win by adding or subtracting an amount of points from their final score).

Spreads are used a lot for gambling. You can win more money on these bets because they are harder to predict correctly due to the giving or taking away of points. For instance, say the Vikings are playing the Lions. The oddsmakers say the Vikings are -4. This means that at the end of the game the Vikings have to win by more than 4 points for you to win the bet. Or at the same time, you could bet on the Lions +4, meaning that they basically have to lose by 3 points or less for you to win (since you add the four points to their final score).

So, if the final score is 24-17 Vikings, if you bet on the Vikings with the spread you would win (because the score would have been 20-17 with the four points taken away).

I hope I made a little sense!

ha....thanks for the explanaition.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk