ESPN Strength of Schedule ratings. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

ESPN Strength of Schedule ratings.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BGbootha » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:39 pm

any linkage????
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby steelyeri » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:30 pm

mikeprovri wrote:This is a good read, but...

Don't you think that the high rate of turnover in the NFL makes these lists insignificant? I assume this list was generated off of last year's stats, which means virtually nothing for this up-coming year. Maybe irrelevant is too harsh a word, but I really think these lists should be taken with a grain of salt.

Grain of salt? Yes, absolutely.
Irrelevant? absolutely not.
;-D

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Lung » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:41 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't get it. St. Louis has the easiest schedule for wide receivers but the toughest schedule for Tight ends?

How is that possible?

Many teams, for whatever reasons, can shut down wide receivers but still allow tight ends a lot of catches, yardage and touchdowns.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby aussieboy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:17 pm

Flockers wrote:Link please.

No link provided since this is from ESPN Insider. So you wont be able to get access.

Secondly, this is the most up to date list they got. I got it yesterday.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby tman570 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Hmmm looks like another plus for Griffin for me.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Lung » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:33 pm

tman570 wrote:Hmmm looks like another plus for Griffin for me.

You didn't know previously that Denver had the best Strength Of Schedule in 2004 for running backs?!? Someone drafting the diminuitive Q. Griffin without knowing that Denver has a history of producing 1,000 yard backs and/or that they had the best SOS for running backs in the league for 2004 would be the textbook definition of dumb luck, imo.
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby biju » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:40 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't get it. St. Louis has the easiest schedule for wide receivers but the toughest schedule for Tight ends?

How is that possible?

This has been answered already, but not necessarily correctly. There are many teams who have defensive schemes that do a lot of line pressure and show a ton of different blitz packages. In these cases the Offensive Coordinator hangs the TE back in order to add protection instead of sending them out. TEs usually get a lot of looks in teams that generally play back and double up on the WRs, as they can block and release hoping to get out where no LB has picked them up.

Of course, this is just one of many different reasons why a TE could be rated lower than a WR's schedule. I would also say that the Rams often use 3 WR sets that take the TE out of the pass play again.

Anyway, my main point is that the TE has a dual role and it depends on how the team will generally attack the defense.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RyanK » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:09 pm

so according to this Brad Johnson should have a good year?
RyanK
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:34 pm

RyanK wrote:so according to this Brad Johnson should have a good year?

I think the key here is to consider adjusting your rankings based on the players talent level. For the example of Brad Johnson, after you evaluate his talent and age consider that this year he'll have an above average year for him due to the SOS. Does this put him ahead of Culpepper? Of course not. Does it put him ahead of Kyle Boller (who talent wise I have listed higher)? Maybe. And that's getting into the backup QB range. It makes a difference but in some cases you have to weigh in who you're talking about.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby gatorman1122 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:21 am

WHAT!!??? No list for kickers??? lol
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous