50+ yard td's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

50+ yard td's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:28 pm

SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:51 pm

If I were a Tennesee homer, I might press...no too much drama. Definitely 2.
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Diablo13 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:58 pm

But Moss would make anybody shine
Diablo13
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wolverine » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:54 pm

Man, this thread got away from its true intent. I'm in a league where we give bonuses for TD's over 30 yards. You can seek out information on this but for simplicity sake, just sort some stats on yards per catch. To the point that was made, only use the long TD as a tiebreaker, not as a draft strategy. Some examples:

(Round 2/3): Chad Johnson (15.1) v. Hines Ward (12.2) - advantage Johnson, Hines is more of a possession receiver.

(Round 4/5): Darrell Jackson (16.7) v. Eric Moulds (12.2) - While there are ??? around Moulds, D-Jax had a great ypc last year and several long TD's that had a lot to do with this average being so much larger.

(Round 8+): Deion Branch (14.1) v. Rod Gardner (10.2) - Decide what you want, long TD breakout potential or large-body redzone threat.

The last point seems to reiterate why this should only be considered a tiebreaker. Sometimes gamebreaker WR's don't equate into redzone threats. The prime example of this last year was Lavernaeus Coles - his smallish frame didn't lend itself to getting many looks when the 'Skins got in the redzone. I had him last year and knew he could break a long way in any week. However, I knew if they got into the redzone it typically meant that either Gardner or McCants would be the only receivers getting the TD. Frustrating...
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Addicted to FF » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:15 pm

Thanks Wolverine. That was exactly the type of information I was looking for. It is a little frunstrating that it seems hard to find a place to find how many Td's over 50 yds. certain players had last year. I guess the two best things to see were the long reception of the year thing one person posted and the yards per catch statistic. Again I am not looking at this as something to base my hole draft around I'm simply looking at it as a tie braker when two guys are very close in my opinion (chad Johnson and Hines Ward were a perfect example- if I wouldn't have before I will probably definitely now take Johnson before Ward). I think it also makes me rank Culpepper before Manning. I don't have any concrete stats to back me up but it just seems that Culpepper gets a lot of 50+ td's. Thanks again for all your responses.
Addicted to FF
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby King Titan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:58 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:King Titan wrote

CPep is a fantasy god I agree with that, but I do not think he is head and shoulders above Mac9. Mason is 30 but I don't see age an issue with him yet. Who would be the 10-12 WR's you would put ahead of him?

Here is how I would rate them now that I have to back my claim:
1. R Moss
2. Harrison (him not having any heart? please.)
3. Holt
4. Ward
5. Owens
6. C Johnson
7. Horn
8. S Moss
9. Coles
10. Boldin (before inury, not now)
11. Mason
12. D Jackson

The guys I would put ahead of Mason
1. R Moss
2 Holt (in fantasy only)
3. Harrison
4. C Johnson
5. Mason (if not injured Boldin would have been here and Mason 6)
As far as the other guys:
Owens not this year, in the past yes
Ward, Horn, S Moss, Coles are all good rec but I think #'s wise they are pretty much interchangable with Mason (toss up)
DJackson a notch below ...
King Titan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk