Tony Hollings Article.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tony Hollings Article..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tony Hollings Article..

Postby Warpigs » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:44 pm

It's looking more and more like Hollings could be a draft steal if Davis happens to go down to injury (which isn't all that unlikely)

Emerging Hollings around to give Davis breaks

By MARK BABINECK, AP Sports Writer
August 31, 2004
HOUSTON (AP) -- Domanick Davis picked up right were he left off last year. Then Tony Hollings picked up right where he left off in 2002.

Davis, who missed the first two preseason games with a bum left ankle, ran for 37 yards on his first six preseason carries last week before getting a breather in the thin Denver air.

Enter Hollings, who hasn't been 100 percent since tearing a ligament in his right knee two years ago at Georgia Tech. He took his first carry of the game 27 yards for a score.

``You look at it like, `Yeah, I did score the touchdown,' but it was the drive (Davis) was in,'' Hollings said. ``When it goes on the board, it doesn't go down as Tony Hollings scoring seven points, it goes down as the Texans scoring seven points.''

Last year, Davis' absence would have meant Houston playing a past-his-prime Stacey Mack, an unspectacular Jonathan Wells or a banged-up Hollings.

No more.

``Domanick runs so hard he's going to need a break every once in a while,'' quarterback David Carr said. ``Really, the only way to give him a rest is to take him off the field, because if he's not getting the ball he's going to block someone 60 pounds more than him as hard as he can.''

The Texans don't have a two-headed backfield or a running back committee. Davis clearly is the man after a breakout rookie season in which the fourth-round draft choice ran for 1,031 yards.

Houston believes it has, for the first time in its young history, an explosive backup who can produce in short bursts or longer if an injury occurs.

Hollings also presents an entirely different style to defenses. Where Davis succeeds using vision, quick cuts and strength, Hollings' threat is speed.

``He's more of a power runner,'' Hollings said, recalling a play at Denver when Davis broke six tackles. ``I'm more of a run-past-you type of guy.''

The one thing the tailbacks have in common is uncelebrated collegiate careers. Davis got plenty of playing time at Louisiana State, was considered a backup and kick returner.

Hollings had just four starts as a tailback at Georgia Tech after beginning as a defensive back. In those starts, though, he was leading the nation in 2002 with 633 yards and 11 touchdowns before blowing out his knee.

Houston spent a 2003 second-round draft pick on him in the supplemental draft, ostensibly as their tailback of the future. He hobbled through last season while Davis changed the Texans' plans with his performance.

Still, Hollings is thrilled he's going to be an important cog.

``I'm just excited to be out there, to be able to run and make cuts full-speed and not worry about my knee, to just play the game,'' Hollings said.

For his part, Davis is more than happy for a little relief, even if it sometimes means he doesn't score.

``Let me do the dirty work, running in the middle and everything, and he comes in with fresh legs and punches it in,'' Davis said. ``The whole team gets the points. It's not about me or Tony, it's about the team.''
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tony Hollings Article..

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:52 pm

Warpigs wrote:It's looking more and more like Hollings could be a draft steal if Davis happens to go down to injury (which isn't all that unlikely)

Emerging Hollings around to give Davis breaks

By MARK BABINECK, AP Sports Writer
August 31, 2004
HOUSTON (AP) -- ``Let me do the dirty work, running in the middle and everything, and he comes in with fresh legs and punches it in,'' Davis said. ``The whole team gets the points. It's not about me or Tony, it's about the team.''

Thats not exactly what you want to hear as a fantasy player. Nothing is more frusterating than watching your RB dominate an 80 yd drive only for the QB to playaction and hit the TE for the TD or for the goalline back to march in and steal your players points. :-P
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:53 pm

Nice article-
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:53 pm

Domanick Davis said instead of wrote:``Let me do the dirty work, running in the middle and everything, and he comes in with fresh legs and punches it in. The whole team gets the points. It's not about me or Tony, it's about the team.''

Thanks Dom; that sounds like a hint at TD vulturism to me.

I don't know what to think about Hollings; all I remember is the game he started last year where he had 20 carries for 18 yards. :-t
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:45 pm

I wouldn't necessarily call Hollings a goalline back right now. He got his first handoff from 27 yards out from the goalline, so if anything this was just DDavis getting a breather.

If I was a DDavis owner, I would be ecstatic that the Texan's have started to realize that you can't give your starting RB 100% of the carries in any given game or else he WILL breakdown. DDavis running style especially calls for semi-frequent "breathers" so he can come in fresh and continue to pound. Hollings looks to be nothing more than a change of pace back as long as DD is healthy, and I think this is a good thing for Davis in the long run.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:26 pm

Solid Article, Muchos Grassy-A$$ :-D
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk