PROSE and CONS > William Green vs. Lee Suggs, RB, Cle - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

PROSE and CONS > William Green vs. Lee Suggs, RB, Cle

Moderator: Football Moderators

PROSE and CONS > William Green vs. Lee Suggs, RB, Cle

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:59 pm

Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - Bob Lung
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lung breaks down the running back battle in Cleveland between Lee Suggs and William Green

Those of you fantasy owners, who have limited time in your life for preparation of your upcoming fantasy draft(s), I’ll post my answer now. Therefore, if you need to, you can move on to more important fantasy concerns.

THE WINNER IS: NO ONE!!!

Those of you who can stick around for the reasons, here’s why.

Green has more experience, but Suggs has more overall talent.
Willie Green proved for a short period of time that he could be a quality back in the NFL. However, that was two seasons and one wacko, backstabbing girlfriend ago! Willie was just another member of the 2003 Browns’ train wreck. He is supposed to be rejuvenated and other clichés for this upcoming season. Lee Suggs startled the fantasy world with his huge game at the end of last season. He does have more talent and anyone in football will tell you this. But, Green is Butch Davis’ prodigy and will give him every opportunity to be a factor in the running game along with the talented, yet inexperienced Suggs.

They have performed almost even this preseason.
Suggs’ stats through the first three preseason games were 15 carries for 118 yards (7.87 yards per carry) and three touchdowns. Green’s stats were 12 carries for 100 yards (8.33 yards per carry) and zero touchdowns. Other than the touchdowns, these two are almost identical. Both have had some big runs and both have struggled at times.

Butch Davis and his MiniMe, his Ego!
PLEASE TAKE NOTE HERE, FOLKS! This is the primary reason that NONE of these backs will outperform the other, unless one gets injured. Butch Davis’ job is on the line. He will try anything and everything to win, in order to keep his job. Therefore, just because he starts Suggs or Green in one game, doesn’t necessarily mean that he will start them the next. He will ride the “hot foot” game in and game out. Even if you draft both players, you would have to start them both because you never know who will have the big game.

So, there will be no clear-cut winner unless one is injured. Davis will use them as a duo, which is probably not a bad idea for the Cleveland Browns as a team, but not a good idea for fantasy owners. Is it possible BOTH could be 1,000-yard running backs like the Ernest Byner and Kevin Mack of years past? I doubt it. The offensive line has downgraded from last season and I can’t imagine they can scare anyone this season.

Remember, the great stats this preseason came against Detroit and Kansas City, who defensively ranked 25th and 29th respectively last season. Against the Titans, they combined for only 47 yards.

My advice is stay far away from the Browns’ offense in 2004. The only positive I see there is rookie tight end, Kellen Winslow Jr. The only problem with him is he’ll either win Rookie of the Year or he’ll be suspended for cheap-shoting a referee. But, at running back, the battle between Suggs and Green is a stalemate for now and easily could be all season
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby deftdelivery » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:02 pm

lol get the idiot who wrote this article to not say prose and I'll actually read it... :-)
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Turnip » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:50 pm

deftdelivery wrote:lol get the idiot who wrote this article to not say prose and I'll actually read it... :-)

Lol, ditto
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:22 am

No, the guy wrote "Prose" intentionally. It has some sort of significance or a double entedre, or something to that nature. :-?

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Cleve

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:03 am

I've never seen"Prose" and "Double Entendre" both used in the same thread. I hope this is NOT a sign of things to come. I'll have to get out my thesaurus when i come to the Cafe from now on.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:11 pm

Don't dis this guy too much...he's the fantasy football expert on the radio station I listen to. I e-mailed the DJ friend I have asking them to talk about fantasy on the morning show, and Bob was the person he found. I really liked what he had to say last week about sleepers and busts except that he thought Bledsoe was going to be a rebound player this year.

I'm afraid he's right about this...Davis will pull a Couch/Holcomb in the backfield the whole year depending on who the crowd is booing at the time. It really does stink for us.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Suggs

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:33 pm

No Disrespect intended.

I really believe that Davis is going to give Green EVERY opportunity to be the starter and then some. Remember Davis is from Miami where thugs and bullies go to "rebound" and get a chance to showcase their NFL talents. Therefore Green will get more opportunity if the race is close.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hayesb26 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:47 pm

Davis will indeed be giving Green every opportunity to be the starter in Cleveland, and IMO rightfully so.

Suggs will get his shots in as soon as Green struggles, so I wouldn't expect big things out of either of them this season.

Despite the odd use of "prose" lol, that article was right-on in the information department.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:10 pm

Green will get the chance, and I'm sure Suggs will find his way into taking over the starting spot.

My only problem with this article is the fact that he states Davis' job is on the line. With everything that is going on with the FO in Cleveland, I think...no...i know Davis' spot is secure for a few year's to come. He finally got rid of the mistakes from the past and has built the team to his standards, with his players. Now is when the evaluation period begins for Butch Davis. Not two year's ago. Not last year. This year. I see a big turn around coming, and a new smashmouth power running game will be leading the way.

;-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Return to Football Talk