Who are the return guys that do other duties? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who are the return guys that do other duties?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who are the return guys that do other duties?

Postby Berge » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:36 am

Our league gives 1pt for 30yds of returns for individuals (as well as TD's of course).

I just finished up a draft and am trying to figure out if there is anyone out there on the WW undervalued because people overlooked this angle.

I suppose even if a guy is doing regular return duties and either a) backs up a big name RB (M. Maurice maybe?) or b) plays WR as a 3rd or 4th option too
Berge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:12 am

With 30yds=1pt Dante Hall might be a first round pick. He should be returning about 10 kickoffs a game. :-D Hall will find more time at WR this year simply because KC doesn't have many other options at the position.

Randle El (if he can hold off Colclough) might be a decent spot start WR, especially if Plax is moved.

Chester Taylor might be a longshot (both returning alot of kicks and getting PT behind Jamal).
Tavish
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:38 am

Tavish (an astute fantasy baseball judge, if I may add) is dead-on with Hall and the newfound receiver value he's about to have.

Also both of the Seattle guys: Mo Morris, who you mentioned (on KO only), and Bobby Engram, the PR and No. 3 receiver in a pretty high-octane offense.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Hall

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:04 am

Hall is above and beyond EVERYONE in this catagory. With Boerighter hurt he's (HALL) is listed #2 on most depth charts above Morton behind Kennison. However...a first round pick? Are you kidding me?

Maybe, Maybe a late 3rd...NAHHHHH
If you pass on 2 solid r/bs and a GOOD #1 w/r you would IMO be making a mistake by drafting Hall.
He will still be there in the 3rd I'm sure.

All the depth charts that I've seen since Hambone has gone to Ariz. list Josh Scobey ahead of Fat Hambrick. Scobey had some 1600 return yds last year for Ariz. and is listed as #2 on most charts right now.

If Warrick gets healthy for Cincy he's a decent pick. 900 ret yds and a td plus the 800 recv yds and 6 tds.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Berge » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:12 am

Hall was taken before I realized he was still around in the midrounds (doh!)

I grabbed M. Maurice from the WW

Warrick was already taken.
I'll check on Engram
Berge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Hall

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:24 am

Daddymike59 wrote:Hall is above and beyond EVERYONE in this catagory. With Boerighter hurt he's (HALL) is listed #2 on most depth charts above Morton behind Kennison. However...a first round pick? Are you kidding me?

Yep I was kidding you. I really don't think he will return 10 kickoffs a game either. *curses the football helmet smiley*

On topic real quick, unless it is a really deep league or you have a spot reserved for return men, I wouldn't look to deep into the points off of returns. There aren't many real valuable return men who would be worth taking up a starting spot (especially a RB spot). It will add a little bit of value to some players, but those are most likely already on teams.
Tavish
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:05 am

At 30 return yards per point, kick returners don't really have any extra value in your league unless they are already a good performer at another position.

Take Dante Hall for instance, say he puts up 2000 return yards this year. This works out to about 650 receiving yards if receiving yards are worth the standard 10/pt. Add that 650 yards to Dante's receiving totals, say 500 yards, and you're looking at a 1150 yard WR with about 5 TDs. Definitely nothing to scoff at, but you have to realize Dante Hall is heads and shoulders above any other returner and that no one is even gonna come close to Hall except for maybe a Michael Lewis. And Michael Lewis doesn't even get the additional 500 receiving yardage that Hall will see.

Punt returners generally don't get as much yardage as kickoff returners, so you are pretty damn lucky if you can even garner 1 point a game off punt returning ability. Sure Steve Smith and Justin McCarreins get a slight boost in value, but it is a very, very slight boost.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk