Suggs vs. Julius - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Suggs vs. Julius

Moderator: Football Moderators

Suggs vs. Julius

Postby mikeprovri » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:02 am

Trying to combine a few threads I've seen lately.

Who will have the better stats between these two? From what I've been reading on here it sounds like people are more willing to back Julius Jones than Suggs. Most "experts" I see have them ranked very closely (with Suggs ahead).

Thoughts?
mikeprovri
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:22 am

This is a hard combo and I'll be interested in seeing how others rank these two. Overall, I think William Green will be less of a threat to Suggs than George will be to Julius. I think that way because Julius is a rookie, and Jerry Jones is in love with George. While Parcells will do basically what he wants, he also needs to gratify Jerry Jones. The whole situation is a little murky yet.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:43 am

Give me Suggs by at least a few rds. Julie is gonna find life in DAL painful behind that suspect OLine. I can see Julie finishing with 900 total yds and 6-8 TDs. Suggs on the other hand is also behind a terrible Oline, but the rest of the offense will take plenty of weight off his shoulders and he really isnt in a RBBC like they have in DAL.

BTW - for some reason I still have a gut feeling that Julie is gonna bust, so take my criticism of him with that in mind. I just dont like him - I dont think DAL will be able to run very much at all - even with Parcells infatuation of it. I think Julie will get injured sooner rather than later too - a prediction that almost came true in that last preseason game.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby muzz » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:56 am

What do ya mean by almost came true in the last game?
Don't blame us if your players stink the place up....You got our OPINION, your not paying any money for advice!!
If your new guy gets injured.. it happens, and not part of the equation beforehand.
Good Luck, and Thanks for being reasonable.
m
muzz
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:05 am

Personally, I think they both will have rough seasons, with a slight edge going to Suggs, because as of right now he has the starting job... Both these backs play behind suspect offensive lines, and both have competition for their jobs... But, at least, Lee Suggs already has the upper hand in his battle for #1... Currently Julius is 2nd... Eddie George does NOT look good, though, so that could change very soon.

The biggest problem I have with Lee Suggs is his schedule...

His first seven games are against:

Baltimore
Dallas
New York Giants
Washington
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Philadelphia

He could struggle through those games, and if the Browns are 2-5 going into the bye with Suggs putting up less than decent numbers, we could see him yanked in favor of Willie Green...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:12 am

muzz wrote:What do ya mean by almost came true in the last game?

Julie suffered a minor injury toward the end of the third qtr in the Monday Night game against TEN.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PSU All Day » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:26 am

Taking a look at last years stats sometimes helps in these discussions...

Hambrick 2003
Games - 16
Attempts - 275
Yards - 972
3.5 yards per carry
TDs- 5

Cleveland 2003 (Green (7), Suggs (7), Jackson (12) runners and games played)
Games - figure 16 between the three
Attempts - 300
Yards - 1230
4.1 yards per carry
TDs- 6

So assuming that Suggs gets all of the carries (risky assumption) and that Cleveland plays that same style of offense (risky assumption with Winslow in the lineup) and that they will face the same run defense as last year (they face harder defenses this year I think) then Suggs should do better than Jones.

I am leaning towards Suggs only on talent and opportunity. I don't think Jones is going to get the bulk of the carries early on and I am willing to bet that whoever drafts him drops him after the first few games when he is on the bench. Of course my league only has 6 bench spots so we can't afford to carry much dead weight.

I also think that Suggs will be a better back than Green and Jackson were last year so the yards per carry may increase. I doubt that Jones will get 4.1 yards per carry in Dallas but even if he did and he got all 275 carries he would still be 100 yards lower than the Cleveland total.

[/quote]
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby muzz » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:43 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

Julie suffered a minor injury toward the end of the third qtr in the Monday Night game against TEN.

You sure about that?
I heard he ran like 4-5 plays in a row and tried to tap out for a breather ( which Parcells said NO to). I didnt hear anything regarding minor injury.
Don't blame us if your players stink the place up....You got our OPINION, your not paying any money for advice!!
If your new guy gets injured.. it happens, and not part of the equation beforehand.
Good Luck, and Thanks for being reasonable.
m
muzz
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mikeprovri » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:46 am

Well, Suggs just went in my draft...so it looks like I had better shift my focus back to JJones. !+)
mikeprovri
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:57 am

muzz wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

You sure about that?
I heard he ran like 4-5 plays in a row and tried to tap out for a breather ( which Parcells said NO to). I didnt hear anything regarding minor injury.

I saw it. They also have it listed on NFL.com in the play by play summary of the game. It happened with roughly 2 minutes left in the 3rd. Julie wasnt directly involved in the play - in fact if my memory serves me correctly it was when he was blocking on a pass play.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk