I have a question........ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

I have a question........

Moderator: Football Moderators

I have a question........

Postby Roseman » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:20 am

about what is going on in Iraq maybe it is being a Canadian and being on the outside looking in on the situation.

But the Americans evidence was a little thin when it came to proveing that Saddam was in posession of weapons of mass destruction what is my understanding what this war is all about.

So as the American and British soliders move toward Bahgdad and they take over the country. What happens if they go throught all the hideouts and factories and they dont find any weapons of mass destruction?
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby fntsyrookie » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:24 am

Rosey it's not simply about WMD. There are a lot of other factors involved, none of which include oil. First off the world leaders know Saddam is a ruthless dictator. There are many documented facts of him torturing his own people. Killing them, testing chemical and biological weapons on them, etc. etc. Not a nice person. One of the main things we are doing is liberating the people of Iraq.

2nd: There was a U.N. resolution 1441 passed that basically said that Saddam had to disarm. He didn't. How do I know he didn't? Well right now he' firing SCUD missles that HE DOESN'T HAVE at our troops in Kuwait. Before the war started he told his generals to use chem/biological weapons on our troops. HOW CAN HE USE WEAPONS HE DOESN'T HAVE? It is truly mind boggling that he might be lying. (A little sarcasm there)

The U.S. is just enforcing U.N. resolution 1441 since the U.N. doesn't have the balls to do it. In the process we are offering the people of Iraq a democratic society. We are also showing states that are either in a dictatorship or in a rogue status that we will not tolerate them backing terrorists.

The U.N. is a joke. How can you pass mandates and resolutions if you're not going to enforce them?

This is sad, but this is what I believe. I believe there will be at some point another huge terrorist attack upon the U.S. I don't know who will do it, or what it will be, but it's going to happen. The U.S. will become like Israel. Constant threats and bombings. Then all these people who are against the war now will be blaming Bush and his administration for not doing enough to protect Americans.

I know people have strong views one way or the other regarding this war. I'm for it, and I respect people whose views are against it.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:18 pm

fntsyrookie wrote:Rosey it's not simply about WMD. There are a lot of other factors involved, none of which include oil. First off the world leaders know Saddam is a ruthless dictator. There are many documented facts of him torturing his own people. Killing them, testing chemical and biological weapons on them, etc. etc. Not a nice person. One of the main things we are doing is liberating the people of Iraq.

2nd: There was a U.N. resolution 1441 passed that basically said that Saddam had to disarm. He didn't. How do I know he didn't? Well right now he' firing SCUD missles that HE DOESN'T HAVE at our troops in Kuwait. Before the war started he told his generals to use chem/biological weapons on our troops. HOW CAN HE USE WEAPONS HE DOESN'T HAVE? It is truly mind boggling that he might be lying. (A little sarcasm there)

The U.S. is just enforcing U.N. resolution 1441 since the U.N. doesn't have the balls to do it. In the process we are offering the people of Iraq a democratic society. We are also showing states that are either in a dictatorship or in a rogue status that we will not tolerate them backing terrorists.

The U.N. is a joke. How can you pass mandates and resolutions if you're not going to enforce them?

This is sad, but this is what I believe. I believe there will be at some point another huge terrorist attack upon the U.S. I don't know who will do it, or what it will be, but it's going to happen. The U.S. will become like Israel. Constant threats and bombings. Then all these people who are against the war now will be blaming Bush and his administration for not doing enough to protect Americans.

I know people have strong views one way or the other regarding this war. I'm for it, and I respect people whose views are against it.

That's a very insightful post Rook. ;-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby chaindog35 » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:56 pm

There are also UN Resolutions 678 and 687 passed after the GUlf War which Iraq has never complied with. These along with 1441 are used as the legal basis for the US and British going into Iraq.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:58 pm

For what it's worth, I believe the Washington Post ran some poll results just after the attack began stating that about 7 in 10 Americans supported the war, but that that support would be significantly less if it turned out that no weapons of mass destruction were found.

One question that's been on my mind - although maybe not quite as central to the whole issue as Roseman's - is why on earth we didn't coordinate a policy with Turkey ealier. It seems as if there was plenty of time in advance; should we really be arguing about whether Turkish troops should enter (the Kurdish part of) Northern Iraq now? I may be missing something, but I don't really understand this...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Roseman » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:52 pm

See Rook we dont get that information up here just due to the fact that Canada is not directly envolved all we may get is the little bit that we might catch on a US T.V. New which is also not much. All I have gotten form the back ground was what Georgy-boy talks about quickly when he ususally interrupt regular Broadcasting (and honestly I usually change the channel). That is why I asked the question because the majority of hte people on this site are American and I figured someone could shed some light on the topic

Thanks for the Info Rook
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby awwchrist » Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:35 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the moment Iraq put a Scud into the air, wasn't that basically putting their dirty laundry out the window?

"Hi, yeah we TOLD you we didn't have any weapons of mass...HUH? Oh THAT Scud? Um...yeah that wasn't ours..."
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:57 pm

"Gee...No...I didn't see it...Well I may have heard something buzz by our building...but..umm...nope...no weapons here...maybe it was the guys next door? those crazy bunch of folks, lemme tell you!! hehehe....

ummm...yeah...you're not buying this are you??"
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Return to General Talk