Unrelated to my draft.. my friend is crazy right? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Unrelated to my draft.. my friend is crazy right?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Impressionable » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:44 pm

inferno19 wrote:
The Lung wrote:Why is the combo of #1 RB and #1 TE

any worse than

the combo of #1 RB and a top 5 WR?

Because TE's normally score much less than WRs. Would you rather throw to Hines Ward (my number 5) or Gonzo?

Uhhhm... That's not the point. A lot of people can put up points. CPepp put up numbers in comparison to the top 5 RBs and has no question marks over him, does that mean take him #1? No, it's a VBD.

Gonzo will considerably outscore virtually any TE in the league, we're talking about beating the other team weakly. If the top WRs are gone, the next couple are really pretty much in the same tier, and are equivalent value draft picks.
[[Placeholder]]
Impressionable
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:46 pm

He'll be lucky to see Gonzo sitting at the end of round 2 in a 12 team league if the rest of the owners aren't turnips.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:52 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Anyone else agree with me that if the top 6 WRs are gone, taking Culpepper or Manning is a good bet? I like Gonzo, and I would take him at the top of the 3rd, but I like him a lot better in the mid-3rd.

Im totally w/ you.

After the top 6 WRs are off the board, the value appears to be elsewhere this year. Culpepper, Manning and Gonzo would all be candidates IMO at this point
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:03 pm

Flux wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Anyone else agree with me that if the top 6 WRs are gone, taking Culpepper or Manning is a good bet? I like Gonzo, and I would take him at the top of the 3rd, but I like him a lot better in the mid-3rd.

Im totally w/ you.

After the top 6 WRs are off the board, the value appears to be elsewhere this year. Culpepper, Manning and Gonzo would all be candidates IMO at this point

yup. there is definitely a value gap after the top 6 WRs. Now the question is where the best value is after them. I t could be RBs again - the end of the 2nd tier of RBs might hold the most value - or the elite QBs - or the Gonzo pick.

Do you know what potentially makes Gonzo a bad pick in the 3rd?

Heap, Shockey, and Winslow in the 6th. If any of them have a season even slightly less than TGon, and they all have the opportunity to, then TGone in the 3rd becomes a bad pick.

I think the real value in TEs this yr is getting one of the 3 in the 2nd tier as a mid rd pick. All of them have a really good chance of putting up exceptional numbers this yr that might rival Gonzos.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:07 pm

But the thing is nobody waits till the 6th to get Shockey or Gonzo. In most leagues the moment Gonzo comes off the board Heap and Shockey are right on his heels. 1 of them typically in the same round..the next to follow a round later.

So is Shockey or Heap then worth a 3rd or 4th round pick? Not in my estimation. If they indeed did last till the 6th than by all means...but I just dont see that happening enough.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:21 pm

awwchrist wrote:But the thing is nobody waits till the 6th to get Shockey or Gonzo. In most leagues the moment Gonzo comes off the board Heap and Shockey are right on his heels. 1 of them typically in the same round..the next to follow a round later.

So is Shockey or Heap then worth a 3rd or 4th round pick? Not in my estimation. If they indeed did last till the 6th than by all means...but I just dont see that happening enough.

Ive seen themfall into the 5th and even 6th pretty regularly, but then again, maybe I should stop drafting with the guys from "the home" :-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:21 pm

In my keeper league, I just drafted Gonzo at the end of the 1st (what would equate to being the 4th) round. I think I got pretty good value there. 2 Picks later Heap was off the board. But another TE wasn't drafted till the 4th round (Shockey) which I think was incredible value. But the thing is there is no gaurantee that will happen. Most of the drafts I'm in the top 3 go right after another. And even Kellen works his way in sometimes. Gonzo is a average pick at the beginning of the 3rd because thats where he always goes. If you can get him later it becomes a great pick. But he wont be around later. He rarely goes up or down in drafts. He wont be there with the next pick so take him with that one.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:03 pm

The Lung wrote:
inferno19 wrote:
The Lung wrote:Why is the combo of #1 RB and #1 TE

any worse than

the combo of #1 RB and a top 5 WR?

Because TE's normally score much less than WRs. Would you rather throw to Hines Ward (my number 5) or Gonzo?

Yes.

BUT, if you've got Hines Ward or another #5 WR, you've likely got at best a mediocre TE, while I've got Gonzalez, so I'm scoring many more points than you in the TE position. And if I got a half decent WR pick with my 4th pick, I may still occasionally score points equal or greater than that of Hines Ward or another #5 WR.

Well, you can't just give yourself a 4th pick and not the other person. They're going to get a 4th pick as well and likely take a 'decent WR' similar to your #1 to be their #2. So really you have to go all the way down, his #1 will be as good as your #2, his #2 as good as your #3, etc.

To do a fair comparison in this matter you'd have to compare the point difference between all 3 wr's and the TE, not just 1 wr and the TE.

Now, if they came around and took a tight end in the 4th when you took your WR it would be a bit different. But the most common TE strategy seems to be gonzo or bust, so if they don't take gonzo, they likely won't be taking a TE for another 10 rounds.
Last edited by Free Bagel on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby crimsonrebel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:04 pm

I'd be thrilled to have 2 stud RBs and Gonzo after 3 in most leagues. With a league that small even the 12th QB picked will be adequate, and you can wait till round 5 or 6 to get a QB. I picked up what I felt was the #7 WR at pick number 56 in my league, so there is good talent available that late.
crimsonrebel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Turnip » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:08 pm

awwchrist wrote:He'll be lucky to see Gonzo sitting at the end of round 2 in a 12 team league if the rest of the owners aren't turnips.

What the hell! Don't make this personal. :-b

Depending on the settings, I would probably prefer Hines Ward over Tony at that point. If it's your standard Yahoo! settings though, either pick is fine.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk