Does anyone play games other than Madden? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Does anyone play games other than Madden?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does anyone play games other than Madden?

Postby bagobonez » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:57 am

I'm personally looking forward to Silent Hill 4, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:52 pm

I played the hell outta Tribes 2 competitively for years. T:V goes into open beta next week, so we'll see how that goes, though from what I've seen it looks a bit too UT'y.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby hayesb26 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:08 pm

I play the grand theft auto games, as well as both of the hitman games. Other first person shooters like Rainbow Six and such also catch my eye from time to time.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:59 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I played the hell outta Tribes 2 competitively for years. T:V goes into open beta next week, so we'll see how that goes, though from what I've seen it looks a bit too UT'y.

I played Team Fortress Classic competitively for a couple of years, but my computer decided I needed to stop playing it, so it stopped running it. Man I miss that game, though.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flockers » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:24 pm

Splinter Cell.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:41 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I played the hell outta Tribes 2 competitively for years. T:V goes into open beta next week, so we'll see how that goes, though from what I've seen it looks a bit too UT'y.

I played Team Fortress Classic competitively for a couple of years, but my computer decided I needed to stop playing it, so it stopped running it. Man I miss that game, though.

You're computer must be hurtin if it won't run T2 ;)

I'll let ya know how the T:V beta is when it comes out next week. Though the first impression that I'm getting is that they've tried to mainstream it too much. The tribes series has never been as popular as games like UT and HL because of the steep learning curve.

The popular shooters you can pretty much just pick up and play, and the weapons are powerful enough that you can start killing people right out of the box, but I think most people end up getting frustrated and dropping T2 before they ever really learn how to play it. I still remember it taking me like 3 days before I finally killed anyone. It's the only game where I still felt like I was actually getting better and learning new things more than a year after I started playing it. People that finally get past the learning curve generally see it for it's deep and brilliant gameplay, and end up playing it religiously. So, Sierra ends up with hardcore enthusiasts that play the game religiously, and people that don't play the game at all, with little to know middle ground, whereas the more popular shooters out there make their money on that middle ground of people that just want to pick up a game and have fun every once in a while without having to learn all its nuances.

It seems like Sierra has decided that it's worth giving in to more shallow gameplay to bring in the extra bucks.

For instance, I've heard that MA's, once a staple of great players in T1 and T2, are exceedingly easy in T:V.
Last edited by Free Bagel on Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Flockers » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:46 pm

ESPN NFL 2K5.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Favre.com » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:14 pm

I really don't have time for games anymore.

Splinter Cell is amazing, truly amazing.

Silent Hill 4 will be great, and Fable will basically take over my life for about 6 months once it comes out.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby jumpman8828 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:36 pm

I was into Diablo II until Madden was nearing release.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Canacuna » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:49 pm

I'm usually not too big on games, but there's a few I might be trying soon... Hell, there's more games coming out this year that I'm interested in than the last five years combined.

Halo 2, the new Grand Theft Auto (whatever it's called), the new Metal Gear Solid (whatever it's called), Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, and probably some others.

I'm considering Fable - I'll at least give it a rental. I think it might get a 'lil boring after a while... maybe Doom III too - I really only play FPS for the multiplayer, and Halo is good for that (my computer can barely run the original Doom, so playing it on the computer isn't really an option).

There's probably some others that are coming out that look cool, but everything I know about current games has been ripped off from what my friend has been telling me about the last couple months. What he hasn't told me about, I don't know (good 'ol SNES and PSX stuff I can hold my own with, though).
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Video Games