Bad to have a WR/RB or QB/RB or QB/WR from same NFL team? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bad to have a WR/RB or QB/RB or QB/WR from same NFL team?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:52 pm

Turnip wrote:It's not that Manning doesn't consistently put up great numbers,

it's just that the top backs put up so much better numbers than the lower backs. Manning isn't going to blow away the rest of the QB's the way the elite RB's will.

I think the whole point was to say that the top RBs change year in year out. Noone knows really whos going to be at the top. With Peyton you are gauranteed. Thats all I was saying. And it actually makes sense.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Did I do OK?

Postby purestrength » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:35 pm

I did a 12-team, big-money draft over the weekend (traditional scoring with 1 point per reception, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 1 flex, 3 WR, yada yada).

I picked Edgerrin James in the first round (No. 6 overall) and Peyton Manning in the second round (No. 19 overall). I followed them with T.Jones, Moulds and Chambers in rounds 3, 4 and 5.

I personally think the Colts will go crazy offensively this year and put up huge numbers. Assuming my thoughts are not too far off, did I make a smart decision or did I f--- up?

P.S. -- I also took the Ravens' D and Stover as my kicker, so my Week 6 is screwed.
purestrength
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mad benjamin » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:32 am

I don't have a problem with it as such. The pay off could be huge or it could really come back to bite you, at some point. I'd much rather have, say, Manning/Harrison or Culpepper/Moss than Plummer/Lelie.

BTW, a couple seasons ago, my brother made his team better with a trade that got him half the Oakland Raiders roster (Gannon/Garner and Rice) and went on a 3 game tear, but saw his season end because the Raiders tanked at Miami. I don't think it is good to put too many eggs into one basket.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

combo

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:54 am

I agree with the Bagel.

Only a #1w/r #1 r/b seems to be a problem

Unless a team scores 40 pts more likely than not, EITHER the running game was on or the passing game was on.

Not too many 100+yd rushing games coupled with 100+ yd recv games

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PBRmeASAP » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:06 am

I have always been a fan of the QB/TE combo. Especially since I rarely jump on the big time TE and instead focus on quality starters and depth at QB, RB, and WR. When your QB/TE combo hooks up for a TD you have a nice double score. If your QB has a bad game it normally won't kill you because TE are so hit and miss after the first 3 or 4 anyway.

This year I drafted Pennington after already having Santana Moss on my team. Pennington was by far the best option at that point so I went ahead and took him. I think this one may pay off for me. As I expect both to have big seasons. I will certainly suffer if they have a bad day. But I also have McCalister, Griffin, and R. Smith (and Bolden when he gets healty) to pick up the slack if they do.
PBRmeASAP
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:12 am

PBRmeASAP wrote:I have always been a fan of the QB/TE combo.

Interesting. Very interesting.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:15 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:A Hasselbeck/DJax/KRob/Alexander combo would be funny. Probably one of the only teams with top notch guys at all 4 positions (maybe Rams).

Hello! Pennington? C-Mart? Moss? McCareins?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:17 am

Free Bagel wrote:I think most people that have a problem with combos would be more inclined to avoid a #1 WR/#1 RB then what you have.

Very funny. They just call you "The Bagel" now. I love it.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:20 am

Wesley Walker wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:A Hasselbeck/DJax/KRob/Alexander combo would be funny. Probably one of the only teams with top notch guys at all 4 positions (maybe Rams).

Hello! Pennington? C-Mart? Moss? McCareins?

CMart is nowhere near Faulk fantasy-wise, let alone top 5 back Alexander. Plus, Bruce and KRob are both better #2s than rather unproven McCareins IMO.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:57 pm

I grabbed Edge and Harrison in rds. 1 and 2 of one of my money leagues. I couldn't pass up the value of Harrison there. I'm really starting to think though that I should trade him in for couple of lower tiered guys however based on this thread, it's really got me thinking.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk