Holmes Vs. LT - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Holmes Vs. LT

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mysteryhunt » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:30 pm

though, no one has ever posted TD numbers like priest did last year. and how many thought he wouldn't even repeat his numbers from 2 years ago last year? scary as it is, he could repeat last year as easily as not. would you want to risk picking someone else with your #1 pick?
mysteryhunt
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:51 pm

The reason I have Green ranked behind Priest and LT is b/c last year was BY FAR Green's best year. Granted it was the best year for both Priest and LT, but the jump was way more for Green. Career year? very possible.

I dont think Green will suck by any means, but LT and Priest are IMO more likely to repeat or improve on last years numbers more than A. Green
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:00 pm

Flux Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I have Green ranked behind Priest and LT is b/c last year was BY FAR Green's best year

This is a good point, but Green's jump last year looks very similar to the one Holmes made between 2001 and 2002. With all the same offensive pieces in place, and no change in the offensive system, I think Green can match last years totals, just like Holmes did following his break out year.

I still say Holmes is No 1, but I go back and forth on Green and LT2. You really can't go wrong with either.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flockers » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:01 pm

veg3ta21 wrote:green over LT2....wtf are you smoking?

Green will have a better season than LT. Green Bay has one of the top five offensive lines in the NFL. With Favre getting older; Green will be an even bigger part of the Packs offense that last year. I look for about the same stats as last year, but maybe less rushing touchdowns.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Leftyspills » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:03 pm

LT is great, but SD sucks. Some are predicting 0-16. He will get his yards and catches but from the 20 to the 20. They can't close the deal in the red zone without other playmakers. Holmes is a TD machine and undeniably #1 on a solid team. My league is keeper for 2 years max, so I went with Holmes on a good team over LT on the JV team. I was a tough call though.
Leftyspills
Leftyspills
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Crafty » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:21 pm

Nobody who has posted so far knows anything about the Chargers' O-line.

First, the line is far improved over last year. Every single starter for last year was injured, even the vaunted Jason Ball. They've all been replaced with people who are far more durable, and they enter the season with no injuries. Fonoti, who didn't even play last year, is down to 350 and has been awesome in the preseason.

Second, the knock on the O-line last year was for pass protection, not run blocking. LT never had a problem finding holes. The line sucked, however, at giving Brees enough time to throw. (The sacks stat puts the line at about 15th or so, but it doesn't account for hurried passes.)

Also, everybody knocks the Chargers' receivers, and it is a suspect group. But it's not worse than last year, which saw Boston generally dropping balls and giving up on routes, and the rest of the corps (Parker, Dwight, and Caldwell) injured for pretty much the whole season. There was nobody to throw to! With these not-so-good dudes back, and Gates having another year of experience, the offense is going to be like a beginner's version of KC's offense, with the emphasis on the rb and te, and a flock of so-so receivers. NO, they won't touch KC for a couple of years at least, but that's the plan. The biggest knock should be Rivers or Brees, neither of whom is qualified to start at this point, but that just means more emphasis and reliance on LT.

Final thing to consider is LT's offseason training program, which you should read about.

I still have him just behind Priest, but those two dudes are way beyond what Green is going to do this year.
Fortune favours the bold.
Crafty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Impressionable » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:16 pm

mysteryhunt wrote:though, no one has ever posted TD numbers like priest did last year. and how many thought he wouldn't even repeat his numbers from 2 years ago last year? scary as it is, he could repeat last year as easily as not. would you want to risk picking someone else with your #1 pick?

The scarier fact was that all 27 of his TDs came from RUSHING plays, when he had a good number of passing TDs in previous years. Also, Tony Richardson is developing into a fullback only, and he'll be as good as last year. I see no reason why Holmes will not continue to be the best back, and 20+ TDs from him is no stretch. In a redraft, Holmes is still king.
[[Placeholder]]
Impressionable
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby proncis » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:43 pm

Crafty wrote:Nobody who has posted so far knows anything about the Chargers' O-line.

First, the line is far improved over last year. Every single starter for last year was injured, even the vaunted Jason Ball. They've all been replaced with people who are far more durable, and they enter the season with no injuries. Fonoti, who didn't even play last year, is down to 350 and has been awesome in the preseason.

Second, the knock on the O-line last year was for pass protection, not run blocking. LT never had a problem finding holes. The line sucked, however, at giving Brees enough time to throw. (The sacks stat puts the line at about 15th or so, but it doesn't account for hurried passes.)

Also, everybody knocks the Chargers' receivers, and it is a suspect group. But it's not worse than last year, which saw Boston generally dropping balls and giving up on routes, and the rest of the corps (Parker, Dwight, and Caldwell) injured for pretty much the whole season. There was nobody to throw to! With these not-so-good dudes back, and Gates having another year of experience, the offense is going to be like a beginner's version of KC's offense, with the emphasis on the rb and te, and a flock of so-so receivers. NO, they won't touch KC for a couple of years at least, but that's the plan. The biggest knock should be Rivers or Brees, neither of whom is qualified to start at this point, but that just means more emphasis and reliance on LT.

Final thing to consider is LT's offseason training program, which you should read about.

I still have him just behind Priest, but those two dudes are way beyond what Green is going to do this year.

Good post. Took the words out of my mouth.

I have the second pick in my draft, and I was weighing between Green and LT, and I ultimately went with LT.

Why? Because of the reasons mentioned above.

As for the Priest argument, someone in the Cafe had a post were he mentioned that "you have to go with Priest because he plays in an offense that funnels the ball to the RB in the red zone, but even more impressive is that Priest plays for a coach that wants him to get touches in the red zone." Or something like that.
proncis
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:54 pm

This year my league is awarding 1 pt per reception. Also, in another effort to increase the importance of WR's, we're also awarding 2 more points for receiving TD's (as opposed to passing or rushing TD's).

With this scheme in mind, I'd have to say that LT2 is the most valuable back.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Grim » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:59 pm

Well it may be repetitive but at least people shared opinions. . .
I've never really been comfortable with Holmes, so I'm glad I never had #1. . .I prefer either #3 or #4 so I can get either Green, LT, or Portis whoever is left, and then have a decent pick (#7 or 8) on the way back down for a good 2nd RB (or maybe stud QB or WR depending who's left). . .
Opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one.
Do you enjoy criticizing people's a**holes?
Grim
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk