NFC East Offenses - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFC East Offenses

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:01 pm

Turnip wrote:I've never been in a league where you got to drafted Offensive Teams. Maybe IDPs plus an Offensive team that everyone drafts late? Hehe.

I'd have to rank the offenses

Philadelphia
Washington
Giants
Cowboys

But there's a strong case for Washington having the top offense if their O-line was healthy. ....But not Dallas.

There ya go ;-D

King Titan your rankings and reasons for them make absolutely no sense. Owens is old and washed up?? Mason will be his age in a few monts by the way.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFC East Offenses

Postby maddog60 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:52 pm

King Titan wrote:Dallas is ranked #1 because they will have a good ball control offense that will pick important third and shorts that will keep the ball in their hands and the chains moving. Also with the vets they will not have many turnovers. Not a whole lot of flash and talk but 21pts a game consistently

Lets look at the major players here, shall we:

WR: Keyshawn - 32 yrs old, 66.7 ypg, 6 TDs per year avg
RB: George - 31 in a month, 3.7 ypc, 9.25 TD per year avg
QB: Vinny - 39 yrs old, 75.4 QB rating, 56.3 Pct, 1.07 TD/INT ratio

Now lets compare those career averages to the team you judged to be the worst.

WR: TO - 31 yrs old, 70.8 ypg, 10.125 TDs per year avg
RB: West. - 25 in a day, 4.9 ypc, 5.5 TDs per year avg
QB: DMac - 28 yrs old, 79.3 QB Rating, 57 Pct, 1.78 TD/INT ratio

Position by position:

WR - Philly has the young WR who averages more yards per game and substantially more TDs in each season. Lets not forget, that last year was a disappointment for TO, his worst of his past 4 seasons, yet his total yards were only 164 yards less than Keyshawn's best season, and his TD total only 1 less than Keyshawn's best ever. And that was a disappointing season for TO!

Advantage, Philly.

RB - There's no questioning at 10000+ total yards that Eddie George was a great RB, emphasis on the word was. Westbrook doesn't have the proven record, but his career ypc (the most important stat for RBs) is still a whopping 1.2 higher than Eddie's. Hmm, do I want the guy who averages 3 and inches on 2 carries or the guy who averages 3 and 3 on 2 carries. Also, George has yet to average 4 ypc in the past 4 seasons. He even finished with a worse ypc than Hambrick did last year, only beating him in total yardage due to substantially more touches. Considering the Cowboys offense was lackluster with Hambrick last year, the aged Eddie George seems like a step backwards at this point.

Advantage, Philly (albeit only slight due to the unprovenness of Westbrook).

QB: So lets see, McNabb has a higher career QB rating, a higher career completion percentage, and and a substantially higher TD/INT ratio than Vinny. (btw: I excluded rushing TDs which would've given McNabb even more advantage there because I wanted to look specifically at their respective passing ability). Not even considering that McNabb is in his prime and Vinny is about ready to retire (aka play for Oakland), McNabb is just the better QB. He doesn't turn the ball over as much, scores more often, and passes better. And he's managed to do that with WRs that can't compare some of Testaverde's go-to guys.

Advantage, Philly.

So somehow, a team with a better QB, better RB, and better WR is going to finish 4th in the divison, while the team with lesser at each spot finishes 1st? That defies all logic.

King Titan wrote:Philly has a talented but erratic QB who is overhyped a RB who is flashy but has never played a whole season, beyond a loud, moody 31 year old WR not really a whole lot at that position. I see an OFF that will struggle to score 300 pts.

Hmm, a loud moody 31 yr old WR.... I seem to recall a book titled "Give me the ball." TO's attitude is no less an issue than Keyshawn's, except TO is just plain better at catching the ball than Keyshawn.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fantasizing » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:36 pm

this thread is a joke right? Dallas's offence is pathetic....
must be a joke.....
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flux » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:40 pm

King Titan, your homerism, and hate for McNabb has really turned me off from ANY of your posts, as im sure it has for other members.

I actually doubt you have said anything on this site that was 1) not pro McNair or 2) anti-McNabb

try to be objective and have an opinon on other teams/players and be a contributing member here
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Football Newbie » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:47 pm

Flux wrote:King Titan, your homerism, and hate for McNabb has really turned me off from ANY of your posts, as im sure it has for other members.

I actually doubt you have said anything on this site that was 1) not pro McNair or 2) anti-McNabb

try to be objective and have an opinon on other teams/players and be a contributing member here

I now just skim over his posts to get to the next reply. Im sure others do the same.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby kanezfan11 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:52 pm

King Titan...

The Titans have the best offense in the NFL, Derrick Mason is the #1 WR in the league, Chris Brown will surpass Priest Holmes this year, and McNair will have better stats than Manning, right? Do you ever say anything that's near factual or productive?
Last edited by kanezfan11 on Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:52 pm

This thread is a joke!

Dallas best O in the NFc East? :-?
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby proKrastinate » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:12 pm

the guy obvious likes the Titans, and has absolutely no respect for the Eagles. Fine, whatever. This topic has been beaten to the ground over and over again. No changing him. The only reason you guys keep seeing these posts? You respond to them. He might actually have some decent football knowledge if perhaps he were to get past the homerism. Or perhaps hes even right, but until he and the rest of the cafe just let it die it will result in the same.

So...let this thread rest in peace where it is. For the sake of the cafe, Titan, whether you are wrong or right only time will tell. We understand how you feel and thats fine. But it wont get anywhere to keep pushing the topic. After this much time you aren't going to change the minds of anyone.

So if you only do this because you get off on it, i guess you'll be satisfied because everyone seems to feel "required" to reply to your threads over...and over again. So please, EVERYONE (caps intended), keep replying. Your the ones letting it linger.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bagobonez » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:20 pm

2003 standings on total yards...

Dallas 15th
Philadelphia 18th
NY Giants 20th
Washington 23rd

I bet if someone would have said before the 2003 season that Dallas would have the best offense in the division, everyone would have scoffed then too.

Dallas produced more total yardage than Philadelphia did last year, and that was with Quincy, Hambrick and Galloway as the main skill positions. Replace Quincy with Vinny, Replace Hambrick with Eddie/Julius, replace Galloway with Keyshawn, and you can make an argument that Dallas will finish even better than they did last year offensively.

Now let's take a look at Philadelphia. Added Terrell Owens. Lost James Thrash. Lost Duce Staley. Lost Correll Buckhalter. How much better did they really get? Staley was the heart and soul of the offense. He was the guy that could get it done when no one else could. Buckhalter's injury is huge. He was supposed to keep Westbrook fresh. THere's no way Westbrook makes it through the season healthy.

And why is Westbrook supposed to be considered a top 10 RB when he's never even carried the load for a full season? He couldn't stay injury free when he was part of a 3-man rotation, and now he's the only guy!

So Westbrook's a lock to be a big-time producer but the combination of Eddie George and Julius Jones isn't?

What King Titan is saying isn't totally far-fetched. I don't see Philadelphia finishing dead last on offense in the division, but I could see Washington over-taking them and Dallas could easily once again have the best offense in the East (just like they did last year).

My God, it's like the mere mention of Dallas having a good offense gets everyone riled up. Looks like the media has brain-washed just about everybody into being Cowboy haters and Eagles' fans.

Some of you are like a bunch of zombies, walking slowly with your hands out in front of you like Frankenstein, saying "Eeeeeagles, eeeeeagles, mcnaaaaaaaabb"
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:06 am

bagobonez, yards matter nothing, points are everything. I don't care how many yards an offense gets unless it puts points on the board it isn't being effective.

And what do you know:

2003 total TDs:

Philly: 23.4 Points per game, 43 TDs
Dallas: 18.1 Points per game, 31 TDs
Wash.: 17.9 ppg, 30 TDs
NYG: 15.2 ppg, 26 TDs

Have all the yards you want, but when it really counts scoring points is what an offense has to do, and the Eagles did that best. In fact, the margin by which they outscored the 2nd best NFC East offense in ppg was larger than the difference between all other 3 teams offenses. And this was a year where Philly's offense collapsed during the first 8 weeks.

Oh, and another thing. Philly had more yards per play by their offense last year than Dallas. (5.3 to 4.9). So despite getting more total yards, Philadelphia got more yards per play and scored about 5 more points every game on average. I think that clearly demonstrates which offense was better last year.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk