NFC East Offenses - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFC East Offenses

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:13 pm

I watched a lot of Eagles games last year, and it seemed to me that they did get a lot of cheap-ass calls in big situations. I never really looked into the stats until I read some of Bagobonez' numbers.

Bagobonez cites penalty yardage, but I think it is the timing and significance of the penalties that is critical.

Last year the Eagles had 302 total first downs, with a whopping 41 of them coming from penalties. That is roughly 14% of their first downs coming via the penalty. That is ridiculous. The Eagles led the NFL in conversions by penalty (41), with only 5 other NFL teams having as many as 30. I looked a little deeper, and found that the Eagles' opponents only had 19 total first downs come via the penalty.

Bagobonez, your beloved crappy Cowboys had a total of 22 first down conversions via the penalty.

IMO, something stinks here. I am not going as far as saying that someone is being paid off, but numbers don't lie. You can't just dismiss something as paranoia when there are concrete facts to back it up. The fact is the Eagles got a lot of calls last year. The question of why we may never know.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:13 pm

bagobonez wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:. If anything maybe the Eagles players were playing with different rules because they had the respect of the officials.

Yeah, the RESPECT of the officials. Money buys respect ya know. :-)

Yeah I'm sure it does......and I'll leave it at that. ;-)
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bagobonez » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:37 pm

Vlad the Impaler wrote:I watched a lot of Eagles games last year, and it seemed to me that they did get a lot of cheap-ass calls in big situations. I never really looked into the stats until I read some of Bagobonez' numbers.

Bagobonez cites penalty yardage, but I think it is the timing and significance of the penalties that is critical.

Last year the Eagles had 302 total first downs, with a whopping 41 of them coming from penalties. That is roughly 14% of their first downs coming via the penalty. That is ridiculous. The Eagles led the NFL in conversions by penalty (41), with only 5 other NFL teams having as many as 30. I looked a little deeper, and found that the Eagles' opponents only had 19 total first downs come via the penalty.
Bagobonez, your beloved crappy Cowboys had a total of 22 first down conversions via the penalty.

IMO, something stinks here. I am not going as far as saying that someone is being paid off, but numbers don't lie. You can't just dismiss something as paranoia when there are concrete facts to back it up. The fact is the Eagles got a lot of calls last year. The question of why we may never know.

I think that is the most telling statistic of all. 41 first downs due to penalty. If McNabb short hops one, just throw the yellow and say there was defensive holding.

Like you said, we may never know WHY the Eagles were in the refs' favor so much, but I think it's more than pure coincidence that they were. Then throw in how everyone in the world seems to want the Eagles to finally make it over the hump and win one, and how everyone kisses McNabb's @SS so much, and it smells of conspiracy to me.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:55 pm

Ok.. bagobonez, King Titan, Rawdag, whoever else.. youve made your points. The eagles are overrated, and there is a huge conspiracy where the refs favour the eagles. This thread proves my point that King TItan just wants to start fights, as he made 1 post then left, without backing it up. At least the other 2 are still attempting to prove their points. BUt i think that this is something that is impossible to prove, so i say everyone stops debating this pointless issue
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:24 pm

Once again another stupid thread that can't be proven until the end of the year. Lock this, and then bump it back up at the end of the year mods.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:51 pm

Yeah, but what will even be proven at the end of the year?
I know that the original topic of this thread was who has the best offense in the NFC East, but even if Dallas finished 1st (like they did last year) someone will say that "Oh, Philly was really better because they scored more points, or had more yards per play" or whatever.

I will be keeping a close eye on the officiating in Philadelphia's games though.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:09 pm

I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:47 pm

bagobonez wrote:Yeah, but what will even be proven at the end of the year?
I know that the original topic of this thread was who has the best offense in the NFC East, but even if Dallas finished 1st (like they did last year) someone will say that "Oh, Philly was really better because they scored more points, or had more yards per play" or whatever.

I will be keeping a close eye on the officiating in Philadelphia's games though.
Total yards are a bad way to rank an offense. Like Aikman said there should be a much better system so people don't use "Well we were the top offense last year" argument based on yards. The best offense would be the one that scores the most point, not gains the most yards.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:04 am

I think there should be some kind of formula to determine the top offense, much like they determine QB rating. The reason I say that is because points scored could be misleading as well. I mean, what if your offense is totally stale but your defense and special teams score you 1 or 2 TD's a game? And what if your defense is totally dominant and forces opposing offenses to go 3 and out every time, giving your stale offense a very short field to work with?

I guess my point is, moving the ball is an important stat as well, and I don't think yardage should just be thrown to the wind, but I agree that total yards doesn't tell the whole story. There should be some kind of formula.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk