Should I be worried about Westbrook? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should I be worried about Westbrook?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Rat Pack » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:19 pm

Speculation, speculation, speculation. The truth is nobody knows what will happen with Westbrook being the main guy, because this will be his first season in that role. He might get hurt, he might not be able to handle the load, he might get E. Boli virus tomorrow. Who knows? My advice on this issue is that it is very up in the air and you should probably just go with your gut. Personally, I think he's gonna have a big year, but that's just me.
"Here's the thing: if you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, you are the sucker."- Rounders
Rat Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Favre.com » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:29 pm

I really can't see how I can be worried about Dom Davis. The guy has a minor injury now, but he was about as dominant as any other runningback when he got the chance last year, I think the coaching staff saw his skills and potential and will not just throw that away and make him split because he is minorly injured right now.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:33 pm

Favre.com wrote:I really can't see how I can be worried about Dom Davis. The guy has a minor injury now, but he was about as dominant as any other runningback when he got the chance last year, I think the coaching staff saw his skills and potential and will not just throw that away and make him split because he is minorly injured right now.

It has nothing to do with injury, but for some reason, the Houston coaching staff is actually really high on Tony Hollings and have mentioned on two occasions that they want to get him something like 8-12 carries a game. Not sure on the exact number, but it was something like that.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:35 pm

Could it be that football is evolving in an un-fantasy-friendly way? RBBC seems to be the norm these days, to som eextent at least. One back carrying the whole load is rare, and those guys are head and shoulders above the rest as far as fantasy value. Westbrook is obviously not one of those guys.

Still, he is the featured back in that offense and should still get the majority of carries.

He's no Priest Holmes, Deuce, Ahman, LT, Fred Taylor, Edge, or Shaun A. I'd categorize him with Stephen Davis.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Favre.com » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:35 pm

VHawk15 wrote:
Favre.com wrote:I really can't see how I can be worried about Dom Davis. The guy has a minor injury now, but he was about as dominant as any other runningback when he got the chance last year, I think the coaching staff saw his skills and potential and will not just throw that away and make him split because he is minorly injured right now.

It has nothing to do with injury, but for some reason, the Houston coaching staff is actually really high on Tony Hollings and have mentioned on two occasions that they want to get him something like 8-12 carries a game. Not sure on the exact number, but it was something like that.

Would you rather have Dom Davis or Barlow in a dynasty then? (I have made another thread about the comparison btw).
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Favre.com » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:36 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:Could it be that football is evolving in an un-fantasy-friendly way? RBBC seems to be the norm these days, to som eextent at least. One back carrying the whole load is rare, and those guys are head and shoulders above the rest as far as fantasy value. Westbrook is obviously not one of those guys.

Still, he is the featured back in that offense and should still get the majority of carries.

He's no Priest Holmes, Deuce, Ahman, LT, Fred Taylor, Edge, or Shaun A. I'd categorize him with Stephen Davis.

Davis and Westbrook are completely diffrent types of backs, also I think Davis will split more then Westbrook.
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby East Bay Ray » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:55 pm

Andy Reid loves to spread the ball out and splits the touches pretty much evenly. He not interested in giving any back 20-25 carries a game. He wants to keep defenses on their toes. He likes to mix it up.

IMO, with Andy Reids coaching style, I just dont see Westbrook being a 20-25 carry game back and with the addition of TO, I also dont see him getting over 6 TDs. In any case, if Andy Reid has a RB on the bench, he's going to use them.

I hope I'm wrong, because Philly is my team and I hope Westbrook scores 17+ TDs. Anyways, I wouldnt be that worried. He will touch the ball and get a few TDs, but I dont think hes going to be a workhorse RB like a Tomlinson or an Alexander.
East Bay Ray
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:06 pm

East Bay Ray wrote:Andy Reid loves to spread the ball out and splits the touches pretty much evenly. He not interested in giving any back 20-25 carries a game. He wants to keep defenses on their toes. He likes to mix it up.

Except he's got no one even comparable to Westbrook in the backfield. Last year Philly had 3 guys who were too good to sit. Every year before that under Reid it was the Duce Staley show in the backfield, because no one else was as good as Duce. Unless Mahe or McCoo really steps up, they and Levens will only serve to relieve Westbrook.

East Bay Ray wrote:IMO, with Andy Reids coaching style, I just dont see Westbrook being a 20-25 carry game back and with the addition of TO, I also dont see him getting over 6 TDs. In any case, if Andy Reid has a RB on the bench, he's going to use them.

This is a common misconception I see so many people make with so many teams. When a big time play maker like TO moves to a new team, other key players in that offense are usually predicted to get less TDs. The logic seems sound a first: X amount of TDs to be scored, now someone else is taking a bigger chunk. However, the flaw is that a new weapon equates to better offense, yielding more TDs. While TO should easily get 10 TDs, he will generate more TDs overall for Philly.

Also, Duce and Buckhalter are out. They totalled for 16 TDs. Those TDs must go to someone, unless the offense scores less often, which is highly unlikely. So, some will go to TO, some to Mahe/Levens/McCoo, and some to Westbrook.

I'm not going to predict over 15 TDs for Westbrook, but he gets the same as last year easy. 15+ is in the bag if he continues to perform like he did last year, but predicting that much is a little too much intuition, and not enough statistics.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Guru » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:47 pm

Westbrook will probably get 15-20 carries in some games and 20-25 in other games.

But that doesn't even matter.

In every game he will get over 20 touches with his catching ability. He is the perfect RB for the west coast offense.

He has no RB to take goal-line carries from him. Mahe is the backup and he is also a small RB, so no worries there.

Westbrook is one of the best #2 RBs you can have this year. I have him ranked as the #12th RB.
"Let's hug it out"
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tman570 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:15 pm

The Guru wrote:Westbrook will probably get 15-20 carries in some games and 20-25 in other games.

But that doesn't even matter.

In every game he will get over 20 touches with his catching ability. He is the perfect RB for the west coast offense.

He has no RB to take goal-line carries from him. Mahe is the backup and he is also a small RB, so no worries there.

Westbrook is one of the best #2 RBs you can have this year. I have him ranked as the #12th RB.

Well I agree with this all the way. He is my #2 back behind green and I think He will be a supurb #2 as far as FF goes. Who knows, if he has a big year we might see him ranked as a #1 quality back for next years draft.
tman570
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk