Steeler/NFL MatchUp Host Merril Hoge w/Cancer - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Steeler/NFL MatchUp Host Merril Hoge w/Cancer

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steeler/NFL MatchUp Host Merril Hoge w/Cancer

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:58 pm

Friday, March 21
Updated: March 23, 10:05 AM ET
Hoge: "I'll accept nothing but total victory"

ESPN.com news services:
PITTSBURGH -- Former Steelers running back Merril Hoge is battling non-Hodgkins lymphoma, but predicts he'll beat it and will be healthy by the beginning of the summer.
"The power of the spirit enhances the mental and physical approach, and that's 90 percent of it," Hoge said to ESPN. "I'm accepting nothing but total victory. I don't have one ounce of fear in me."
Hoge was a 10th-round draft choice out of Idaho State and played in Pittsburgh from 1987 to '93. But while he was with the Chicago Bears in 1994, Hoge was forced out of football because of a series of concussions he suffered during his career.

Hoge said he learned of his diagnosis last month, but believed doctors discovered it early enough to treat it.

Many of you may not remember Merril Hoge as a Steeler RB, but may know him as the co-host of the Edge NFL Match-Up show along with Ron Jaworski.
IMO - one of, if not THE best - sources of information on the NFL.
I always liked Hoge, incredible work ethic, and, on the show, generally agree with his take on the NFL. Especially his love of the "factor back", the phrase he's so famous for.
Best wishes to Merril.
A fighter then and now.
~SW
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:04 pm

Very sad :( but i love his spirit. He will win !!
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby chaindog35 » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:26 pm

Yeah, Hoge is a class act. I hope everything turns out fine for him.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kashikis » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:33 am

good luck merril and get better soon ;-D
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:35 pm

This really sucks,I love Merril Hoge.
It is a tough battle to beat any cancer,my dad lost that battle 2 years ago...I hope Merril beats it...my prayers are with him.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:21 pm

Sorry to hear that, Guttpuppy. Not much to say, and no way to say it right - cancer is simply awful. :,-(

Hoge is indeed a class act, and I used to love watching him play. If what they say about a positive outlook possibly increasing chances of recovery is true, he'll win this battle.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DUKE » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:17 pm

That indeed is a sad story, and sucks to hear about anyone having to battle with such an infamous disease. I'm very sorry to hear that GP. I lost two close family members to Cancer as well. I wish the best to Hoge. He was a tough guy on the field and seems to be taking this on with the same attitude. Didn't he battle with post concussion symptoms? I thought I remembered hearing of how he would be driving home and sometimes totally forget where he was momentarily, which he alleged to be a result of some of the concussions he suffered from on the playing field. I've heard him speak in a few interviews, and he seems to be a very cool guy, and also knows the game well. Again; Good Luck Meril!
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby hayesb26 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:21 pm

agreed duke! good luck merril ;-D
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner