When is it safe to take a flier on McCardell? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When is it safe to take a flier on McCardell?

Moderator: Football Moderators

When is it safe to take a flier on McCardell?

Postby nsulham » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:24 am

The guy HAS to sign sometime right? The itch to play has to get to him doesn't it?

18th round of a 10-team league as a 6th WR? Does that seem like a fair risk to take?
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Kmac

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:34 am

I would say that is a safe bet.

You aren't losing any real roster space if your r/bs are 4 deep.

I wish he'd get off his a55 and sign something. He is costing me valuable space on a team that drafted earlier in the year.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:58 am

If you're otherwise set, then the last pick in an 18 team draft sounds reasonable. But regardless, I wouldn't expect the same results as last year. There are a lot more offensive options (I hesitate to use the word "weapons") in Tampa this year, meaning fewer balls to go around.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:01 am

agreed, he will now have to compete with Galloway, Brown, Clayton.... if he comes back-

I rank him the same rank I give David Boston-
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bungle613 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:48 am

I did in my last round and got beat out in the last orund my another owner in different draft. Last or second last round as long as you have no needs imo. I agree, the guy has to sign somewhere. 34 years old and demanding money because he finally had a very good season. wtf is his problem? I hate guys like this.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:07 am

bungle613 wrote:34 years old and demanding money because he finally had a very good season. wtf is his problem? I hate guys like this.

I am with you. He says he wants to be paid like one of the top receivers in the league. BS. He had a very good season last year because Keyshawn was out and they needed someone to throw the ball to (he did make some really nice catches tho).

In no way does Keenan deserve to be paid like a top 10 WR in the NFL.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:21 am

I wouldn't be too sure about McCardell signing for sure... He's kind of made his bed, at this point, and it would be hard for him to sign for less than he has demanded... Tampa has gone out and gotten some quality WR's... They have up and coming youth in Clayton and Lee, a proven veteran in Tim Brown, and something in between in the form of Joey Galloway... They also know that McCardell is towards the end of his career, and is not the future in Tampa... They might be content to let the new guys get the reps with a very efficient Brad Johnson at QB before they have to break in Chris Simms next year... Gruden is smart that way...

We also saw how stubborn John Gruden and Malcolm Glazer can be last year with Keyshawn Johnson... They had no problem telling their number one WR to take a hike last year, and I don't see any reason why the McCardell situation would be any diffferent... IMO, the only way McCardell signs is if he drops his asking price, and I'm not sure he's willing to do that...

I would take a flier on him in the teen rounds, when the options on the board are guys like Marcus Robinson and David Givens, but I wouldn't take him while there are still #1's like Kevin Johnson or quality sleepers like Brandon Lloyd available...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cwhitty » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:12 am

cwhitty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kanezfan11 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:15 am

Superfly wrote:agreed, he will now have to compete with Galloway, Brown, Clayton.... if he comes back-

I rank him the same rank I give David Boston-

They had him on SportsCenter and he said he's not gonna play for the Bucs anymore... If/When he plays he said it will be somewhere else, it's just a matter of where.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bungle613 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:16 am

Plindsey88 wrote:I wouldn't be too sure about McCardell signing for sure... He's kind of made his bed, at this point, and it would be hard for him to sign for less than he has demanded... Tampa has gone out and gotten some quality WR's... They have up and coming youth in Clayton and Lee, a proven veteran in Tim Brown, and something in between in the form of Joey Galloway... They also know that McCardell is towards the end of his career, and is not the future in Tampa... They might be content to let the new guys get the reps with a very efficient Brad Johnson at QB before they have to break in Chris Simms next year... Gruden is smart that way...

We also saw how stubborn John Gruden and Malcolm Glazer can be last year with Keyshawn Johnson... They had no problem telling their number one WR to take a hike last year, and I don't see any reason why the McCardell situation would be any diffferent... IMO, the only way McCardell signs is if he drops his asking price, and I'm not sure he's willing to do that...

I would take a flier on him in the teen rounds, when the options on the board are guys like Marcus Robinson and David Givens, but I wouldn't take him while there are still #1's like Kevin Johnson or quality sleepers like Brandon Lloyd available...

Biggest issue here is that if he doesn't play this year, his career is over. 34 y/o and sitting out a year! What kind of money will that get him next year? Nothing. He HAS to sign.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk